April Fools Day prank. Put it down or go with it?

Started by Walter Schulz, March 28, 2017, 08:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Hello, fellow regulars!

April, 1st is about to land and regulars know what will happen. As a german, known to "go to the cellar for laughing" and a master there I'm not exactly a friend of this running gag.
A short step away of rising a pull request to get rid of it I hereby ask regulars about their opinion on this.

nikfreak

Don't think that pull request will get accepted. Regulars also know how to avoid it.
I also got fooled myself two years ago but around April 1st also some cool stuff was announced for us. I would rather be surprised if a1ex wouldn't have a gift for us this year but I might be also wrong on this...  It's just a guess.

edit: if you read this How about announcing 5D m4 support on 1st. Something within QEMU or whatever  :P
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Greg

Walter Schulz

Lesson learned here and in real life: People don't know how to use search functions.

irvcobb

Put it down. It scares newbies to death. I find ML so well done and so helpful that the AFP feels completely out of place.

Audionut

Well, removing the offending code does still emphasize the desire to have users running and testing the latest code.

Why do I have this blue screen problem on my camera?

Update!

mattcraigthomas

irvcobb

From today's build:

Quote016a0e5: Removed april fools prank

Thanks, A1ex.

squig

jojo

Missed a good aurora borealis this night because I thought something was wrong with ML. I don't have a remote trigger for time lapse..

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

jojo

My screen was flickering like crazy. Please tell me that it is a AFP. I'm worried..

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Walter Schulz

Update to latest nightly build or change date.

Jimmy_Mc

As someone that has been using Magic Lantern for less than a year AND living in New Zealand, I suspect that I was the first person hit with it this year.  It's childish.

g3gg0

alex recently found and fixed a nasty bug that accidentally triggered some incorrect error on some specific date combinations.
that should be fixed in latest revisions. please upgrade.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

sinuspi

Thank all the gods. May this abomination of a joke never rear its ugly head again.

I cannot help but wonder how changing the date was ever considered a sufficient workaround. Have none of you ever used sorting by date to split multiple days of a photo trip? Or, used time syncing to combine photos from several cams?

Okay, okay, it's dead, not beating it any more. :)

muggo

I'm not impressed with this childish prank either.

goodguy5000hd

I think anyone considering a practical joke or prank on those they care about should re-examine their ideas of what constitutes humor or cruelty. Our culture is filled with examples of people being mean and malicious toward each other as a "joke" and expect it to generate laughs (yes, pranks often generate malicious laughter just like countless malicious people have laughed at their victims throughout human history). "Funny" video shows are filled with someone's grandma apparently breaking a bone, followed by a laugh-track.

Please, examine your premises of what constitutes a joke and decide what a proper relationship *should* look like, with your loved ones. "April fools" is only a "thing" with trashy people who enjoy causing others pain and suffering, or laughing at those who receive pain and suffering. These people should be avoided, and their idea of "humor" rejected. Fake news can be funny satire, but convincing someone their car was demolished is simply mean.

I am here because I was photographing water birds this morning and missed countless opportunities because the shutter button no longer worked (with the "funny" BSOD), and I had to constantly pull my battery to reset the camera over and over with only about 5 shots between each BSOD. I didn't think anything was actually wrong with my camera (except ML), but I simply couldn't use it because some person believes that causing suffering for others is "humor."

I'm sorry you were brought up by trashy people, but you need not accept that this behavior is normal, and I recommend that if you want better relationships with anyone else, you re-examine your role in the world and how you treat others, and stop being mean to the innocent, especially your loved ones. You are literally creating the maliciousness in the world.

I'll be removing this code because the personalities that have created it cannot be trusted to act in a reasonable or benevolent way. Who knows if they added more code to ACTUALLY brick cameras or delete a wedding. Wouldn't that not be more "funny" than making people believe their cameras are broken (or at best, interfering with the ability to capture important photos)?

g3gg0

that code you talk about was already removed and was only in old builds.

it was added back at a time when people using ML were considered to actually be able to read an
error message and were able to do what the FAQs said about errors: boot it without ML

rest here
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!