5D Mk II - fractured pink/purple frames in RAW video (solved)

Started by Aeidxst, February 27, 2017, 06:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeidxst

Hey everyone,

I have always used raw_rec on my Mark II and I've never really had any big problems. Maybe one 'broken' frame per every 256 GB or so. But since a few days ago I'm noticing around 6-7 broken frames for every 1 minute of footage. I have changed literally nothing about my setup since last time when I didn't have this problem.

I'm recording at 1856 x 1044. There are no other ML features being used, except the raw_rec.

I'm using a Canon 5D Mark II, with 50mm 1.2 and 24-105mm 4.0 lenses, using SanDisk Extreme PRO as storage (64GB, 160 MB/s).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried installing the most recent version of ML, but no difference. Could it be the cards aging? I've had these cards for almost a year now, using it about once a month for RAW recordings.

Pic related, it's the problem I'm talking about:

http://i.imgur.com/YvrSIta.jpg

a1ex

Looks like you just found a way to reproduce a bug. You can upload your ML/SETTINGS directory so others can try to reproduce it on their 5D2. Be sure to describe the steps required to get bad frames (e.g. start camera, set up this and that, record for X minutes => bad frames on almost every clip).

If you can reproduce it consistently, I bet it's some setup change you overlooked (examples: a CPU-intensive overlay, a custom FPS override setting, an external monitor). I doubt it has anything to do with card speed, but who knows.

The latest builds (with mlv_lite) also include a slightly different method of configuring EDMAC transfers, which should be able to detect when the DMA is overloaded and show a warning. You didn't mention anything about it, so I'm not sure whether you used mlv_lite or you loaded an older raw_rec that was left on the card when updating ML.

Aeidxst

Hi, thanks for your reply. To be very honest, I do not really feel the urge to explore what exact set of settings produces this bug. Yes, of course I want to prevent it in the future. But isn't there a concrete way to fix this problem?

I used the older raw_rec, not the mlv_lite.

a1ex

Quote from: Aeidxst on February 27, 2017, 11:02:28 PM
But isn't there a concrete way to fix this problem?

No, someone who can reproduce this bug has to investigate it. Currently, to my knowledge, you are the only one.

FYI, the older raw_rec is not part of the latest nightly build; it was probably left on the card from an older installation. It probably works, but it doesn't have the DMA check mentioned above.

reddeercity

Did you have a hdmi monitor  connected , set frame rate to 29.97 ?   Can you post your cam setting  please ,
I'm a 5D2 user , and I can't record 1856x1044 (77.5 MB/s) 14bit raw video without some frame corruption and on course
I'm talking about continuous no frame drop . Best I can get is 1856x1004 (74.5 MB/S) @ 23.976 fps without hdmi  monitor connected without frame corruption at all.
The max safe write speed on the 5D2 at least from my experiences with Lexar 1066x  is 75 MB/s in 1:1 ,
3xCrop mode you will get about 78 MB/s . Even thou my card can write  @ 160MB/s
If you go to your root of the CF card in ML folder --> subfolder Settings  then just post the contents of
the "magic.cfg" & "raw_rec.cfg"  or "mlv_rec.cfg" if you use MLV , I can test your setting on my cam to see if I can reproduce you problem.

Aeidxst

No, I did not have a HDMI monitor connected. Frame rate: 23,976. Here are my settings:

I go the the ML folder > Settings > raw_rec.cfg. This is what's inside:

# Config file for module raw_rec (RAW_REC.MO)

raw.video.enabled = 1
raw.res.x = 14
raw.write.speed = 7565

Normally I was always able to record 1856x1044 14bit RAW video without frame corruption. I was sometimes even able to record continously for ~3 minutes straight.

Is this information useful to you?

Aeidxst

Weird, I tried to reproduce it, but I can't manage to do it. However, it may be because I uninstalled and installed ML for the fourth time. I'm now using the latest Nightly Build, using mlv_lite. Thanks for all the help, no idea how I eventually solved it. Didn't do anything special.

Last question: Which MLV converter is similar to RAWMagic Lite? Mac preferred. Since I'm using MLV now I'm looking for a new converter that converts to .dng sequences. I loved the workflow and design of RAWMagic, hence I'm asking for a similar program suited for MLV. Thanks!

reddeercity

@Aeidxst , good to hear it works now , Yes MLVFS is the go to app on MAC thou you can use MLVProducer with Wine install look at the
Raw Video Postprocessing
for more idea's

Danne

Aeidsxt.
If you want physical cdng files I wouldn,t advice working with wine options. If you like the idea to use physical cdng folders with correct white balance, resolve compliance etc cr2hdr.app will take you there. It also supports prores exports good for batching and a lot of other stuff like darkframe averaging.
Simpliest way with cr2hdr.app is to simply drag a folder containing mlv files onto the app itself. Once the menu pops out you can simply select (r) and enter.

reddeercity

Quote from: Danne on March 03, 2017, 03:50:44 AM
If you want physical cdng files I wouldn,t advice working with wine options. If you like the idea to use physical cdng folders with correct white balance, resolve compliance
So what are you saying ,  MLVProducer doesn't have Correct WB or Can't out put Cdng's that's resolve compliance ? ???
Better check again .
In fact MLVProdcer supports 10 , 12bit raw at there respected bit depths without  up-converting  to 16bit(Cdng) or 14bit (dng) with a higher noise floor
and of course can also out put ProRes etc.... . Oh yea real time color correction and the list goes on .

Danne

QuoteSo what are you saying ,  MLVProducer doesn't have Correct WB or Can't out put Cdng's that's resolve compliance ? ???
That,s not what I said.