Development Thread: Footage for Mac (New Mac app for MLV)

Started by martinhering, February 12, 2017, 09:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martinhering

QuoteJust curious if you're still planning to expire the current version on the 15th. I've become quite fond of using it to see the take before exporting to CNG.

I just bumped the version number and increased the expire date by 1 month. Sorry, that I did not have the time during the recent 2 weeks to improve the app further. I was very busy with a client project. The money has to come from somewhere, right?

QuoteCall it log and transfer and put it on the App Store haha!!

Actually, the app can't be put onto the app store, because it can not be sandboxed at this time. This is due to the fact that mlv files can be split up into chunks. In sandbox mode however, the app can not read all the chunks automatically when you only open the .mlv file. I would need to force the user to select all the chunk files, which is not a good user experience. Drag & drop wouldn't work either.

QuoteI also get a pinkish picture for every clip on all my Macs as @togg got on page 6 of this thread. Is there a solution yet?

Unfortunately I don't know what causes this magenta shift. I can only image that it is yet another bug of Apple's raw engine. I am thinking in replacing it altogether anyway. The app wouldn't be as fast anymore, but what is performance if the quality sucks, right? Would it be possible for you to send me a short example clip, maybe only a silent picture?
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

baksh

Hi!

I can't import files since today... nothing is happening. Do you have an idea? i'm on Sierra 10.12.3
thanks !

masc

Quote from: martinhering on May 13, 2017, 09:37:35 AM
Unfortunately I don't know what causes this magenta shift. I can only image that it is yet another bug of Apple's raw engine. I am thinking in replacing it altogether anyway. The app wouldn't be as fast anymore, but what is performance if the quality sucks, right? Would it be possible for you to send me a short example clip, maybe only a silent picture?

Shure, here you are (only some pictures in a MLV, but you should see the colour):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aslj3wwt5yn8098/M13-1908.MLV?dl=0

I updated to your new build 150, but it does not open a window. There is only the footage menu bar and the icon in the dock.

Edit: the console tells:
13.05.17 19:46:47,456 Footage[579]: +[NSColorSpace displayP3ColorSpace]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0x7fff77c5d078
Maybe that helps...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

etx

Quote from: masc on May 13, 2017, 07:40:47 PM
Shure, here you are (only some pictures in a MLV, but you should see the colour):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aslj3wwt5yn8098/M13-1908.MLV?dl=0

I updated to your new build 150, but it does not open a window. There is only the footage menu bar and the icon in the dock.

Edit: the console tells:
13.05.17 19:46:47,456 Footage[579]: +[NSColorSpace displayP3ColorSpace]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0x7fff77c5d078
Maybe that helps...

Same issue here. The release notes mention "Updated expiry date" is the app going to stop working at some point?

Thanks for all your hard work. The app saved me so much time today. I shot 200 gigs of video today it it was really useful being able to preview it before I convert to save HD space!

martinhering

QuoteI updated to your new build 150, but it does not open a window. There is only the footage menu bar and the icon in the dock.

Sorry about the crash on 10.11 again. I fixed that now. Please download the most recent build 151.

QuoteSame issue here. The release notes mention "Updated expiry date" is the app going to stop working at some point?

This is only a measure to invalidate old alpha/beta builds. I don't want to have a lot of old and buggy builds in the wild. With every update comes a postponed expire date. Don't worry. Once the app is 1.0, the expire date will be removed entirely.

And sorry for the short update release notes. I am currently very pressed on time and can't invest a lot of effort into this project. With the latest build, I actually improved white balance estimation by a lot. Thanks to @Andi600 for his help.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

giarcpnw

masc

I am very sorry to tell you that this version crashes on startup on my Mac with 10.11. But thanks for your fast updates and hard work!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

giarcpnw

Teamsleepkid

yeah mines crashing too. tried to delete the library file as well but it seems to be missing? anyway i know this project got beat down but any chance we could get a batch export of clips. thats what i meant by "log and transfer" in my last comment. still the best app in my opinion thanks martin. reason i want batch is because i want to make a feature film.
EOS M

martinhering

5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

micster

Quote from: martinhering on May 15, 2017, 11:06:15 AM
El Capitan users, please try build 152.

https://rink.hockeyapp.net/apps/3ed6ecf60e684239a6aba3d407cf3935/app_versions/84
That fixed my crashing. I'm still getting pinkdot errors from my 650D, but I'm guessing you havent implemented a fix yet after our email

ilia3101

El capitan here, did not crash instantly, but when i clicked on a clip from the left panel it did. 5D2, and like other users I've always been having a pink cast, pretty sure it's the black level too low.

martinhering

Really sorry about the crashes. Didn't have the time to test it properly on 10.11.

Build 153 should fix the final remaining crash:
https://rink.hockeyapp.net/apps/3ed6ecf60e684239a6aba3d407cf3935/app_versions/85
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

sigurdneby

Wow! Just discovered this now and can not express how grateful I am! Thanks a ton! Really, really exciting stuff.

Teamsleepkid

Wouldn't blame you if you gave up but can we get batch processing? Not sure if you were working on it I thought maybe you were. I'm also getting bright pink skin lately. Anyway thanks again martin truly great app.
EOS M

nikki

Quote from: sigurdneby on June 16, 2017, 10:26:47 PM
Wow! Just discovered this now and can not express how grateful I am! Thanks a ton! Really, really exciting stuff.

what computer are you using?
what's your work flow?

D_Odell

Very useful for making editable footage! Great job!

I wonder if I'm not seeing of if you can implement the following?

• I can't play the footage, pressing SPACE and nothing happens. Scrolling works though. Any clues?
  • I can't zoom in the image, for example, I record 3,5K sequences with my 5D3. Could you make it possible to zoom in to 100/200/400 %?
  • LUT option? Since I have several LUT with Cinelog color space, an option for applying a Lut prior to export mov would really enhance this app.

All the best,
David

Edit: Sorry for not knowing about the re-write. Then maybe options for the future updates..
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

Wayne H

Hi Martin,

Again cannot thank you enough for this badass app, is there any chance you could add batch export, that would speed up things considerably, and it's the only big must have feature that is missing, i know you said your app is undergoing a huge re-write, but adding a batch export feature would keep us that use your app all time ticking over until you release your new app.

Ps i would request scopes etc (which is another big deal)  but i'm sure that will be reserved exclusively for your new app. Any updates on how this new app is coming along? Eagerly anticipating it's arrival.

Many thanks

Wayne.

Andy600

Quote from: D_Odell on June 28, 2017, 11:11:09 AM
Very useful for making editable footage! Great job!

I wonder if I'm not seeing of if you can implement the following?

• I can't play the footage, pressing SPACE and nothing happens. Scrolling works though. Any clues?
  • I can't zoom in the image, for example, I record 3,5K sequences with my 5D3. Could you make it possible to zoom in to 100/200/400 %?
  • LUT option? Since I have several LUT with Cinelog color space, an option for applying a Lut prior to export mov would really enhance this app.

Al the best,
David

Edit: Sorry for not knowing about the re-write. Then maybe options for the future updates..

Please be aware that the colorspace options in this app are gamma only. This app currently can not render images correctly in Cinelog-C colorspace. Your Cinelog-C luts will not work as intended and will have incorrect color.

AFAIK there is no realtime playback capability with this app.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

D_Odell

Quote from: Andy600 on June 28, 2017, 03:19:35 PM
Please be aware that the colorspace options in this app are gamma only. This app currently can not render images correctly in Cinelog-C colorspace. Your Cinelog-C luts will not work as intended and will have incorrect color.

AFAIK there is no realtime playback capability with this app.
I see, back to Davinci then.
/David
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

kyrobb

Has anyone been able to solve the magenta cast issue? Using build 153 with my 50D footage results in the same problem as the 5D2 guys. Black level issue?

budafilms

- I applied correct vertical patern and I got green vertical lines in the footage ready for davinci.
- I applied remove dots and was remove intermitently in the footage.

I cancelled all the correction and the soft works excelent. I made dots corrections into Resolve.

(I made the shots at iso 3200 and a very hot camera, that's why I got the dots).

kyrobb

I'm not exactly sure what you mean? This removes the pink cast?

reddeercity

No  @budafilms is talking about something different , this a known problem of Mac OS with 5d2 & 50d the black level is 1791 and mac has a hard coded to 2000
I think in that range for raw dng's . But this is not a problem with the post tools e.g. A.E. ACR , Blackmagic resolve , etc... It's the preview in finder that can't handle it , if you are exporting as a prores from this app there should be no problem unless you trying to export Cdng's . Until this app is stable I would recommend you use MLVFS , then resolve to export prores xq . I have used this app a few times with my 5D2 without issues exported to prores.

kyrobb

Thank you for the info! I will have to learn more about MLVFS. I've been using MLRawViewer to convert directly into a Log ProRes, which works best for me. Footage seems even simpler to use but the pink cast is a bummer. My exported ProRes files still have the cast. Hmm...