Large amount of Hot Pixels in RAW footage (Canon 6D)

Started by Oathkeeper1212, January 15, 2017, 12:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oathkeeper1212

Hey guys, I apologize if this has been discussed multiple times. I've tried searching around, but I haven't seen anyone with exactly the same issue as me. Lately, I've been noticing a lot of what I think are hot pixels. I don't recall this being a problem before, but now when I shoot at 3200-6400 ISO, I can clearly see many white dots, basically making all the footage that has it unusable.

Here's a frame from one of the worse shots. This was shot using a Canon 6D + 16-35mm F/2.8L at 6400 ISO, 1600x540 60fps, stretched in post. Nightly Build 2016Sep16.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dky6z1o4unqgpd8/M13-0704_C0000_00224.tiff?dl=0
I've tried ACR noise reduction, but with both color and luminance set to the max, the pixels still show.

Any help would be appreciated! I hope I provided enough information.

EDIT: Here's a link to the full video if it helps, https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vktijhsrvzkctk/M13-0704_C0000.mov?dl=0
You'll have to download it to really see them.

a1ex

Please extract one unprocessed frame with:

# copy frame 10 from input.mlv to frame.mlv, without any processing
mlv_dump -o frame.mlv -f 10-10 input.mlv

Impulse noise reduction from RawTherapee may also help.

Any difference with the latest nightly? Just changed the preferred raw type (the location in Canon's image processing pipeline where the raw stream is extracted from), so there may be changes in output on some cameras.

Oathkeeper1212

Quote from: a1ex on January 15, 2017, 01:16:55 AM
Please extract one unprocessed frame with:

# copy frame 10 from input.mlv to frame.mlv, without any processing
mlv_dump -o frame.mlv -f 10-10 input.mlv

Impulse noise reduction from RawTherapee may also help.

Any difference with the latest nightly? Just changed the preferred raw type (the location in Canon's image processing pipeline where the raw stream is extracted from), so there may be changes in output on some cameras.

Sorry, I forgot to also mention that for some reason when I try to open a DNG with RawTherapee, it crashes. Running on my MBP with OS 10.12.2.
Also, how do I go about running that code? Thank you in advance for your help!

Levas

Try out remapping hot pixels.
Google for it:
Hot pixel remapping canon
Did helped a lot for raw video on my canon 6d.
If I remember correct you need to remove the lens, place the bodycap on the camera and then perform a manualy sensor cleaning from the Canon menu.
It helps to heat up the sensor a little by using liveview on iso 6400 a few minutes, right before doing the manual sensor cleaning.

On iso 6400 there probably still will be soms (hot) pixel noise, which is easy removed by most raw editors. Like RawTherapee, it has a hot pixel remover function on the raw tab