Development Thread: Footage for Mac (New Mac app for MLV)

Started by martinhering, February 12, 2017, 09:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TechnoPilot

I had an additional thought as someone who has done a lot of research on intermediary formats for my editing workflow.  I know you are currently using the AVFoundation's AVAssetWriter class to export ProRes, but as someone who discounted ProRes a little while back in favour of the GPU accelerated preset resolution Cineform codec, do you think there is any chance export in such codec might be possible to add down the road?  It really is nice to be able to disregard working in only native resolutions for my intermediaries until final export to retain extra resolution where I have it available.
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

martinhering

Quotebut as someone who discounted ProRes a little while back in favour of the GPU accelerated preset resolution Cineform codec, do you think there is any chance export in such codec might be possible to add down the road?

Sure why not.

Quote...and wondering if there might be any chance you could port the code back to Yosemite like I saw someone else enquire about.

Not at the moment, because Yosemite lacks some specific RAW APIs, my app currently needs.

QuoteThe exported dngs have a different colour and exposure level than the one out of mlv_dump/mlrawviewer, is this by design?

DNGs dont have color or exposure levels. These parameters are used during processing of a raw image. But with the help of @Andy600 I found some color issues with the app, notably false Camera Matrixes in the DNG metadata that effects white balancing. This will be fixed with the next update.

Also @Andy600 made me look deeper into the innards of Apple's RAW engine, and I did not really like what I saw. There is a deep, deep problem with how Apple handles color and converting into multiple color spaces. I am currently investigating this issue.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

togg

Lars Steenhoff

8)I like the app and its very usefull already.

For me de debayering and the cinelog workflow of ACR in after effects gives me great quality.
I would like to use the footage app for all the mlv to dng conversion, and proxy generation.

Also it could be a great organisational tool if keywords and ratings could be added in the app that would export with the dng's

martinhering

@togg
When you have specific bugs, please use the "Support" form in the "Help" menu. Here in the forum, it just scrolls by and I have difficulties of tracking the issues. Also with something like hot pixel correction not working, it would be great if you could upload the MLV somewhere for me to download and check out. That would be awesome.

@Lars Steenhoff
Converting the DNG and developing them in Resolve or AfterEffects should be fine (apart from the WB issue, that's going to be fixed shortly), but using the ProRes output as final footage has color and dynamic range problems for now. I think, I won't be able to solve that in the short term, since this is a problem with Apple's RAW engine itself. I would need to develop my own RAW engine and this is out of scope for now. I will continue developing the app more as a preview and organisational tool. Professionals should always export CinemaDNG and not ProRes for the moment.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

Lars Steenhoff

can you also copy the wav file when converting to dng so they are all in the same folder on export?

martinhering

5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

DeafEyeJedi

Is this a bug when opening MLV's directly from outside (seems I have to do it twice?) versus from within Footage app itself?

Also seems coincidental after finally opening it from outside the 2nd time I am then unable to export (neither ProRes or CDNG's) as it's greyed out for some reason unless I were to add from inside the app itself.

https://vimeo.com/214203405

Is this to be expected atm w the latest Version 0.3 (141)?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

martinhering

Yeah, that's a bug. Thank you. Will fix that. I'll also add QuickLook for the Finder. Those icons doesn't look very good.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

Lars Steenhoff

martinhering

5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

martinhering

If you read this thread here, you already know that I will be changing the app significantly. The app will continue to be a management and development tool for Mac, but it won't be solely based on MLV. There are other cameras, I like to support in the future, like Black Magic Ursa, Sony FS Series, Canon C Series, DJI X5R, ARRI Alexa, etc that shoot RAW. So I will mainly focus on Cinema DNG. MLV will be supported through an external tool, that will be open-source. I will try to interface this tool using inter-process communication, to make the integration as tight as possible, but you are free to use other conversion tools as well.

The current build expires on May 15 and unfortunately I won't be able to release a new version until I restructured the app. I hope you all understand. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Martin
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

Lars Steenhoff

I keep an eye out for the new version  :). , and about quicklook will you still make this plugin?

giarcpnw

It would be very unfortunate if your app expired on May 15th. MLV_dump nor other apps like it address some of the pixel issue yet. Vertical banding, dead pixels etc. We'll be back to unusable footage with these new 14bit lossless builds from ML.

I read your other thread. It sounds like you're getting an OK from g3gg0 to keep using the ML code how it's implemented in your app.  But, i'm not versed in code licensing so maybe i'm missing the finer details.  I look forward to what other apps you may create but sure hope you can keep Footage from time bombing on the 15th.

Craig

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: martinhering on April 23, 2017, 10:44:20 AM
...but it won't be solely based on MLV. There are other cameras, I like to support in the future, like Black Magic Ursa, Sony FS Series, Canon C Series, DJI X5R, ARRI Alexa, etc that shoot RAW. So I will mainly focus on Cinema DNG. MLV will be supported through an external tool, that will be open-source.

Bold decision. Looking forward to it.

QuoteI will try to interface this tool using inter-process communication, to make the integration as tight as possible, but you are free to use other conversion tools as well

As in free to use other conversion tools as well within the next version of your application, correct?

QuoteThe current build expires on May 15 and unfortunately I won't be able to release a new version until I restructured the app. I hope you all understand. Thank you for your understanding and support.

As much as I want to understand this (I do, literally) but this time bomb hogshit is pretty much a 'slap in the face' to those that have helped you get up to this point, including myself.

Anyway, here's another bug w Version 0.3 (141) and not sure if this matters but noticed if I try to use a single MLV file larger than 40-50GB or so from the import window which then freezes and hangs the app. Thus forcing me to quit.

Here's a log report:

https://mega.nz/#!Ot8yXRrJ!vzuEjiFoGopJxCqD87ObcV-umq2TkxzrRA3jusWqjTA
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

martinhering

QuoteAs much as I want to understand this (I do, literally) but this time bomb hogshit is pretty much a 'slap in the face' to those that have helped you get up to this point, including myself.

I am happy to send out an update that postpones the expire date, if nobody gives me problems about the GPL issues.

QuoteAnyway, here's another bug w Version 0.3 (141) and not sure if this matters but noticed if I try to use a single MLV file larger than 40-50GB or so from the import window which then freezes and hangs the app. Thus forcing me to quit.

I found this out myself. There is some UI missing that shows an import progress. The app needs to scan the whole file and make an index. This can take awhile depending on the speed of your hard drive usually. I am planning to improve this with the 0.4 alpha.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

g3gg0

Quote from: giarcpnw on April 23, 2017, 11:05:15 PM
It sounds like you're getting an OK from g3gg0 to keep using the ML code how it's implemented in your app.  But, i'm not versed in code licensing so maybe i'm missing the finer details.

there was definitely no "it is okay to violate GPL" from me or any other ML dev.
i was interested in how he uses our code and trying to find a solution that would not violate GPL and still be good enough for him.
neither he received some ultimatum nor did he receive some clearance for using the code.

Quote from: martinhering on April 26, 2017, 01:51:36 PM
I am happy to send out an update that postpones the expire date, if nobody gives me problems about the GPL issues.

as long you manage to fix current GPL issues that seem to exist (don't personally have a clear picture of its extent) there is no reason to place a timebomb.
you are encouraged to fix the issues as quick as possible of course.
but as you contributed to ML in various ways, i am sure you will get it right.

btw:
please understand that we cannot say "well, just use our code and its fine" to solve this issue.
while much of our code is written by few devs, there is still code from other sources using GPL licenses.
and its not possible for us to relicense e.g. mlv_dump in general.
(only exception was mlv_structs.h which share no other's code)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

lostfeliz

I'm still getting errors from Adobe Premiere when playing back files exported from Footage in ProRes 4444.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6t76ybdtgfbxoi/Screenshot%202017-04-27%2010.03.42.png?dl=0
They play okay, but the errors continuously arise.

martinhering

@lostfeliz

Sorry, I didn't have the time yet to check this out. Still on it. Unfortunately right now, I have other priorities and the scope and timeline of my app has been extended by a lot.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

etx

This app is great. Thanks so much for your hard work!

lostfeliz

No Worries, Martin. Just followed up to let you know it wasn't a one time fluke.

giarcpnw

Just curious if you're still planning to expire the current version on the 15th. I've become quite fond of using it to see the take before exporting to CNG.

I hope not...

Craig

Teamsleepkid

Call it log and transfer and put it on the App Store haha!!
EOS M

masc

I also get a pinkish picture for every clip on all my Macs as @togg got on page 6 of this thread. Is there a solution yet?
I use footage 0.3 141 on El Capitan, iMac 21.5" mid 2011, or MBP 13" retina late 2013.
EOS 5D Mark II, MLV+Sound latest revision, Fullframe-Raw.
Anyone else has this problem? In MLRawViewer, MLVProducer or MLVFS+Resolve everything goes well.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202