Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.3.4

Started by dfort, February 15, 2017, 02:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedada

Hi there,

I might be kinda stupid  :o , but where is the Download link  :-X?

thank you in advance,

Regards,

zfairley

Hi guys, I could use some help.

I currently have Canon's 1.1.3 firmware on my Mark iii with ML V2.3. I recently got a SmallHD monitor but I don't have the mirroring option available with my current Canon firmware. I want to upgrade it but I am unsure if that will cause any issues with ML being installed and also not sure how high I can upgrade the firmware. Some advice or things I should consider with completing an update would be great. Thanks!

-ZF

dfort

Quote from: thedada on June 15, 2017, 04:12:23 PM
...where is the Download link  :-X?

magiclantern-Nightly.2017Feb19.5D3134.zip

Note that this is a work in progress so it might change or disappear. Best if you can start on the first post and read through this topic first.

dfort

Quote from: zfairley on June 25, 2017, 08:19:46 PM
Hi guys, I could use some help.

...Canon's 1.1.3 firmware on my Mark iii with ML V2.3...

Wrong topic for that discussion. However, you should at least update from V2.3 because that is way out of date. The latest versions are on the downloads sections of this website. I made it really easy for testers to grab the Canon firmware for the 5D3 and posted tutorials on how to update and downgrade your firmware. Once you are on 1.2.3, which is where you probably should be, continue the discussion on the appropriate topic.

dfort

Quote from: nexiabass on May 31, 2017, 04:07:25 PM
I found only one issue for me - in the "normal" canon menus the Q button no longer works.

Is there any workaround?

Finally got around to checking up on this and can verify the issue. I'll have to do some digging around to figure out what is going on.

dcpanda

Hi I recently bought another camera and my 5D3 has become my backup. I'm super keen to make ML work on it but because other people use the camera I'm hesitant to install if the Q button isn't working. Was there any update to this?

Happy to install and test stuff once it's sorted out :-)

dfort

Hi @dcpanda -- I haven't figured out the two issues with 1.3.4 which are the Q button not working and the menu flashing after boot up. I've been putting more effort on other projects because there doesn't seem to be much interest from the ML community to update to the latest Canon firmware. I'll get back to this once I get some more experience debugging.

For the best ML user experience I'd recommend downgrading your firmware to 1.1.3 or if HDMI mirroring is important to you, 1.2.3. I zipped up .FIR files and put them on my bitbucket download area - 5D3 Canon Firmware for Testers. You can find how to downgrade from 1.3.4 to earlier versions on this post.

nexiabass

That's quite sad to read.
I love ML on my 5dmk3s. And i use the newest firmware.

I use it anyways with ML - but would be totaly happy if my Q button would work the normal way.
Maybe... if you have spare time...  :D  :)

CristianCostaPhotography

Hello all,
I write you because I have a very big problem with the ML installing procedure. First of all, I tell you that I have installed on my 5dmk3 the firmware 1.3.4 version.
So, i want to downgrade my firmware, but pc see the camera but eos utility not. Why it's the question, but I don't have any answer for this.
Ok, don't worry I told to me, I'll install the ML firmware 1.3.4. Here I found the problem: there's anybody who can help me with the installing procedure with this firmware? With details, please.
I really need it for my work.
There's somebody who can help me?
Thanks a lot at all.

Cristian

giancarlomo

Quote from: dfort on August 22, 2017, 05:46:00 PM
Hi @dcpanda -- I haven't figured out the two issues with 1.3.4 which are the Q button not working and the menu flashing after boot up. I've been putting more effort on other projects because there doesn't seem to be much interest from the ML community to update to the latest Canon firmware. I'll get back to this once I get some more experience debugging.

For the best ML user experience I'd recommend downgrading your firmware to 1.1.3 or if HDMI mirroring is important to you, 1.2.3. I zipped up .FIR files and put them on my bitbucket download area - 5D3 Canon Firmware for Testers. You can find how to downgrade from 1.3.4 to earlier versions on this post.

Hello Dfort, I just registered in this forum, but I have been following it since its inception! There are probably many more people following you too! And we are interested in installing the ML in our 5D3 firmware 1.3.4 hope you can take some time and finish with the development of ML for this firmware. Greetings from Peru!!

dfort

There is no ML-SETUP.FIR for the 5D3.134 so unless you already had ML installed with the camera boot flag set, you won't be able to install ML onto your camera without downgrading the Canon firmware.

Quote from: CristianCostaPhotography on August 24, 2017, 12:40:32 AM
So, i want to downgrade my firmware, but pc see the camera but eos utility not. Why it's the question, but I don't have any answer for this.

Your pc can "see" the camera but EOS Utility cannot? So that means that your USB connection is working. What might be happening is that you have an older version of EOS Utility that isn't compatible with the 1.3.4 firmware. You can get the latest version from the Canon website.

Quote from: CristianCostaPhotography on August 24, 2017, 12:40:32 AM
I really need it for my work.

Please understand that ML is more of a hobby project and that the 1.3.4 port still has some issues and not yet part of the main code base. I'd think twice before betting my job on it.

muezin

Quote from: dfort on August 22, 2017, 05:46:00 PM
I've been putting more effort on other projects because there doesn't seem to be much interest from the ML community to update to the latest Canon firmware. I'll get back to this once I get some more experience debugging.

Hi dfort,
this thread is read about 32k times, so it seems to me that there is much interest in a magiclantern-version supporting the 1.3.4 Firmware. Me included.
It would appreciate to be able to install magiclantern without downgrading...
Thanx for your effort and your fantastic work!  :)

@all: please post if you want a magiclantern-version supporting the 1.3.4 Firmware!

Audionut

Quote from: muezin on November 02, 2017, 10:37:09 AM
@all: please post if you want a magiclantern-version supporting the 1.3.4 Firmware!

Lets not, and instead lets (@all) re-read the FAQ.

Although to be fair, dfort did tap the nail in and ask for people to hit it in the rest of the way.  A significantly better solution would be to help him actually port it.  If you can't help, that's fine, but we don't need a thousand posts saying "I wish I could help, but.....", either.

I can say with strong belief, that dfort does seem to have more experience debugging (search his recent posts).
So there's a sliver of hope that this may occur sometime this decade (where's that sarcastic emoji).

dfort

Quote from: Audionut on November 02, 2017, 02:54:12 PM
I can say with strong belief, that dfort does seem to have more experience debugging...

Not yet experienced enough to debug this one. The main sticking point on the 5D3.134 right now is that the Q button is unresponsive in the Canon menus with ML loaded. Publishing a ML-SETUP.FIR for 1.3.4 at this point would invite a lot of inexperienced users who could potentially brick their cameras.

dfort

...this thread is read about 32k times, so it seems to me that there is much interest in a magiclantern-version supporting the 1.3.4 Firmware....

Just noticed that there have been 806 downloads of the Feb 19 build and 798 downloads of the April 22 build. Wow.

Ok, so I cross checked the stubs against the working versions including chris_overseas excellent 1.3.3 port and found a few stubs that needed fixing. Looks like the Q button is working fine with the Canon menus now so I posted yet another test build on my Bitbucket downloads page.

Actually the place to post is on the pull request. Please, just reports of whether or not it is working for you. If you aren't experiencing any bugs you can still approve the PR which is sort of like a wink or a thumbs up or like on other websites.

At this point the only issue I can see is that the ML menus will flash when first accessing them if you bring them up from outside of LiveView. Other than that it should work the same as 1.2.3 except for the fixes Canon made.

As far as getting the ML-SETUP.FIR for this, that will come once the pull request is approved by a ML developer.

Danne

QuoteLooks like the Q button is working fine with the Canon menus now so I posted yet another test
Nicely done!

dfort

Nearly 2,000 downloads and very few issues reported. The one glitch I'm still trying to work out is when opening the ML menu in photo mode (outside of LiveView) the Canon menu flashes on the screen only on the first time that the ML menu is invoked. Note that it is fine on subsequent ML menu calls.

@a1ex found yet another issue that needed fixing so I uploaded a new test build on my Bitbucket downloads page.

Looks like some users think that the older builds are more "stable" because the download counts kept going up on the old builds, that's not the case with new ports. I took down the earlier test builds because everyone should be using the latest build.

Once again, please report if you are using this and find any issues.

domasa

Works this firmware with MAGIC_ZOOM_FULL_SCREEN ?

nexiabass

Just installed the newest build. Q button still not working  ???

dfort

Quote from: domasa on November 13, 2017, 05:53:01 PM
Works this firmware with MAGIC_ZOOM_FULL_SCREEN ?

This port was an update from 1.2.3 and since that version doesn't have Magic Zoom working, this one doesn't either.

Quote from: nexiabass on November 13, 2017, 06:44:15 PM
Just installed the newest build. Q button still not working  ???

That's odd, it was working over here before I posted the new build. I'll try it again after work today. I have been resetting the Canon settings back to default when something like that happens. Sometimes it clears it up.

a1ex

Quote from: Audionut on November 02, 2017, 02:54:12 PM
A significantly better solution would be to help him actually port it.

One very easy way to help would be to report bugs properly. I've noticed an obvious bug within minutes of playing with this build in QEMU*), it was present since the first iteration, and I bet it's not the only one. There are a few other really obvious bugs, which I'm not disclosing right now - just to check whether those 2000 users actually tried it :D

*) GUI emulation for 1.2.3 and newer firmwares was figured out a few days ago.

If you can write down what you have tested and whether the feature works or not, would be very helpful. You could pick a menu and try the features from it (ideally each setting), or imagine some workflow and try the related features - your choice. Just write down what you have tested, so others will know to pick something else.

I'll start:

I've tested the following, in QEMU:

- Canon firmware attempts to load ML from SD; if that fails, it tries to boot from CF (same as older versions, nothing changed here.)
- ML menu in photo mode outside LiveView (whether it opens or not by pressing DELETE), confirmed this issue and suggested a fix.
- Restore after format: doesn't work (related to the above glitch).
- Loaded the file_man module and browsed the SD filesystem. Worked fine.

Jardim

Hi guys. I'm just find the Magic Lantern and I didn't install it in my camera (yeat!) . I'm reading about it and I found a lot of good solutions.
But I have a question: ML has a way (or a automatic way) to make a Automatic auto-focus microadjustment?
I saw that at home page but reading the documentation and I can't find it!
How can I do that??? My camera is a Canon 5D Mark 3

Sorry about my pour english.
Canon 5DMk3 & 5D MkIV

dfort

Quote from: a1ex on November 13, 2017, 08:37:16 PM
- ML menu in photo mode outside LiveView (whether it opens or not by pressing DELETE), confirmed this issue and suggested a fix.
- Restore after format: doesn't work (related to the above glitch).

Fixed. Found the same problem in 1.3.3. Turned out that the DIALOG_MnCardFormatBegin constant was off. Not sure how to confirm DIALOG_MnCardFormatExecute but it seems to be working.

Double checked the Q button and it appears to be working as it should. @nexiabass could you explain exactly how to reproduce your issue?

Updated the build in my Bitbucket downloads page. Yeah, same date but I removed the previous build because this is definitely an improvement.

Now I need to go out and actually use this to figure out what those 2,000 downloaders missed.  :P

dfort

How does this look? Using an old EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM on the first test.

===============================================================================
ML/SCRIPTS/api_test.lua - 2017-11-13 23:22:37

Strict mode tests...
Strict mode tests passed.

Generic tests...
camera = table:
  shutter = table:
    raw = 53
    apex = -0.375
    ms = 1297
    value = 1.296839
  aperture = table:
    raw = 48
    apex = 5
    value = 5.599999
    min = table:
      raw = 39
      apex = 3.875
      value = 3.799999
    max = table:
      raw = 82
      apex = 9.25
      value = 24.6
  iso = table:
    raw = 96
    apex = 8
    value = 800
  ec = table:
    raw = 0
    value = 0
  flash_ec = table:
    raw = 0
    value = 0
  kelvin = 5500
  mode = 3
  metering_mode = 3
  drive_mode = 0
  model = "Canon EOS 5D Mark III"
  model_short = "5D3"
  firmware = "1.3.4"
  temperature = 154
  state = 0
  reboot = function: p
  shoot = function: p
  bulb = function: p
event = table:
  pre_shoot = nil
  post_shoot = nil
  shoot_task = nil
  seconds_clock = nil
  keypress = nil
  custom_picture_taking = nil
  intervalometer = nil
  config_save = nil
console = table:
  hide = function: p
  show = function: p
  write = function: p
  clear = function: p
lv = table:
  enabled = false
  paused = false
  running = false
  zoom = 1
  pause = function: p
  info = function: p
  stop = function: p
  start = function: p
  wait = function: p
  resume = function: p
lens = table:
  name = "EF28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM"
  focal_length = 0
  focus_distance = 14080
  hyperfocal = 0
  dof_near = 0
  dof_far = 0
  af = true
  af_mode = 0
  focus = function: p
display = table:
  idle = true
  height = 480
  width = 720
  line = function: p
  rect = function: p
  clear = function: p
  screenshot = function: p
  draw = function: p
  off = function: p
  notify_box = function: p
  on = function: p
  load = function: p
  circle = function: p
  print = function: p
  pixel = function: p
key = table:
  last = 0
  press = function: p
  wait = function: p
menu = table:
  visible = false
  open = function: p
  get = function: p
  new = function: p
  close = function: p
  block = function: p
  set = function: p
testmenu = userdata:
  value = 0
  name = "Script API tests"
  help = "Various tests for the Lua scripting API."
  help2 = "When adding new Lua APIs, tests for them should go here."
  advanced = 0
  depends_on = 0
  edit_mode = 0
  hidden = false
  icon_type = 5
  jhidden = false
  max = 0
  min = 0
  selected = true
  shidden = false
  starred = false
  submenu_height = 0
  submenu_width = 0
  unit = 0
  works_best_in = 0
  run_in_separate_task = 0
  select = function: p
  update = nil
  info = nil
  rinfo = nil
  warning = nil
movie = table:
  recording = false
  start = function: p
dryos = table:
  clock = 18
  ms_clock = 18586
  prefix = "1Y7A"
  dcim_dir = table:
    exists = true
    create = function: p
    children = function: p
    files = function: p
    parent = table:
      exists = true
      parent = table:
        exists = true
        parent = nil
        path = "A:/"
      path = "A:/DCIM/"
    path = "A:/DCIM/100EOS5D/"
  config_dir = table:
    exists = true
    parent = table:
      exists = true
      parent = table:
        exists = true
        parent = nil
        path = "B:/"
      path = "ML/"
    path = "ML/SETTINGS/"
  ml_card = table:
    cluster_size = 131072
    drive_letter = "B"
    file_number = 3186
    folder_number = 100
    free_space = 62705536
    type = "SD"
    _card_ptr = userdata
    path = "B:/"
  shooting_card = table:
    cluster_size = 32768
    drive_letter = "A"
    file_number = 3186
    folder_number = 100
    free_space = 85787744
    type = "CF"
    _card_ptr = userdata
    path = "A:/"
  date = table:
    min = 22
    year = 2017
    hour = 23
    yday = 317
    sec = 39
    isdst = false
    day = 13
    month = 11
    wday = 2
  remove = function: p
  directory = function: p
  call = function: p
interval = table:
  time = 10
  count = 0
  running = 0
battery = table:
  level = 84
  id = 0
  performance = 3
  time = 15876
  drain_rate = 19
task = table:
  yield = function: p
property = table:
Generic tests completed.

Module tests...
Copy test: autoexec.bin -> tmp.bin
Copy test OK
Append test: tmp.txt
Append test OK
Testing exposure settings, module 'camera'...
Camera    : Canon EOS 5D Mark III (5D3) 1.3.4
Lens      : EF28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Shoot mode: 3
Shutter   : 1.3" (raw 53, 1.296839s, 1297ms, apex -0.375)
Aperture  : Å5.6 (raw 48, f/5.599999, apex 5)
Av range  : Å3.8..Å24 (raw 39..82, f/3.799999..f/24.6, apex 3.875..9.25)
ISO       : 800 (raw 96, 800, apex 8)
EC        : 0.0 (raw 0, 0 EV)
Flash EC  : 0.0 (raw 0, 0 EV)
Setting shutter to random values...
Setting ISO to random values...
Setting aperture to random values...
Please switch to Av mode.
Setting EC to random values...
Setting Flash EC to random values...
Exposure tests completed.

Testing module 'lv'...
LiveView is running; stopping...
Starting LiveView...
Setting zoom to x1...
Setting zoom to x5...
Setting zoom to x10...
Setting zoom to x5...
Setting zoom to x1...
Setting zoom to x10...
Setting zoom to x1...
Pausing LiveView...
Resuming LiveView...
Stopping LiveView...
LiveView tests completed.

Focus distance: 366080
Focusing backward...
Focusing forward with step size 3, wait=true...
Focusing backward with step size 3, wait=true...
Focus range: 4 steps forward, 4 steps backward.
Focusing forward with step size 3, wait=false...
Focusing backward with step size 3, wait=false...
Focus range: 4 steps forward, 4 steps backward.
Focusing forward with step size 2, wait=true...
Focusing backward with step size 2, wait=true...
Focus range: 32 steps forward, 33 steps backward.
Focusing forward with step size 2, wait=false...
Focusing backward with step size 2, wait=false...
Focus range: 32 steps forward, 33 steps backward.
Focusing forward with step size 1, wait=true...
Focusing backward with step size 1, wait=true...
Focus range: 260 steps forward, 262 steps backward.
Focusing forward with step size 1, wait=false...
Focusing backward with step size 1, wait=false...
Focus range: 260 steps forward, 259 steps backward.
Focus test completed.

Done!

Here is just the focus test with a much newer EF 50mm f/1.8 STM.

ML/SCRIPTS/api_test.lua - 2017-11-13 23:34:25

lens = table:
  name = "EF50mm f/1.8 STM"
  focal_length = 0
  focus_distance = 14080
  hyperfocal = 0
  dof_near = 0
  dof_far = 0
  af = true
  af_mode = 0
  focus = function: p
Focus distance: 440320
Focusing backward...
Focusing forward with step size 3, wait=true...
Focus distance: 394240
Focusing backward with step size 3, wait=true...
Focus distance: 437760
Focus range: 23 steps forward, 22 steps backward.
Focusing forward with step size 3, wait=false...
Focusing backward with step size 3, wait=false...
Focus distance: 437760
Focus range: 22 steps forward, 22 steps backward.
Focusing forward with step size 2, wait=true...
Focusing backward with step size 2, wait=true...
Focus range: 159 steps forward, 159 steps backward.
Focusing forward with step size 2, wait=false...
Focusing backward with step size 2, wait=false...
Focus range: 159 steps forward, 159 steps backward.
Focusing forward with step size 1, wait=true...
Focusing backward with step size 1, wait=true...
Focus range: 1053 steps forward, 1053 steps backward.
Focusing forward with step size 1, wait=false...
Focusing backward with step size 1, wait=false...
Focus range: 1052 steps forward, 1052 steps backward.
Focus test completed.

Done!

a1ex

Quote from: dfort on November 14, 2017, 07:45:40 AM
How does this look?

Obviously buggy :D

(the obvious part is on the UI, but the presence of the bug can be found in these logs)

Quote from: dfort on November 14, 2017, 07:10:12 AM
Not sure how to confirm DIALOG_MnCardFormatExecute

It's usually spelled Excute in Canon code. It's probably correct, as it works on QEMU and it wouldn't work any more after changing it to some incorrect value (either not restoring ML, or locking up).