crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenchild9to5

Great work @a1ex you tried your best thank you for all the updates. 

goldenchild9to5

@tifose You should try a different card with your camera.  Also use a flash light or light source look inside the card bay to see if any of your pins are bent, if not you may have a problem. 

csound

I have the null pointer bug warning coming up with April 21 build. Message says to contact ML developers on IRC Magic Lantern freenode. Tried but not sure I was at correct place to do this - Alex can you supply URL please. Unfortunately don't have old logs.

lostfeliz

I've been experimenting with the 3K crop and 1080p slow motion, etc from the experimental build. Amazing stuff. It's hard to say, of course, how long it will be before usability is nailed down. Wondering if there might be a shorter term move to combine the "simple" 1080p24/30 lossless recording that's been developed along with the MLV Sound module? I would love to incorporate something like that to my everyday run and gun interviews and b-roll without the occasional random breaks in recording and the extra large files that quickly fill up my cards.

(this was posted in reverse engineering but it was recommended that I delete it and post here)

hjfilmspeed

I just tested and this is my favorite build yet!!!

Scene is well exposed fine detail @ ISO 3200
3072 x 1308 (or what ever 2.35:1) Is working extremely well in 5x zoom 12 bit lossless fps override 24.006 and framing preview. I disable the crop rec mod while recording in 5x (not sure if I should use crop rec and 5x at the same time) converting DNGs as I type.
Edit: Out of about 10,000 frames not one bad frame!!!!!!

a1ex

@hjfilmspeed: the centered x5 preset from crop_rec is for x5 zoom; all the others are for non-zoomed modes. The help at the bottom should tell you. You can also choose 23.976 for FPS override.

@csound: type IRC in your browser's search box (CTRL-F) ;)

@dfort: yes, I've looked into it because of your report, but it was my explicit request to try the bad commit, not a regular user trying it for e.g. timelapse or whatever. Also, this branch has a lot of stuff that can be broken into smaller branches and back-ported to all other models, in the main builds (already started with this PR).

@lostfeliz: I was also thinking to add mlv_sound compatibility to mlv_lite, just didn't look into it yet (since, for my own use, only the full-res and 4K half-FPS modes are interesting - for extracting still frames from a burst sequence, or for timelapse). That's the reason you see weird changes such as single-buffering, ability to record with only 2 buffers, half-shutter trigger etc.

csound

Quote@csound: type IRC in your browser's search box (CTRL-F) ;)

A1ex, apologies for being a newbe clutz - but what do I do when I get to freenode?

Lars Steenhoff

Alex sound would be great, and if the manual lens info could be merged into it, that would be nice too.

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: a1ex on April 22, 2017, 08:51:49 AM
@hjfilmspeed: the centered x5 preset from crop_rec is for x5 zoom; all the others are for non-zoomed modes. The help at the bottom should tell you. You can also choose 23.976 for FPS override.

@a1ex OHHHHHH I didn't even see that option! That mode also lets you use 12bit and at 3200 iso im getting what seems to be continuous 3072x1308 24 FPS!!!! And its centered!!!!! and you can use the zoomed real time preview if you don't want to use the framing preview!!! No crashes so far.
The only thing I noticed is the shutter speed in at the bottom didn't seem to be registering the right number. Unless something else is going on here. The cameras shutter speed was 1/50 but when zoomed + fps override it showed 1/27 or 1/37 or something like that.
But wow .... This is impressive!!!!  THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!!
This is much more exciting then the C- log announcement. 

a1ex

The shutter speed issue appears only when using the 5x preset (it appears fine without crop_rec); can you confirm?

tifose

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: a1ex on April 22, 2017, 10:00:03 AM
The shutter speed issue appears only when using the 5x preset (it appears fine without crop_rec); can you confirm?
Yup confirmed. Just crop mode 5x preset @a1ex just tested now. 5x without crop mode fine.

I also started seeing these stuck pixels pop up in 1:1 5x liveview real time iso3200 1/50 that wouldn't be there in normal 5x zoom real time. I think its Just in the liveview. I didn't try to see if it would appear in RAW file.  Focus box was in was centered in both cases. I feel like this has been covered and I appollowgize if it was.

BBA

Thanks a lot for the groundbreaking work !!! Keep going !!!!

[Deleted].
I don't know if it can help

hjfilmspeed

Wow FYI everyone I just did a 5div 4k vs 5diii 3k and 5d3 3k is sooooo much sharper and much more cinematic.

Same for 1080 5diii looks a lot better! I can't believe 2012 5diii has better video quality.

I guess the real test will be when 5div gets RAW video.

BBA

Very nice !

Restarted everything from new download.
Loaded only the mlv_lite.mo module
Everything seems OK !

goldenchild9to5

@a1ex Tested the latest build it's solid.. Only got one crash when I was using slowmo 45p / 48p, but when I switch to 50p / 60p mode it seems to work fine.  What's the difference between those two slowmo modes other than fps because on the 50p / 60p mode I was able to record @ 48p?   

@hjfilmspeed Awesome didn't think the 5D III could be sharper than the Mark iv in 3k, and definitely the motion in 3K is very cinematic I posted about that.  All I'm gonna say is a1ex got the keys.. keys.. keys..  Can you share a short clip of each camera?  Did you zoom in 200% - 400% to pixel peep. 

hjfilmspeed

@goldenchild9to5 I'll post my quick test but before I hard conclude this I'll have to give the 5div a more suitable test.
I zoomed in and its really hard to to make a conclusion here but in both cases I gave the 5div the advantage especially with autofocus. First 2 shots are 1080 shots 3 and 4 are the higher resolution.
I tried to grade the RAW fairly.
See if you can tell what's what. I like the RAW better for sure.
If you download it it's a Cineform AVI in UHD
Also keep in mind I can only export UHD from Resolve.
https://vimeo.com/214307580

goldenchild9to5

@hjfilmspeed You are definitely right the 5D III images looks better especially in 3K..

a1ex

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on April 22, 2017, 06:13:38 PM
What's the difference between those two slowmo modes [slowmo 45p / 48p and 50p / 60p] other than fps because on the 50p / 60p mode I was able to record @ 48p?

FPS and vertical resolution. The 48p mode is really pushed to the limit (already discussed), while the 45p should have a little more headroom.

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on April 22, 2017, 09:24:43 AM
The cameras shutter speed was 1/50 but when zoomed + fps override it showed 1/27 or 1/37 or something like that.

Solved, it was just an oversight from my side.

Also fine-tuned the preview behavior: you can use a long half-shutter press to change between framing and real-time (e.g. if you normally use the centered real-time preview in x5 zoom, but you also want to check the framing every now and then, just press half-shutter for 1 second or so).

goldenchild9to5

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: a1ex on April 22, 2017, 09:41:08 PM
Solved, it was just an oversight from my side.

Also fine-tuned the preview behavior: you can use a long half-shutter press to change between framing and real-time (e.g. if you normally use the centered real-time preview in x5 zoom, but you also want to check the framing every now and then, just press half-shutter for 1 second or so).
This is incredible! Soooo impressed!

Also I just replaced my test with a much better one

https://vimeo.com/214307580
This means Either Canons 5Div 4K is actually 3K
or
That we get to call 5D3 ML 3K  ... 4K
4 Clips
2 are 5div 1/100 f11 ISO 400 Sigma Art 35mm 4k
2 are 5Diii 1/50 f11 ISO 400 Sigma Art 35mm 3k  ML
14bit lossless using 4-21-2017 4K Crop Rec build
(I underexposed the 5Div because I was clipping highlights at 1/50 shutter)
Both rendered to Cineform UHD and both were precisely focussed on the crosshatch on the color chart.
Can you tell which is which.
Download and zoom in. It's a UHD Cineform AVI
5Diii was quickly graded to match Canon's neutral picture style of the 5div

DeafEyeJedi

Sorry to be a party pooper but can anyone else confirm that this is reproducible (it seems to be on my end w build 2017-04-22 for 5D3.123) if one were to record in 3504x1400 resolution (and only in that resolution which is 2.50:1)?

It seems to produce a pattern of corruption after each 36th DNG frame from 14-bit lossless shot in 24p.

Here's an original corrupted 36th DNG: https://bitbucket.org/DeafEyeJedi/magic-lantern/downloads/5D3.123_3504x1400_corruption%3F.dng

Settings used in ML:

SO far in other resolutions seems to be getting better results other than the random first DNG's being either black (blank) or half screen corruptions, etc from each certain MLV's. Gotta troubleshoot some more on this to narrow down the culprit. Don't think it's random at all.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

goldenchild9to5

@hjfilmspeed Great test.. This one was pretty hard to tell the difference.  Is the 5D III scenes 2 & 4?

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on April 22, 2017, 11:02:01 PM
@hjfilmspeed Great test.. This one was pretty hard to tell the difference.  Is the 5D III scenes 2 & 4?
@ goldenchild9to5 did you download and zoom in? Which looks sharper or which do you prefer?

a1ex

@DeafEyeJedi: does it help if you reduce the vertical resolution from the crop_rec submenu a bit? (e.g. instead of 1536, try 1500, 1450, 1400)

If you can reproduce it consistently without the resolution override, try the following patches

edit: nevermind; had some hypotheses, but rejected all of them.

Reproduced.