ML shuts down 5D III when connected to Omnicharge external power source

Started by TekAzurik, February 07, 2017, 11:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TekAzurik

I just took delivery of an Omnicharge 20 from their indiegogo campaign. It comes with a DC out port on the side which has a user-dialed variable voltage. I set it to 7.2v as the LP-E6s are listed as (this is actually a preprogrammed preset on the device), and used an LP-E6 to DC port adapter I've had and been using with great success for a while now when connected to a V-lock plate.

For some reason it seems that Magic Lantern is causing the camera to shut down after less than a minute when connected this way. It does not shut down when I have the ML SD card removed from the camera, and it runs my wife's 60D without ML fine as well. I have had no problem using the LP-E6 adapter with my V-locks, and recent testing reveals this to still be the case.

Is there a power setting somewhere in ML that's causing this? I can't seem to find anything on this topic anywhere online. Thanks!

ilia3101

I don't know what's causing that, but you could try voltages up to 8.4 volts, as 7.2 is a sort of half charged state for the battery, which is two lithium cells in series (all lithium cells have a storage voltage of 3.6v and are 4.2v when fully charged) don't know if it will help but do try raising it a little bit. Also my genuine Canon LP E6 says 8.1v on it

TekAzurik

Interesting. I've checked a few of my genuine Canon batteries and they all say 7.2, truth be told I haven't bought new batteries in a few years. I guess I'll try upping the voltage, the camera does say DC 8.0v on it, I'm just really afraid of frying it.

EDIT: Well I went up to 8.0v and that didn't seem to solve it. I also tried disabling the image stabilizer on the lens and that didn't help either. I don't really dare go higher than the voltage on the camera. I definitely can't afford to fry it. Any other thoughts?

a1ex

ML does not shut down the camera intentionally (I don't even know how to do that).

Is the shutdown clean or not? (easy to tell at next boot - whether the modules are loaded or not)

Does formatting the card help?

Does restoring ML settings help?

Does changing the GUI mode help? (e.g. LiveView, playback, photo with display on, photo with display off)

What does the battery indicator show?

Are you able to compile ML and disable the battery level checks?

TekAzurik

-It does shut down cleanly. What happens exactly is after 30 seconds or so the mirror clicks back into place and all the screens shut off and there is a flashing empty battery icon in the bottom right hand corner of the display on the top of the camera. Turning the on-off switch to off causes the red LED light to flicker a bit, so I'm guessing this is ML shutting itself down cleanly

-formatting the card did not help

-restoring settings did not help

-switching it to global draw off did not help, putting it into photo mode seems to fix the problem, but as a video shooter that obviously doesn't help me much, if I switch to video mode from photo mode it flashes Err on the top screen and the remaining images count says 20. I had to take the battery adapter out to get it to boot up again.

-the battery indicator in ML's overlays says 100%, the screen on the top of the camera says empty

-forgive me I've used ML for years but I'm not sure how to compile.

ansius

Is there grip involved? I remember that my grip for 7D correctly reported state of only one of two batteries, including battery adapters.

Is the battery adapter chipped, mine isn't and I get a prompt  when I switch camera and I have to confirm to continue to use it, this also happened with one of alternative batteries.

mine measures 8.2V (on PSU it is says 8V 3A), have been using it without any problems on 7D and 6D
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

a1ex

ERR20 is related to shutter mechanism. Best guess: voltage drop under load.