Color Temp @ 4800k on default, (SHOTS are YELLOW no matter what kelvin presets)

Started by ddrek87, January 17, 2017, 05:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddrek87

Hey guys,

Is there a way to lock the kelvin presets on the RAW files? I realized when i preview the files on mac's finder or drag the dng files to final cut pro X, the color temps are @ 4800k. To fix this, i need to drag all dng files into lightroom then batch edit them to the correct color temperature saving as TIFF (saving as dng wont work as it resets back to 4800k when i drag them into FCPX) .

I would love them to stay at the temperature i have set during the shoot so I do not have to correct them via lightroom and save them as TIFF(losing some of the dynamic range for later color correction).

Please help! Thanks!

DeafEyeJedi

How exactly did you batch process your RAW files into dng's? Which converter did you use?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dmilligan

You have to use MLV format to get WB metadata. Then you need to use a converter that supports it (MLVFS or raw2cdng are the ones I'm aware of that handle WB, and maybe MLVProducer, not sure).

reddeercity

Quote from: ddrek87 on January 17, 2017, 05:37:12 PM

Is there a way to lock the kelvin presets on the RAW files? I realized when i preview the files on mac's finder or drag the dng files to final cut pro X, the color temps are @ 4800k. To fix this, i need to drag all dng files into lightroom then batch edit them to the correct color temperature saving as TIFF (saving as dng wont work as it resets back to 4800k when i drag them into FCPX) .
I would love them to stay at the temperature i have set during the shoot so I do not have to correct them via lightroom and save them as TIFF(losing some of the dynamic range for later color correction).Please help! Thanks!
Will first off FCPX dose not know how to handle Camera Raw DNG/Cdng's image file they all defaults to sRGB Limited color space ! (no raw here , more like a tiff or png)
That being said , did you change the DNG/Cdng Color Space in the Setting tab ? There 4 if I remember right , sRGB , Rec709 , Adobe RGB , BT601
You have to select all dng's and adjust. That will affect WB , So when you change the dng to tiff why are you not importing to Apple Compressor and rendering out to Apple ProRes 4444XQ ?
Unless you don't have it .
The biggest problem with fcpx and image sequence's is that it doesn't handle sequentially numbered files(image) in large quantity very good at all.
Even after you made the compound clip , the order will be mixed up . At the moment the best way to handle image sequence's 
file is to make 10bit DPX and use the AJA translator to import as a references movie (.mov file) or A.E. ACR to ProRes4444XQ not ProRes4444
because 4444 is HD/Rec709 and XQ is Full Range/Film .
FYI I archive my MLV raw to Flat/Log ProRes4444XQ.
My 2 cents  ;D

DeafEyeJedi

ddrek87

Quote from: reddeercity on January 18, 2017, 01:52:23 AM
Will first off FCPX dose not know how to handle Camera Raw DNG/Cdng's image file they all defaults to sRGB Limited color space ! (no raw here , more like a tiff or png)
That being said , did you change the DNG/Cdng Color Space in the Setting tab ? There 4 if I remember right , sRGB , Rec709 , Adobe RGB , BT601
You have to select all dng's and adjust. That will affect WB , So when you change the dng to tiff why are you not importing to Apple Compressor and rendering out to Apple ProRes 4444XQ ?
Unless you don't have it .
The biggest problem with fcpx and image sequence's is that it doesn't handle sequentially numbered files(image) in large quantity very good at all.
Even after you made the compound clip , the order will be mixed up . At the moment the best way to handle image sequence's 
file is to make 10bit DPX and use the AJA translator to import as a references movie (.mov file) or A.E. ACR to ProRes4444XQ not ProRes4444
because 4444 is HD/Rec709 and XQ is Full Range/Film .
FYI I archive my MLV raw to Flat/Log ProRes4444XQ.
My 2 cents  ;D
Quote from: dmilligan on January 17, 2017, 11:17:46 PM
You have to use MLV format to get WB metadata. Then you need to use a converter that supports it (MLVFS or raw2cdng are the ones I'm aware of that handle WB, and maybe MLVProducer, not sure).

You guys are awesome! Downloaded MLVFS + Davinci Resolve, everything looks as per shot now! Lots to learn!

Thank you!

DeafEyeJedi