Crop Mode not Always good Please make it optional

Started by hollywoodlover2000, March 14, 2017, 09:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hollywoodlover2000

I whish that there should be an option to Turn off crop mode
so that it would shrink the full picture down to the set quality...

for example crop mode means that it has the same effect as Digital zoom
which means that i need to position the camera a hundred miles away from the
Actor in order to have the whole Actor in the Frame that is just
a no go
so Please make an Option to Turn off Crop mode......

Audionut

Reset all Canon custom settings.  Format your card in a card reader, copy contents from nightly build to your card.

Try again.

hollywoodlover2000

I think you did not understand what i wrote, i ask why crop mode cannot be trurend off, you tell me to format the card. What has that to do with crop mode i mean if i format and reinstall then i have the same function so you didn't read what i wrote correctly.
I want to shoot Raw Videos without Cropmode, it is a fact that it cannot be turned off o.k I'm using the Nightly Built from March 12 and i quincidently had a new card in my mail today that i ordered so i did format that one and cropmode it cannot be turned off..........
Please give me Better Input!

hollywoodlover2000

I just want the image to be bigger.......on the screen..... and rather shrink mode than cropmode...........

Walter Schulz

If you don't want to use crop mode: Don't use it.
What is the problem?
Crop mode *is* optional.

DeafEyeJedi

What camera are you trying to fix this so called "digital crop mode" on @hollywoodlover2000?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dmilligan

I think maybe what OP is talking about is that if you use a lower resolution than the max of the current video mode, you get a crop instead of a downscaling. Though I'm just guessing, OP has not made it very clear what he is talking about, as there's something else called "crop mode", there's a "crop hack" on some cameras and there's now a "crop_rec.mo".

If that is indeed what OP is talking about, then his request is impossible. The only way to reduce resolution is by cropping. Rescaling involves either interpolation (which is too complex/intensive to perform in realtime on a dinky ARM CPU, and wouldn't work well due to the nature of raw Bauer CFA data), or line skipping/binning (which only allows certain specific multiples of resolution reduction, i.e. 1:3, 1:5, 1:7, etc, again due the Bayer CFA, unless you don't care about not having either a red or a blue channel). You can control the line skipping/binning factor by changing the Canon video mode or with the new crop_rec.mo

hollywoodlover2000

Well sorry if I have not given that info I have a canon 600D / T3i
with a SD Card with 100/mbs XC1 U3 how can I make a 1080p video Like this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Vzhn7q5Xk
even if  he has only be able to record 12 seconds i cannot even record one second even he has the same camera I can only
shoot 0 seconds In 1080p

I mean if I be able to turn up the resolution a Little bit  so that the image is bigger on the screen then i wouldn't mind that its croped a little.

@Walter Schulz
I think I might have missunderstood the term cropmode I ment that wenn I have tu turn the resolution down the image on the screen gets smaler and that gives me a hard time to Work with and that part is not optional, but if I could turn up the resolution then it would be o.k
Also how can i shoot with highr resolution?

@dmilligan
I have the newswest built of ML (March 12) and cannot find "crop_rec.mo"

@anyone
Please help me to make the best image quality possible.
Please give me any kind of Feedback that gets me Further.
has anyobody made ever a bigger Project with ML Using Raw?

Walter Schulz

SD-card interface in 600D is limited to about 20-21 MByte/s in write mode and that's just using benchmarks. With overhead you will be - estimated - good for about 19 MByte/s in continuous mode.
Try using ExFAT file system. My 650D (41 MByte/s limit) will allow 720p recording for some seconds with FAT32. ExFAT is continuous.

Some features are still in status "experimental" -> Top of page -> Downloads -> Downloads (drop down) -> Experimental. Take a look into 10/12-bit recording as well.

Danne

10bit works nicely with the 600D. Will help a lot with recording times.

hollywoodlover2000

@Walter Schulz
yeah you are right i just notice that this guy in the example video did not mention if he used 14,12,or 10 bit
then is that why he could do that.
I haven't found out how to turn down from 14bit yet to 10bit. Please let me know how to turn it down on Raw.....

now the other thing, the EOS 600D definatly records writingspeed on 30/mbs max. I checked  the Users manual.

However
I'm new to magic lantern Please give me any input even if it doesen't Fit this topic
I just want to make the Best out of it. :)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: hollywoodlover2000 on March 24, 2017, 08:16:12 AM
@Walter Schulz
yeah you are right i just notice that this guy in the example video did not mention if he used 14,12,or 10 bit
then is that why he could do that.

He cannot have mentioned it because he didn't have the option back in 2014.

I haven't found out how to turn down from 14bit yet to 10bit. Please let me know how to turn it down on Raw.....

You have missed the point about "experimental" in my previous post. Please follow the arrows.

now the other thing, the EOS 600D definatly records writingspeed on 30/mbs max. I checked  the Users manual.

I checked the manual and couldn't find such an reference. It is in contradiction to our findings and in contradiction to SD-card specifications. AFAIK the inferface limit is 23.84 MByte/s (1 MByte = 1024 kByte) (theoretical bandwidth limit). Please let me know about which page of the manual you are talking about.

dfort

Thought I'd throw in some of my observations about this discussion.

First of all, the referenced YouTube video wasn't shot at 1080p as indicated in the title, Sunday Alone: T3i RAW video at 1080p. The resolution was 1728 x 416 and the author claimed that he was able to record about 12 sec. But wait, there's more -- he is using an old "Tragic Lantern" build which is no longer supported. I won't provide a direct download link to it but you can get it from the YouTube post. From the name of the build it looks like 1% was doing some memory experiments possibly to record as much as possible entirely on the buffer -- this type of recording doesn't necessarily require fast SD card writing hardware. Also note that that build was using the old raw 1.0 format that has since been replaced by the MLV Lite format. If you look at that build on 1%'s bitbucket download page you'll see that it has over 29,000 downloads so it is either a very popular build or some bot did a number on that page.

So my question to @hollywoodlover2000 is if you are using the same build at the same resolution as indicated in the YouTube video?

I tried a newer build on a 700D so this isn't an apples to apples comparison but I was able to get continuous recording with MLV Lite at 1728x416 with a 14 bit depth and 23.98 frames per second. You should get similar performance on the 600D. Note that 1728x416 is a very extreme aspect ratio (4:1) and the video looks more like it was shot at 2.35:1 which is 1728 x 736. At that setting I was able to record about 12 sec.

So this should work for you:

Latest Nightly Build for your camera - https://builds.magiclantern.fm/600D-102.html
MLV Lite (no audio possible)
1728x736 (2.35:1 aspect ratio)
23.98 frames per second

Note that your Canon menu needs to be set at 1920x1080/24.

Also note that with an experimental build set at 10-bit you should be able to get longer recording times or a larger image size or higher frame rates so I see no need to use that old unsupported build.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: dfort on March 24, 2017, 07:25:42 PM
I tried a newer build on a 700D so this isn't an apples to apples comparison but I was able to get continuous recording with MLV Lite at 1728x416 with a 14 bit depth and 23.98 frames per second. You should get similar performance on the 600D.

No way! 600D SD-card interface has only half the bandwidth.

dfort

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 24, 2017, 07:33:16 PM
No way! 600D SD-card interface has only half the bandwidth.

Like I said, not an apples to apples test but the 600D has only half the bandwidth of the 700D?

I did a quick benchmark test on the 700D and came up with a write speed of 37.2 MB/s so that means the 600D can only do about 19 MB/s?

According to the MLV Lite menu, 1728x432 requires 29.8 MB/s for continuous recording so maybe the 600D should still be able to a few seconds of video at these setting.

Then again maybe the 600D has a very limited buffer size? If that's the case I'd suggest @hollywoodlover2000 turn on only the MLV Lite module and leave all the others turned off.

Walter Schulz

Outdated but gives you some of the information you are looking for.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16cgnRivbUv7nA9PUlCLmLdir3gXdIN3pqzCNAAybepc/edit#gid=5

650D, 700D, EOS M, 6D are going 40+ MByte/s indicating SDR50/DDR50 mode.
600D stops at about 21 MByte/s indicating HS/SDR25 mode.
See http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/cs_sdxc.html

dfort

Thanks for the info. Edited my post.

This gives me greater respect for 600D (and 60D, 500D, 550D, 1100D) users who are shooting raw video.