Development Thread: Footage for Mac (New Mac app for MLV)

Started by martinhering, February 12, 2017, 09:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

You can export to prores with c2hdr.app as well. You can also experiment with white level settings in the menu settings.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15108.0

budafilms

sys73r

This application looks awesome! tried to tested on 10.10 but doesn't work on it.

Is there any way to remove the restriction to make it work since 10.10? I'm more than happy to install the latest Xcode on 10.10 to make it work if that's necessary, more than happy to document the process to anyone on 10.10.

zakforsman

i've been using this app without issue while on vacation with my 5D3. it's been fantastic. making a request for batch export. :)

martinhering

Hi folks,

I like to give you a quick update. I stopped working on this app and refocused my efforts on an app for a wider audience. This new app won't have integration for Magic Lantern right away. The first version will only work with normal MPEG, H.264 or ProRes movie files. Integration of Cinema DNG is planned, but is a bigger task, since Apple's RAW engine is not really up to the task yet.

Here's a screenshot:

I thank you guys very much for your support. Really sorry!  :'(

Cheers,
Martin

BTW: Please let me know if you are interested in the new app, so that I can hook you up.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

Lars Steenhoff

Nice to see!
Im interested in the new app, aswell as batch processing in the old app  8)

DeafEyeJedi

Welcome back @matrinhering and great to see some progress. Definitely interested in getting your stuff further developed as a whole sooner rather than later.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

martinhering

Here we go. I just finished version 0.1 (102).

https://colorcast-app.com

There is no CinemaDNG support yet. You have to first convert to ProRes to use the app. Have fun. Let me know what you think.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

IDA_ML

Quote from: martinhering on August 31, 2017, 12:18:45 PM
Here we go. I just finished version 0.1 (102).

There is no CinemaDNG support yet. You have to first convert to ProRes to use the app. Have fun. Let me know what you think.

I would love to test your new application but I am on Windows.  Would it be possible to make a Win version too?

Lars Steenhoff

Looks good, will test it out, thanks for making this available

martinhering

QuoteI would love to test your new application but I am on Windows.  Would it be possible to make a Win version too?

No, sorry. I focus on macOS at this point.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

kyrobb

Lars Steenhoff

Here's my initial feedback

- Make the previews in the film simuation from the actual clip, so that all different colours are seen as they would be looking applied to the clip.

This makes finding the right emulation for the footage faster as you don't need to click on all of them to see what they do on your clip.

- make the LUTS also available as a preview gallery, thumbnails for each LUT applied to the current clip.

As seen also in they program
https://www.colorgradingcentral.com/lut-gallery/

"Look up tables no longer have to be a 'black box' meaning you have no idea what they do until after they are applied. "

budafilms

@martinhering
I don't see any advantage to work with the new software for the wider market, when you have option for free like Davinci Resolve Lite (and others). But maybe you have a better explanation why you abandone your preview work that was really original and usefull to go foward.

Thank you.

12georgiadis

reddeercity

@ martinhering thanks for the new App to test out , look great from the screen shots
This is something I've been looking for as I Only use ProRes4444QX which is equal to Cdngs any ways .
There's too many people hung up on the Cdng as the only way to grade/edit from magic lantern raw video.
Don't get me wrong I would like to have Cdng's as import but it's not a deal breaker , so great work keep it up
I'll report back with my results . ;)

martinhering

@budafilms @12georgiadis

Right now, I am building up the basics. On top of that, I want to add some sort of camera based assistant that gives you a head start when grading certain footage like clog or slog etc. And as far as I know, no other app does this. The app is still missing some crucial tools, before I can do this. But I am getting there. The app is built in such a way, that I could also integrate mlv support quite easily, but I prefer CinemaDNG, because any obscure RAW format can be converted to that and the Blackmagic cameras record it directly. However I can image to integrate an mlv converter of some sort.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

Wayne H

Hi Martin, Welcome back

Incorporating all the features from the Footage app into this new app would make this app incredibly appealing to all us macOS Magic Lantern users, i hope you decide make that happen,

I know this app is for a wider range of cameras, but if you can somehow give this app its own little magic lantern menu or something with all the options the footage app has, that would be golden. i really liked the footage app, and appreciated all the hard work that went into writing/making it, but with no batch export it simply takes to long when working with a large amount of clips.

This app seems to have a solid foundation, although i prefer the layout of the footage app, in regards to having the temp, tint, gamma settings etc accessible from the right at all times, rather than having to click on the icon to bring them up every time you work with a new clip, i find it less intuitive, also adding a sharpening tool, and white balance tool like in the footage app would be nice, just my two cents,

Looking forward to CinemaDNG integration too.

12georgiadis

Resolve does it and http://www.fastcinemadng.com/
If it supports MLV, that changes everything.
For now, there is a good evolution with MLV app and MLV producer.

reddeercity

Test out the new app Colorcast , pretty cool I like it  :) it simple & clean GUI -- very nice split screen  with histogram & showing  high light , shadow clipping option .
LUT filter works good but did not load some of my cube's , loaded all the Adobe cube just some of my customs LUT . I really like the "Film Emulation" filter with the preview thumb nail though
It would great to have the video file as the preview image instead of the female head shot , I still like it thou.  I don't like the export option no ProRes 4444XQ  it does import ProRes 4444XQ
and to my amazement when I export to ProRes 4444 it kept the color space I originally encoded in XQ (BT2020 or Rec2020) so apple color sync must have a pipe line in this app ?
What is the color space you use to grade "P3" native apple or is it depended on the color space of the video file , wide gamut rgb , rec709 , bt2020 ?
The only problem I had was when I export a prores4444 the first frame or 2 have no grade applied but after that the rest was graded , it not really a problem I can trim the first 2 frames just thought you should know .
I'm impressed with this very nice app I almost feel like it's a extension of FCPX ( has the look & feel) maybe there's a way to make this in to a plugin for FCPX/Motion ?
After I'm done grading I feel a small loss like I should be switching to the timeline to edit  :D

DeafEyeJedi

Hi @martinhering -- hope all is well and I was just curious on why all of a sudden in getting this prompt message that beta 0.2 as expired?

In any case how has your progress been so far?

martinhering

Good news everyone! Took me some time unfortunately, but I am finally ready to add support for Magic Lantern files to Colorcast. It will take me a couple of weeks still to make everything work, but I already have an image.

Integration works via the open-sourced XPC service and the feature is just an add-on / plug-in , so I should be fine with the GPL. I'll let you know about my progress.

BTW I am also writing and open-sourcing more now. Check out my latest blog post about RGB Parade with Metal Performance Shaders.

Links:
https://github.com/martinhering/MacLantern
https://martinhering.me/post/using-metal-performance-shaders-with-core-image
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

Lars Steenhoff

dfort

DeafEyeJedi