fastcinemadng

Started by katrikura, February 22, 2017, 12:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

megapolis

@hyalinejim: Thanks for your image and for your comparison.
I agree with you, but please note that for that specific image the job was done due to Cinelog camera profile which removed the problem with highlights in red on arms and candle flame. We see the only solution here – to process red channel with a curve before debayering.

Here you can see an example of processing with Fast CinemaDNG:
https://yadi.sk/i/z3VXLSw13F2Uzr
Everything was set to its default value, we just reduced Red channel down (it's applied before debayer) and changed R curve to avoid highlights crashing in R channel. RGB Parade would help you in making proper settings.

We expect to release some features for solving such problems (3D LUT support, highlights recovery, DCP profiles support, LUTs for RAW data) within 2-3 months and we will check your image after that once more.

I also agree that panel docking is not working well. We got that module from QT and it seems to be not the best choice.

hyalinejim

That sounds awesome - particularly DCP support!

megapolis

@hyalinejim: Thanks again for your image and your question. I've checked your image and your solution once more and I can see the following:

You've solved the problem by applying Cinelog DCP profile for Canon 5D. Inside that profile one can see ToneCurve (log-like gamma) and HSV 3DLUT. It means that in Adobe ACR the task of Highlights Recovery was solved after debayering by applying gamma to RGB and 3D LUT to HSV. That solution makes sense and we see good result. We will be able to utilize that method, as soon as we add DCP support to our software in the near future. Anyway, there is also another possible solution.

One can do Highlights Recovery before debayering and it seems to be a better approach. If we remove highlights before debayer, then image quality after debayering will be better because this is the way to avoid interpolations with clipped pixels. We've added to Fast CinemaDNG software widget "Raw Curve" to be able to apply curves to RAW data before debayering. There is a master curve which is always applied to all three channels of RAW data, and individual curves for each color channel.

Here you can have a look at your image which is processed with curves before debayering:

What Fast CinemaDNG software is doing before demosaicing:
1. Multithreaded reading and parcing of all DNGs in the current folder
2. Multithreaded DNG decoding for compressed data
3. Data copy from CPU to GPU (host to device transfer)
4. DNG crop
5. Data linearization according to 1D LUT from DNG
6. Black and white points from DNG
7. WB coefficients for R, G, B
8. Exposure correction
9. Composite raw curve (the same curve for all three channels)
10.  Individual curve for each raw channel
11.  Raw bayer denoiser
12.  Debayer HQLI, DFPD or MG with Enhance option

All these stages from image processing pipeline one can see at Benchmarks widget to check timing on GPU for each stage. To get fast result, we need to have powerful CPU, GPU and SSD.

Please let me know your opinion about suggested pipeline and about the results of our software for DNG image processing both in terms of quality and performance. You can download the latest release of Fast CinemaDNG software with "Raw Curve" module from www.fastcinemadng.com

hyalinejim

@megapolis

I'm away for a few weeks but will check it out on my return looks good from the image you posted!

megapolis

@hyalinejim: In the latest release of Fast CinemaDNG Processor software we've implemented support for external DCP profiles. Now it's possible to utilize any DCP profile from Adobe ACR, RawTherapee, Cinelog, etc. User can create his own DCP profile with any profiler and then add it to the current project. All computations for 1D and 3D LUTs from DCP are done on GPU in real time. Timing for each stage of DNG image processing on GPU is shown in the Benchmark window.

We've also added check boxes for GUI to switch on/off  Hue/Saturation Map, LookTable and Tone Curve to see what we can really get from DCP profile. Default path for a folder with DCP profiles are defined at Options section.

The latest release of Fast CinemaDNG Processor can be downloaded here:
http://www.fastcinemadng.com/download/FastCDNG_x64_Setup.exe

Andy600

@megapolis - I'm not sure where you got your Cinelog profile(s) from? - but Cinelog-C profiles don't contain HSV luts and they will only work correctly in Adobe Camera Raw.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

hyalinejim

Hi megapolis, I've added my Cinelog DCP profile to the folder as you suggest, but all it seems to do is change the saturation:

Here is what it looks like in ACR:

Andy600

Even though you can read/apply Cinelog profiles in RawTherapee or other apps they will only produce Cinelog-C colorspace in Adobe Camera Raw because the profiles contain compensation for a limitation that is unique to ACR when it is used in conjunction with After Effects. Using the profiles in any other raw app (i.e. raw apps without that limitation i.e. any raw app that isn't ACR) you will be introducing a new issue.

I'm not sure why you would even want to use a fixed colorspace management DCP anyway as your app is built on GPU accelerated shaders!?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Lars Steenhoff

Its free and gpu accelerated, will have to give it a try

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Andy600 on April 27, 2017, 02:05:40 PM
@megapolis - I'm not sure where you got your Cinelog profile(s) from?

I question this as well?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

megapolis

QuoteI'm not sure where you got your Cinelog profile(s) from? - but Cinelog-C profiles don't contain HSV luts and they will only work correctly in Adobe Camera Raw.
Thanks, I will check that. I tested profiles from ACR and RT. Cinelog profile was tested by our customer. If it doesn't work, I will definitely remove it from the list of supported profiles.

QuoteEven though you can read/apply Cinelog profiles in RawTherapee or other apps they will only produce Cinelog-C colorspace in Adobe Camera Raw because the profiles contain compensation for a limitation that is unique to ACR when it is used in conjunction with After Effects. Using the profiles in any other raw app (i.e. raw apps without that limitation i.e. any raw app that isn't ACR) you will be introducing a new issue.
Thanks for the info.

QuoteI'm not sure why you would even want to use a fixed colorspace management DCP anyway as your app is built on GPU accelerated shaders!?
That application is built on CUDA and we can utilize any colorspace management in realtime. Currently we are working on DCP support. What approach would you suggest to implement?

megapolis

Fast CinemaDNG Processor is currently used in the Aeon Motion Scanning System for 3D scanning and 4D capture with 20 MPix industrial cameras:
http://ir-ltd.net/introducing-the-aeon-motion-scanning-system/

This is comparison with Adobe Lightroom for DNG image processing performance:
«FastVideo is lightning fast. It's still in early development but it can process sequence data on the fly, on the GPU in real-time in ms, rather than in minutes per frame. This means we can now process a 28,800 image sequence set in under 10 minutes, instead of 10 hours. Literally a game changer.»

jankrueck

hey Im not home yet, but is the software suporting the "new" 4k raw?
(there where some changes on mlv_dump made to fix linedropping)

looking forward to give it a try! soundds great so far

megapolis

Could you please share a link to "new" 4k raw?
At the moment we support DNG/CinemaDNG only. MLV support is expected soon.

andy kh

supporting mlv would be interesting
5D Mark III - 70D

jankrueck

Quote from: megapolis on June 02, 2017, 12:03:35 PM

Ah ok. I thought you'd allready support it. nvm. I'll wait :D

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: megapolis on June 02, 2017, 12:03:35 PM

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.0

megapolis

In the latest release of Fast CinemaDNG Processor we've fully redesigned CUDA code for Histogram/Parade module and Denoiser (which is working before debayer). We have also implemented some more features for image processing on GPU:
1. Rotation to arbitrary angle in realtime.
2. Now we can work with LCP (lens profiles) to do undistortion and CA removal. We utilize ready LCP or prepare them from Adobe Lens Profile Creator.
You can download the latest version from www.fastcinemadng.com

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks for the heads up @megapolis -- any chance that this will eventually run under Wine? I just tried again and unfortunately the same errors came up from when I first reported. Is it really due to the lack of not having required NVIDIA CUDA installed on this MBP?

Seems I'll be better off running an emulator if one wants to try this app on their OS X?

megapolis

Current version is working with Windows only. At the moment we need to design and to implement on CUDA quite a lot of algorithms for DNG image processing. Other OS will be a subject for implementation in the future, but not now.

3Dto5D

Thats a really nice GUI and looks good too. Too bad I'm in Mac OS. I really would Love to use this on the Mac natively though If there was any chance. Thanks.

megapolis

New features in the latest release:
1. Project templates to save current set of parameters and settings. Now one can utilize that template to process next DNG series with the same parameters. Have a look at Project templates widget.
2. DNG player is working with audio from wav-file.
3. This is the first release with accelerated lossless jpeg decoder on CPU. We will publish more info about that soon.

Download link to Fast CinemaDNG Processor:
http://www.fastcinemadng.com/download/FastCDNG_x64_Setup.exe

jankrueck

Hey!

I've been playing around with this. again.
And sorry to say, but I dont get it. All of this is available in Resolve or in ACR as well.
To me it feels kinda bulky to import and export files.

I don't want to spread heate, just saying, I dont get it :D
Initianly I was following this Thread for your mlv inApp support.

Anyways, I', still looking for a descent way to handle mlv/4kraw without debayering to 1238234 dng files ;)

keep it up, Jan

megapolis

It's difficult to agree that
QuoteAll of this is available in Resolve or in ACR as well.
Just try to play DNG series with 4.6K resolution and Denoiser option on, you could hardly get smooth video output with ACR. It's much better with Resolve, but still this is a problem.
The most frequent usage of that software is preview of DNG series. You just need to choose a folder with DNG in Windows Explorer to see realtime video. This is fast and simple. The latest release is working with our new CPU-based Lossless JPEG decoder which is faster than decoders from dcraw, libraw, lj92, Adobe DNG SDK.
P.S. Unfortunately MLV support is not yet ready.