External Monitor for 550D not working with USB-RCA cable

Started by dhlogic, January 18, 2017, 11:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhlogic

Hello,

I have a Canon 550D and I am using the latest nightly build for my camera:

magiclantern-Nightly.2017Jan14.550D109

When running Canon firmware, the USB-RCA cable outputs video to external sources.

I'm having a problem when running the latest Magic Lantern build. When the camera is first turned on, I get a brief flash, but then nothing. Also when the camera's back LCD goes to sleep and I wake it up by pressing a button, I also get a brief flash on my external monitor, but then it disappears.

I saw years ago there was a similar problem reported and solved. It was described as a "redraw bug".

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues/780/external-monitor-for-550d-not-working-with

Anything I can do to fix this? Thank you!

dhlogic

Well, I tried some previous builds, including all the way back to the stable release v2.3 to see if I could get it to work. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful and the camera behaved the same as with the latest nightly build.

Does anyone else with a 550D have a problem using an external monitor via the USB-RCA cable like I am?

While a long shot, especially since it works with canon firmware, perhaps there is some sort of hardware incompatibility with the specific monitor/cable/camera I have when running magic lantern and should buy something else?

teatotalTED

Try switching headphone monitoring off under the audio menu.

dhlogic

Thank you very much for that tip. It works!

Perhaps I might have found it eventually, but you saved me a lot of time. Thank you.

The tooltip for audio monitoring says to turn it off if you use a SD display.

Anna Sharkaya

Hi, i also have this problem but also solved according to follow method, but unfortunate  :'(my external monitor will going broken, do you have suggest for this? what's your brand of exernal monitor?