crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GutterPump

Not agree, experimentals builds help to understand better the universe of Magic Lantern, it's a big help for the community, the developpement is more fast, Alpha testers are more large.

Do not delete them, the simple warning message in the top of page is enough. People have been warned from the beginning with the risks of Magic Lantern.

Lars Steenhoff

Experimental builds are the soul of magic lantern right now, it allows people to test lit the latest and give very valuable feedback, @walter if someone dont like them, or are scared it may harm they are free not to use them, but i for one love them.

zeus12

The experimental version of magic lantern is on the cutting edge, frustratingly cutting edge. It's part of the struggle for the code-blind mortals who's pulling their hairs out and ask the stupidest questions on the board. The struggles make magic lantern exhilarating,  and inspires participants to make better picture, better videos. Most of us do not post anything on the board just for the fear of sounding really really..... stupid. However, we do really appreciate the "geniuses" and generosity of those immortals such as Alex. Please bear with us.
By the way, I finally get UHD to work as well as 1080p @45fps. The DNGs were generated with Rawflow (page 13 of this board). Somehow, the first frame is always bad and the rest are splendid.
Thanks for all the immortals on the board and hope you can improve magic lantern further and let the mortals to try the experimental versions. The 'code blind" mortals can't contribute much to the development of magic lantern. But we will do more volunteers to places such as "soup kitchen" to feed the homeless as our appreciation.

dfort

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 18, 2017, 08:15:47 PM
My opinion: Get rid of those experimental builds. It invites users not ready for experiments on this level.

I was posting test builds for the 12-bit (and 10-bit) RAW video development discussion before the Experiments page went live so I feel partially responsible for rolling that snowball.

It would be great if more users would set up development environments or at least take a good look at the code. Even if you can't compile or understand the code, there are some great comments in there that explains what the developers are doing and perhaps more importantly, what areas still need some more testing. For example, in the crop_rec.c file of the crop_rec_4k branch (to stay on topic) you'll find this:

/* max resolution for each video mode (trial and error) */
/* it's usually possible to push the numbers a few pixels further,
* at the risk of corrupted frames */
static int max_resolutions[NUM_CROP_PRESETS][5] = {
                                /*   24p   25p   30p   50p   60p */
    [CROP_PRESET_3X_TALL]       = { 1920, 1728, 1536,  960,  800 },
    [CROP_PRESET_3x3_1X]        = { 1290, 1290, 1290,  960,  800 },
    [CROP_PRESET_3x3_1X_48p]    = { 1290, 1290, 1290, 1080, 1080 }, /* 1080p45/48 */
    [CROP_PRESET_3K]            = { 1920, 1728, 1504,  760,  680 },
    [CROP_PRESET_UHD]           = { 1536, 1472, 1120,  640,  540 },
    [CROP_PRESET_4K_HFPS]       = { 2560, 2560, 2500, 1440, 1200 },
    [CROP_PRESET_FULLRES_LV]    = { 3870, 3870, 3870, 3870, 3870 },
};

So instead of simply reporting corrupt frames, indicate the resolution where you start getting corrupt frames and how far you had to back off to get consistently clean results. If you can compile, try pushing it a little further and report how far you can go before it breaks.

a1ex

Quote from: dfort on April 19, 2017, 09:01:18 AM
So instead of simply reporting corrupt frames, indicate the resolution where you start getting corrupt frames and how far you had to back off to get consistently clean results. If you can compile, try pushing it a little further and report how far you can go before it breaks.

For this particular snippet, vertical resolution is actually adjustable from the crop_rec submenu (no need to compile). I don't remember anyone trying to change it, even though I've mentioned it a few times (including first post).

garry23

@dfort

I agree with your 'set up a development environment', and, as you know, I wish to do this.

However, and this is a big however, not all of us are competent to do that without very clear and simple instructions.

I have tried to set up such an environment, and although the instructions I was following were good, they still assumed some knowledge I don't have. I kept getting error messages and gave up :-(

From my perspective it would be good to reset/start an ML page specifically directed at getting your own compile environment up and running, and keep Win and Mac instructions separate. Also this page should be written from a nil knowledge perspective, i.e. for 'idiots' like me.

Of course, I appreciate I'm asking a lot, i.e. someone who knows what they are doing sitting down and writing that page.

But until I can follow a simple workflow for setting up a compile environment, I flummoxed.

Cheers

Garry

Danne

Just start out with what´s not working in one of the compiling threads and take it from there. It´s impossible to account for every single thing that comes up when compiling although dfort´s efforts made it much easier, especially for mac users.
I´m pretty confident the solution won´t be far when out in the open.
Here are two threads if anyone is interested. There are more efforts and threads out there.
Mac
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16012.0
Windows
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15894.0

Walter Schulz

I followed Mac instructions and have my own machine running for some time. Had to build a Hackintosh for that and I'm a Windows guy.
Didn't test Windows workflow, yet.

Quentin

Having involved into beta testing of 3d software in the past, in my humble experience, its good to keep an order in information coming, sort them, classify them, confirm symptoms etc. Its very hard

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: a1ex on April 19, 2017, 09:23:24 AM
For this particular snippet, vertical resolution is actually adjustable from the crop_rec submenu (no need to compile). I don't remember anyone trying to change it, even though I've mentioned it a few times (including first post).

@a1ex I have to say, I was super nervous about changing those settings since I didn't do enough research on what they mean but Ill see if I can figure it out. Has anyone one tried tweaking those? What did you find?

a1ex

Simple example: if you often get corrupted frames in 1080p48, dial 1040 (or some other value lower than 1080) in the Target YRES field. Then refresh the LiveView manually (e.g. press MENU twice) and the resolution in RAW video menu should update.

Set 0 to disable the override and go back to default value.

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: a1ex on April 19, 2017, 04:58:42 PM
Simple example: if you often get corrupted frames in 1080p48, dial 1040 (or some other value lower than 1080) in the Target YRES field. Then refresh the LiveView manually (e.g. press MENU twice) and the resolution in RAW video menu should update.

Set 0 to disable the override and go back to default value.
@a1ex Ohhh cool! Do you have to match the value in the MLV Lite options?

a1ex

This sets the maximum vertical resolution available for the raw recorder (which records a cropped section from the full-size raw buffer).

Quentin

It takes 5 minutes to dial proper number.
I would prefer a number to subtract rather than setting absolute vertical resolution.
Its faster and practical.

hindra

I'd actually like to try and raise the vertical resolution and shorten the width to try and get the closest to 16:9 at highest resolution possible.
SL1 100D.100A - 5D - 7D2 - 5D3 1.2.3

a1ex

@Quentin: have you tried using SET, left/right and scrollwheel?

The same controls are in many other places in ML menu, whenever you need to input a large number (check e.g. intervalometer).

Quentin

Thanks a1ex, too many things to remember/learn
Its hard to carry a manual with you :D

tifose

hindra

Quote from: tifose on April 20, 2017, 01:07:33 PM
Whats the best Card to use?

I'm not sure on the best card, but I have had great success with Lexar 32gb and 128gb 1066x CF cards.
SL1 100D.100A - 5D - 7D2 - 5D3 1.2.3

Lars Steenhoff

same for the fastest sandisk cf 160 mb 128 gb they work great for me.

tifose

Thanks guys will get one  my CF card stop working in camera

Walter Schulz

If your card is working in cardreader but not in cam you might have a defective cam.

a1ex

New build:
- centered x5 zoom is back (3.5K with 8...12-bit lossless compression)
- disabled 8...12-bit lossless in incompatible modes (sorry, still couldn't figure out how to fix them)
- for bit depths between 8 and 11, the choice is now automatic, depending on ISO (see this post)
- fixed silent pics (a bit sad to see them broken for 3 weeks with no bugs reported)
- minor UI fine-tunings.

dfort

Quote from: a1ex on April 21, 2017, 11:55:05 PM
- fixed silent pics (a bit sad to see them broken for 3 weeks with no bugs reported)

Sorry I noticed that while trying to get lossless compression working on other cameras but didn't create a proper bug report--though I did point it out. I'm working on the compressed_raw branch but maybe the crop_rec_4k branch has the latest changes? Noted that  lossless.c and silent.c aren't in sync between these two branches.

tifose

@Walter Schulz

it is working in my Reader and 5Ds

i use to use my 5DMk3 for Raw just didn't use it in over a year not sure why this is happening any idea how this can be fix?