Author Topic: fastcinemadng  (Read 10043 times)

IDA_ML

Re: fastcinemadng
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2017, 12:39:38 PM »
Megapolis,

I was wondering if it might be possible to just add MLVFS to your software.  Although I agree that the preview quality of the DNGs is great, it simply takes to long to open a DNG folder and this really makes it too heavy to use unless you really have a very beefy videocard.  Opening MLV files directly would be a way better option, especially if this could be done fast.  MLVFS would help in that respect if it could be implemented.  Just a thought.

megapolis

• New to the forum
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2017, 10:46:53 AM »
As I know, usually there is no need to have beefy video card for image processing of DNG images with resolutions less than 2K. If I haven't understood you correctly, please advise. If our software is working slow, please send me a link to your MLV file for evaluation.

You can test your MLV files by running MLVFS and Fast CinemaDNG Processor. What you need in Windows-7/10 (64-bit):
1. Download Fast CinemaDNG Processor: http://www.fastcinemadng.com/download/FastCDNG_x64_Setup.exe
2. Download Dokany: https://github.com/dokan-dev/dokany/releases/download/v1.0.3/DokanSetup_redist.exe
3. Download MLVFS: http://www.dropbox.com/s/4ymbt8xxfrwtn1h/MLVFS.zip?dl=0
4. Run the following command: mlvfs -f Z: --mlv-dir=\mlvdir

Then from Windows Explorer you can click with right button on your MLV file and choose in the context menu “Preview with Fast CinemaDNG”. Actually we haven't done anything here. Transform from MLV to DNG is done by MLVFS.

megapolis

• New to the forum
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2017, 11:00:28 AM »
Sorry, the latest release of Dokany could be downloaded here:
https://github.com/dokan-dev/dokany/releases/download/v1.1.0/DokanSetup_redist.exe

This is a benchmark for GPU-based image processing of MLV which was loaded via MLVFS, processing is done with Fast CinemaDNG Processor on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 (PCI-Express x16 Gen2):

Total memory 1536 MB, free 179 MB, allocated 109 MB
Input image: 1280x720 pixels
Host-to-device transfer = 0.47 ms
Linearization LUT = 0.35 ms
White balance = 0.03 ms
Raw curve = 1.06 ms
Debayer = 1.15 ms
ProPhoto space transform = 0.09 ms
RGB Lut = 0.21 ms
Output color space transform = 0.09 ms
Crop time: 0.00 ms
Resize = 0.00 ms
16 to 8 bit transform = 0.06 ms
Histogram = 1.20 ms
RGB parade = 2.31 ms
Viewport crop = 0.00 ms
Viewport resize = 0.88 ms
Total GPU = 7.90 ms
Total GPU + CPU = 10.95 ms

P.S. Could you please give me a link to 4K MLV footage for testing?

IDA_ML

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2017, 06:05:12 PM »
P.S. Could you please give me a link to 4K MLV footage for testing?

Megapolis,

I have prepared a short (84 frames) 3K MLV file (3072x1920) for you to test.  It is about 590 MB and you can download it from here:

https://we.tl/mdeBlxLtvx

This download link will be active for 7 more days.

It takes about 20s. to open this file with FastCinemaDNG from Explorer with MLVFS installed as you suggested above.  If I want to view the next MLV file, I have to close the first one and if I forget to do this, the software crashes.  The computer that I used for this test and for editing my videos has a Q6600 CPU, 8GB of RAM and a GTX 750Ti GPU (2GB DDR5 RAM).  I am on Win7x64. An opening time of  20 s. for such a small file is way too long.  MLV Producer opens the same file in about 3 s. Moreover, in Producer I can open a whole batch of MLV files in just a few seconds.  I have just tested it with 15 MLV files (a total of 8 GB) and it created thumbnails of all of them within 9 s. after dragging them from Explorer onto the MLVProducer icon.  Once the thumbnails are in the preview window and I click on each of them, the MLV file opens in full size almost instantaneously.  So, if I want to browse between lots of MLV files, I prefer to use Producer since it is so fast and easy to use.  I use FastCinemaDNG only if I want to view a particular MLV file at a high quality and real-time playback.

Conclusion:  FastCinemaDNG is great in terms of preview quality and fast playback, as well as editing options but slow and not convenient to work with.  Converting files using the FFMPEG option is a pain.  This would be a great software if it would have been faster, better organized and would offer convenient and fast export/converting options.

I hope, this feedback is useful and wish you great success in making your software more user friendly to work with. 

megapolis

• New to the forum
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2017, 11:56:19 AM »
Thanks a lot for your MLV file and for your feedback. On my PC (Core i7-3820 3.6 GHz, RAM 16 GB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580), which is quite old, it takes 5-6 seconds to load your project. I agree that 20 s is not acceptable, but generally, for DNG image processing we need to have good CPU, GPU and SSD, so the PC should be quite powerful. We always load new project without offloading previous one. We will check why it causes crash.

The first run of each software takes around 2-4 seconds, so it's not surprising. For GPU-based image processing we also have to initialize CUDA and allocate GPU memory, which are not very fast procedures. That's why 5-6 seconds for such a task at the first run should be reasonable. To insure fast loading for the next project we need to optimize our software and I hope to cope with that in a couple on weeks.

Interface to work with FFmpeg is quite simple, you just need to put there right command line. We have prepared a list of frequently used command lines, so it should be not very difficult, you can find that info in the manual.

The main idea of our software is to insure fast image processing and smooth output for 4K with maximum possible options like high quality debayering, denoising, undistortion, geometry transforms, 3D LUTs, etc. We think that it could be done on GPU in realtime with GeForce GTX 1060 or better.

IDA_ML

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2017, 05:50:33 PM »
Megapolis,

Maybe, I should share another thought about FastCinemaDNG with you.  Working only with folders full of cDNG sequences is not a good idea at all.  This means that you have to drag all your MLV files that you wish to view, to a MLVFS folder and apply MLVFS to them.  This additional step is impractical and takes time and a lot of disk space.  In most cases, your MLV-files are spread in hundreds of directories on different internal and external drives.  What if you want to quickly view a specific MLV file or find it among 100 others?  Do you want to convert all of them into cDNG folders first?  This is very impractical.  It would be much easier if you could just click on the MLV-file and open it immediately.  This is how Producer works.  All you need to do is to set the file association .MLV to open with Producer. 

If you could add MLV support to FastCinemaDNG, this would make it much more user friendly.  Think about it.

megapolis

• New to the forum
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2017, 08:25:56 AM »
IDA_ML,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. This is exactly what we are doing now and we hope to release direct support of MLV format soon. We are going to open MLV instantly from Explorer without running MLVFS and without convertion to cDNG.

IDA_ML

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2017, 04:09:48 PM »
This is great, Megapolis!  May I make another, in my opinion, useful suggestion?  Could you possibly modify Fastcinemadng in such manner that the user could navigate to a folder with MLV files in Explorer and by clicking on that folder, Fastcinemadng would create inside Explorer a window with thumbnails of all MLVs inside the folder.  This thumbnail creation should happen very fast, as in Producer.  Once the user finds a  thumbnail of interest, he clicks on it and the MLV file opens in the full sized software window, ready for playback, adjustments, quick export, etc.  If the user wants to repeat the same thing with another MLV, he just clicks on its thumbnail and the file opens in the full sized window.  In other words, Fastcinemadng should work as any photo viewer (such as IrfanView for example), but with MLV-files, instead of JPEGs or CR2 files.  You don't even have to animate the thumbnails as DaVinci Resolve does.  All you need to do is to use a single frame from somewhere in the middle of MLV clip to create its thumbnail.  It should just give a hint to the user what that clip is all about and I think this would be very helpful and user friendly already.  Do you think, this would be possible?

megapolis

• New to the forum
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2017, 11:21:53 AM »
Thanks for your suggestions. We do have such plans, but we are going to implement them in a way of Windows Explorer shell extension, that would generate thumbnails for MLV files while viewing folder content. It shouldn't be time consuming procedure as soon as image processing pipeline for such a task is very simple. The same feature is implemented in Adobe DNG Codec for Windows. It will be done later, because currently we are working on MLV support and on fast DNG decoding.