Japan 5D III RAW

Started by zerocool22, January 10, 2017, 12:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerocool22

GutterPump

Already liked your video 1 mounth ago.
Amazing stuff, really filmic look and Inspiring.

Can you share your workflow ? Color grading tips ?

LoO93

Very nice grading! Loved the look of the night scene in the backstreet and the clearness of the ones in the woods . I'm amazed to see what the 5DIII is capable of!

I also noticed that you may have the wrong aspect ratio for the clips of the running girl at the beach. I guess it's because of the squeeze when you shoot raw in higher fps rates.

I'd also be glad to hear a bit more about your workflow on this one.

zerocool22

Thanks,

Yeah I had to scale it, and it felt off and I tweaked it until I though was right. But if you can notice it, its still off :)

About workflow. I had the visioncolor pp active while shooting RAW(in my case it shoots the RAW file with the pp on it). And then graded in resolve. First I denoised, then added sharpness, then I play with the shadows, then the highlights, and then the mids until I find something I like, and copied it onto all other clips and tweaked it where needed. 

teatotalTED

Lots of great shots, but also feels like a series of clips, seems like a lot of inconsistency of grade, colour palette, contrast, saturation and noise levels, even with shots of same subject matter, feels like there's nothing tying the whole together. I don't mean some heavy handed colour filtering over all clips, but something more subtle in tones, hues and noise level to tie the relevant clips together and to tie the sequence together as a whole.

sylvain_c

i think its very good, a rec709 feeling i would say from what I understand of this term.
I don't see so much inconsistency, but maybe because i'm an amateur, except aspect ratio.
zerocool22, just to say raw does not record picture profile, if it's what you said?
And so you did this only with the clips in rec709 and the shadows/highlight/mids??The result is very cool for so few efforts, I will try this workflow next time, never used any other approach than the logs starting points (BMD, visioncolor, arri log-C, etc... in RCM resolve).

Just one last question about your audio  :).You put some compressor, limiter or something like that?
5D MKIII 1.1.3

zerocool22

Thanks, Yeah I EQ'ed the audio and the voice over and put a compressor on the voice over.

budafilms

Cool, a kind of " Tree of Life"!

goldenchild9to5

Awesome work @zerocool22 looks amazing you made the 5D III RAW shine.  If I'm reading your workflow right you did not use BMC Film Log profile or any LUT..  keep up the great work. 

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: zerocool22 on January 11, 2017, 12:26:23 PM
About workflow. I had the visioncolor pp active while shooting RAW(in my case it shoots the RAW file with the pp on it). And then graded in resolve. First I denoised, then added sharpness, then I play with the shadows, then the highlights, and then the mids until I find something I like, and copied it onto all other clips and tweaked it where needed.

Really? Care to elaborate on it and perhaps share one of your RAW files that supposedly has PP from VisionColor applied. Because PP is not to supposed to take effect when it comes to shooting RAW or let alone MLV afaik. Thanks @zerocool22!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Kyle Kearns

rrrmusic

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on January 17, 2017, 07:12:56 PM
Really? Care to elaborate on it and perhaps share one of your RAW files that supposedly has PP from VisionColor applied. Because PP is not to supposed to take effect when it comes to shooting RAW or let alone MLV afaik. Thanks @zerocool22!
I want to know too.