crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hindra

Quote from: Quentin on April 15, 2017, 08:19:26 PM
Unfortunately I erased the videos.
But ... how do we attach an image on the post ?
Sorry for my ignorance ?

I upload to imgur.com and copy/paste the BBCcode link in the forum post.
SL1 100D.100A - 5D - 7D2 - 5D3 1.2.3

pc_bel

Testing last build april14th.
Tearing issue in 1920x96050p3x3 is gone (I understand because modification of buffering). It is almost perfect for me. I'm really grateful, thanks A1ex!!!... It was a dream some time ago, and now...
Thank you very very much...

Now the only downside is recording time with hi isos in 14bit lossless and incorrect framing, but I can live with that.

Thanks again!!!!!!!

Kharak

I successfully downloaded Apr14 build, but it did not do a ROM Test at start, not that I could see atleast. Do I need to download Apr10 specifically for the ROM test ?

Anyways, with this build I have correct/centered framing at 3072x1728 14Bit Lossless 16:9. Very nice! Will actually start using this thing now.
once you go raw you never go back

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Kharak on April 15, 2017, 11:00:41 PM
I successfully downloaded Apr14 build, but it did not do a ROM Test at start, not that I could see atleast. Do I need to download Apr10 specifically for the ROM test ?

Have you tried running firmware update again from Canon menu and restart camera?

If no messages prompts up afterwards then you haven't been affected from that April 4th null pointer bug.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

etienne

Hey

Great job for the low bit depth it opens great perspective to play around the 3.5k.

Here is my bug encouters for low bit depth 8,9,10,11:

-  the expo is darken in the realtime preview and hdmi out. realtimre preview for 8 bit totally unusable (this is bas for focusing) framing mode is working better but focus is still not possible from there.

- 1:1 Tall have the lower of the image not displayed correctly like mentionned for slow mode

- non working on 3K mode and higher

Can we expect a mlv sound coming back? post synchro is so burden with just the beep :P

Kharak

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on April 16, 2017, 04:57:43 AM
Have you tried running firmware update again from Canon menu and restart camera?

If no messages prompts up afterwards then you haven't been affected from that April 4th null pointer bug.

Thank you, Deafeye. I did as you said, update from Canon and restart. But could not see any test being done. Thought I saw a screenshot from someone doing the test and there was like this 0-100 Counter, maybe I am mixing it up with something else.

Its just a pain for me downloading builds cause I am on Satellite internet, I get 4-5 kb/s on a good day and then there are constant dropouts which which require me to start the download all over again... Just loading this forum page takes forever, and its only text more or less..

So its safe to assume that I need to download apr10 build because it has the Rom Test ?
once you go raw you never go back

a1ex

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/crop_rec_4k/src/debug.c?fileviewer=file-view-default#debug.c-288

If no errors are present, no obvious feedback is given (other than an extra LED blink, which is pretty obvious to me).

Quote from: Kharak on April 16, 2017, 03:31:17 PM
I get 4-5 kb/s on a good day and then there are constant dropouts which which require me to start the download all over again... Just loading this forum page takes forever, and its only text more or less..

Here's what helped me on a similar connection, besides obvious things such as disabling images or using a text-mode browser (mobile connection with poor signal, far away from the city, 4K/s at best):

http://lartc.org/wondershaper/

There are probably equivalents for other operating systems. The idea is to reduce download speed so you can load other pages (or use a chat client) while a long download is running.

Having a remote server accessible with VNC, with a very low image quality setting, can be also helpful (as loading a JPEG preview of a webpage can often have much lower bandwidth than its HTML+CSS+JS+images).

For a download with frequent dropouts, just leave a "wget" command open in background (as it doesn't give up easily, unlike most browsers).

dfort

There seems to be lots of interest getting crop_rec on steroids working on other cameras.

The EOSM can already do basic 3x3 720p crop_rec and I got it working a while ago on the 700D but was trying to get the other options available on the 5D3 working before doing a pull request. I haven't gotten very far but since other users are also experimenting with adtg_gui, dm-spy and other ML tools to get 4K working on their cameras, maybe we should learn to crawl before attempting to fly so I posted a pull request for limited support of the crop_rec module for the 700D.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/824/crop_rec-for-700d/diff

Uploaded a new test build in my bitbucket download area.

https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/

rubnva

Tested the new software update with my Canon 5D Mark III and I used this video mode: 1920x960 @ 50p (both 1:1 crop and full-frame - 3x3 pixel binning) - continuous*)
but al converted (with MLV Mystic) DNG"s are corrupt (pink pixels)

Check my MLV file here: https://we.tl/lvASYcNcRx

Some help please? :)

mk11174

On the 700D, I finally found the reg needed to fix the darkened lower half of the image when trying for higher resolution than 2048x1152.
It was ADTG2[82B6].
Best fps I can get without a freeze at this res is 10.639fps.
Don't mind the crappy image quality, room was dark and was to lazy to turn on the light for testing, LOL, was shooting 3200ISO.

500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

hjfilmspeed

Sorry for the double post!!! But I Just tested 4-14 build 12 bit 3072 2.35:1 at 23.976 ISO 3200 with the old 5x zoom method and it seemed like it was endless. Over 20 secs for sure!!!! DNGS are clean and processed fine and all worked in resolve.
So the this will work for sure!!!! Just need to get the crop rec working. Way easier said then done no doubt. this is crazy tho. 3k 12bit lossless 24p on a 2012 5D

a1ex

@hjfilmspeed: already reported and answered a few times...

Framing preview works fine and shows what you are going to get.

hjfilmspeed

Ahh sorry @a1ex missed that. But the concept is there. This is really awesome!

treez

Great work...but how to convert the crop mode *.mlv file. I use MLVrawviewer but it crashes.
Any Tips or ideas?

Thnxs.

zeus12

Can anyone post their advanced settings on the crop_rec on 5D3123 so that I can get the crop from the center? Currently it looks the crop start from the extreme right side of the sensor (3K).

Thanks for all your hero members for the advancement.

Quentin

Admiration for many reasons
For revolutionary development of out of this world features , for so many cameras
Baby sitting the forums with so many users of so many experiences and variation of needs and knowledge
I surrender, I could not do that

BBA

etx

Quote from: zeus12 on April 17, 2017, 04:50:49 PM
Can anyone post their advanced settings on the crop_rec on 5D3123 so that I can get the crop from the center? Currently it looks the crop start from the extreme right side of the sensor (3K).

Thanks for all your hero members for the advancement.

Don't use 5x mode like before. If your in regular live view you will get proper framing. It's a bit faster than before also! If you go to 5x mode the framing is off. Took me a bit to figure this out. HDMI preview isn't working yet in this mode but it's amazing none the less. I'm standing by until it does so I can use the 5D on my Movi again.

child01

Can ANYONE point where is a precise step by step instruction of using mlv_dump?

Yes, I know - noob! how da hell ... and so

But I'm using ML almost since it's first build, but thankfully chmee wrote his tool very soon...
I was always using RAW2CDNG, but now I have to deal with this rocket science - command line stuff ((
And there's no clear and simple TUTORIAL here on forum or youtube video tutorial. Everything I've found is either outdated or people being sarcastic (not helping) and in most cases for MAC (why mlv_dump discussions are always mac oriented?)

A1ex is so helping and responsive. I don't get it why didn't he created a normal software with UI ...or clear and simple tutorial or list of commands for us to just copy/paste?
Why not implement at least base and commonly used commands into mlv_dump somehow? Or enable drag'n'drop functionality? anything simple
:-\

who can help - what should I do with mlv_dump on PC to simply convert MLV to DNG?
FreeRAW

Easygoingmartin

Hey guys.. i'm kinda new to ML.. i've loaded this experimental build and started trying to record in UHD. I've loaded the Rec_crop module and tried the UHD setting. Now the 1080p/50fps setting works sortof(it's not actually "slow motion" since windows still recognizes it as 29fps) the 3K/UHD/4K setting won't work. There's a weird purple/pink artifact going on when i try to film.

Would that mean i have to record in RAW? If so, what are the appropiate modules i have to activate to make it work?

Thanks jn advance!

Ryan Lightbourn

Is anyone getting continuous 3K raw in 4:3 aspect ratio (for 2x anamorphic shooting)? If somebody can confirm I'll pull the trigger on a used 5D3 body!
twitter.com/ryanlightbourn
instagram.com/ryanlightbourn
ryanlightbourn.net

g3gg0

Quote from: child01 on April 18, 2017, 01:55:50 PM
A1ex is so helping and responsive. I don't get it why didn't he created a normal software with UI ...or clear and simple tutorial or list of commands for us to just copy/paste?
Why not implement at least base and commonly used commands into mlv_dump somehow? Or enable drag'n'drop functionality? anything simple
:-\

pay him 4k€ a month and he will probably do this additional work on saturday and sunday night - the only time when he usually sleeps.

ah and i forgot to mention that i implemented mlv_dump as reference implementation, tool for ML devs, users on nerd level 100 and fallback solution.
*if* there is a proper GUI frontend - go for it, else mlv_dump has to do the job :)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Walter Schulz

My opinion: Get rid of those experimental builds. It invites users not ready for experiments on this level.
Those wanting to go there may
a) have an environment to make their own builds
or
b) rely on a helping hand building it for them on demand.

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 18, 2017, 08:15:47 PM
My opinion: Get rid of those experimental builds. It invites users not ready for experiments on this level.
Those wanting to go there may
a) have an environment to make their own builds
or
b) rely on a helping hand building it for them on demand.

Hmmm I not sure I agree when it comes to experimental builds. Although I guess I don't quite get what you mean by "rely on a helping hand building it for them on demand."

On one hand, the admins hold our hands and babysit us while testing. Time consuming to say the least.
On the other hand, some of us who have been using ML for years get a chance to learn about the inner workings of ML and learn how to become better testers.
Also, when it comes to working out the bugs, us inexperience ones are the best at breaking things because we don't listen.

However I do feel that people should not get upset or wine or cry or point fingers when they can't figure something out. I think people need to be more aware that this is all volunteer work. No pay for hours of endless coding. One should not complain especially when one has no clue what is involved with coding.   

But that is my humble "I don't even know what I'm talking about but should since I have been using ML for so long and I am being grossly off topic and I should know better about that too run on quote"  opinion. An opinion to which I feel I don't even deserve to give. Compared to Walter Schulz I am a dumb dumb head.