Using usb as a mic port?

Started by uwillparish, March 12, 2017, 08:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uwillparish

(I'm new here, excuse my ignorance)

Hi there,

I was wondering if maybe it's possible to use the usb-b connector on a camera such as the t5/1200d to give the camera external mic capabilities seeing as it doesn't have a stand alone connector.

a1ex

Do you know any microphones that have USB host capabilities and use the PTP protocol?

It may be possible to implement one with an Arduino or something similar, though it won't be an easy project.

simonm

Even if it was possible, there are huge issues involved. To start with you cannot monitor the crucial A to D process - the camera won't be doing it. So as A1ex says, you need something to digitise your audio and turn it into a USB datastream.

You'd do far better with an external recorder of some sort, and then sync up in post. Even a mobile phone recorder would probably do, and they do have analogue inputs you can use, for better mics, or even an analogue audio mixer. Your sync point can be almost anything where a sharp sound corresponds with movement in picture - it doesn't have to be a clapperboard or even a hand clap - door closes, footsteps, crockery being put down can all work. Modern digital recorders like cameras and phones should hold sync for practical purposes for perhaps 10-15 minutes at a time, which is easily long enough for most jobs.

Again for most purposes, if the sync looks right, it is. If you do need more precision, your choice of camera is probably wrong.