Canon 1300D/Rebel T6

Started by BrokenSyntax, February 09, 2017, 04:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrokenSyntax

So I know there has been some success in running ML on the 1200D/T5, I do not know if the port is actively being maintained but I would like to understand what the state of play is for working with the 1300D. I bought a Canon 1300D recently and hoped to use ML on it.

After a quick google search I don't believe there has been any substantial development work gone into running ML on the 1300D, short of some ROM dumps and people asking the same old questions. I'm a developer and have experience dealing with embedded systems and reverse engineering bespoke chips, but I don't have tons of time to dedicate to getting this to work. That's why I've started this thread, before I get my teeth into it, I want to know what success there has been already and what known stumbling blocks there have been in getting ML to run on the 1300D.

Speculatively, I can imagine that the main differences between the T5 and T6 are unfortunately mostly software, the T6 features a DIGIC 4+ chip, which is not featured in any other camera but since the T6 offers new NFC and WiFi capabilities the hardware and firmware will potentially have subtle differences.

Where are we at with the 1300D, is there an active effort that I have not identified yet? I would like to apply myself to getting the 1300D working with ML but will not have access to the 1300D for a few days, in my downtime I want to make sure I am setting off on the right foot.

a1ex

Indeed, at first sight, the 1300D looks like an easy port (very similar to the other digic 4 cameras). It does have its own quirks (e.g. bootloader address) and some things borrowed from more recent models (e.g. ROM layout), but I don't expect any major trouble.

FilmStream

I am new to the forum and to the camera. I was informed about ML two days ago and would love to access some of the features on my DSLR which I use most for video.

I have a T6i and unfortunately there does not seem to be a build for that model as yet....am I correct?

Has anyone got experience in running ML on this model Canon?