I have a Canon 60d camera and i don't make video.

Started by Fdelgado, January 18, 2017, 11:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fdelgado

Hi.

I'm a newbie here and i'm trying to understand if does'it worth it to risk and install ML on my camera if i don't use it as filmmaker. All i see in youtube is the advantage to shoot video and not much for photo. I have also a Canon firmware version 1.1.2 and i don't see any tutorial  to guide me through the instalation of ML.

Can you please advise me, mainly who has a canon 60D. I might be wrong. :) :)

(sorry for my english)

Thank you.  :D :D

Fdelgado

Nobody!

Enviado do meu thl 5000 através de Tapatalk

ItsMeLenny

There are many features for photographers as well.
- focus racking/stacking
- dual iso
- hdr automation
- raw histograms
The list goes on.

If you don't need ML then don't install it.
But there's really little to no risk. (don't quote me on that).
If the devs had a dollar for every time a camera broke they would be broke themselves (citation needed).

Fdelgado

Hi.  Thank you for your answer was very usefull. I have a additional problem.  I have firmware 1.1.2 and i don't know if theres a problem to do a downgrade to 1.1.1 canon firmware só that i can install ML. Do you know anything about that or where i can find Information about it. Thank you so much. 😃

Fdelgado

Ok. I have made the downgrade from firmware 1.1.2 to 1.1.1.  Só far só Good.

Fdelgado

I've installed magic lantern with success. Dual ISO is ver Good. I have use also ettr but i don't understand How it works and How can i control it better.

garry23

@Fdelgado

First, make sure you understand what ETTR means, irrespective of using ML.

Simply, you are trying to push the exposure to the right of the histogram, just before the sensor sites start to saturate. Once they are saturated, you have no more useful data to gather.

The various options in MLETTR allow you to customize how ETTR works. The important thing to appreciate is that MLETTR is working on the RAW data, i.e. not JPEG data, hence it is the most accurate feedback you will get, eg compared to a Canon histogram, which is based on JPEG data.

I suggest you experiment with the settings yourself, eg highlight ignore is the % of your image you are prepared to allow to saturate. I typically set this to a low number or 0.

Midtone and shadow SNR is telling ETTR to ensure these two parts of your tonal data are captured, but at the cost/risk of over exposing your highlights. I personally set these to 0.

Link to Dual, simply does that.

As I say, experiment :-)

garry23

@Walter Schulz

You are, of course correct, I gave a quick reply as I thought the poster may not get a response.

As you say, it's not just about the technical side, it's also about the artistic side.

As I said, I tend to hover around a low %, as you say, about 0.1.

The key point I was trying to encourage Fdelgado to do is experiment, as this is the best way to learn IMHO.

Cheers

Garry

Fdelgado

Thx for your help. I've already use ettr before magic lantern,  Because i do bird photography and i need high ISO to shoot at high speed. What iam looking for is someone Who do a similar thing and trying to learn something. I use highlight ignore 0,1% and control the ninimum speed and at this moment that's all i know. I leave at this moment the default snr limits. I' ve already try to link dual but on birdphoto i don't like the hdr aspect. But of course that iam going to try wathever is possible to do. Thank you for your (both) advice.