Video Clip Mode

Started by defrule, August 06, 2012, 04:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

defrule

In the 600D there is the video clip mode which records clips of certain length and joins them together to form a longer feature.  I was thinking about using this function for a time-lapse but I'm not sure if it works with Magic Lantern so I would like to know before I install ML.

Without ML I can record video at 24 FPS and it would play back at 24 FPS so 4 seconds of recording would also be 4 seconds of video.  However, when I read about the FPS override it seems you can change the recording FPS to something lower for example 12 FPS.  This would mean that in order to achieve 4 seconds of playback video at 24 FPS I need to record for 8 seconds at 12 FPS.

Now the question.  The video clip mode seems to be a bit ambiguous in the above circumstances.  Suppose I record at 12 FPS with ML, if I choose clips of 4 second duration, does it record for 4 seconds at 12 FPS?  Or does it record for 8 seconds to give the proper 4 second video playback?

scrax

I've never ever used that function maybe only the first time to see what it is. ML lanter is not tested at all with that function on. And since after the video there is an unexpcted (for ML) screen (to finish the rec or continue with another take) i suppose it will have problem with intervalometer.
But with ML you can use the intervalometer with video and record a clip every set time for 1 to 9 seconds with also a selectable delay for starting the intervallometer.

And you can just install it and make a test by yourself
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

defrule

I installed ML onto my 600D, good news.  It seems changing the FPS will also modify the record time to give the appropriate snapshot duration.  BUT there is one slight problem, when you record a snapshot and decide the keep it, the camera give a message saying settings have been changed so a new album will be started.  Basically it can't join the clips together but it's easy enough to have them all as different videos and join them in post.

ilguercio

You don't have to record twice the time if you use half the FPS.
The stretching will do the job of reassigning the proper lenght to the file.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.