Focus peaking in Canon zoom mode

Started by garry23, March 22, 2017, 09:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

Potentially a dumb question, but is it possible to have ML ficus peaking enabled when Canon zoom is also being used?

a1ex

Yes, if you enable raw video (it enables all overlays in the 5x zoom mode, because it can actually record that).

However, you won't get good performance in this mode, because of the softer image. Try enabling DIGIC peaking and the options from LiveView zoom tweaks instead.

garry23

@A1ex

Thanks for the hints, I'll look into the options you suggest.

Cheers

Garry

garry23

@A1ex

Played around, btw I'm trying this only in photo mode.

I'm afraid I really couldn't get any real benefit.

Basically I was looking for a way to use the ML focus peaking to give me 'better' feedback on focus.

In non zoom mode, with WA lenses it is often difficult/impossible to see/use the ML focus feedback. This appears to also be the case in zoom mode.

Anyway, thanks for your original hints. I guess I'll need to get better glasses for my old eyes  ;) :)

a1ex

To try peaking in zoom mode, you do have to switch to movie mode, as the menu warning will tell you.

If you find this useful, I may consider enabling it for photo mode as well; however, I didn't do so because, to keep things simple (in a code base already convoluted), I've just disabled all overlays in zoom mode.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: a1ex on March 23, 2017, 09:54:57 AM
...If you find this useful, I may consider enabling it for photo mode as well...

+1
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

garry23

@a1ex

Just tried out the focus peaking movie mode, which I never use, and have to say the addition of seeing the focus peaking helped settle my focus selection, i.e. not just relying on me thinking it is focus.

Therefore if this could be switched on in photo mode that would be great.

By the way, is there any chance the focus peaking feedback could be enhanced, i.e. boosted or made easier to see? One thought was an option to artificially 'bloom' the pixels around the true Focus Pixels.

a1ex

It should be something easy to compute; increasing marker size will reduce the frame rate.

Can you show a mock-up of what you have in mind?

DeafEyeJedi

Or change the colors to something more vibrant such as green which I find easier to follow its focus when in use. There are options to change this preferences in ML menu under Focus Peak.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

garry23

@a1ex

I'm only really interested in using 'enhanced' focus peaking in photo mode.

My simple idea was to switch on the pixels around the actual Focus Pixels, maybe a different colour. Also a user selected 'blooming', i.e. 1, 3 or 5, say, pixels around the Focus Pixels.

This would help you see the band of focus move through the scene.

Of course I don't know how difficult this would be to implement and I know you likely have a list of priorities.