64GB SDXC Card BootFlag/DSLR Ready

Started by lasproductions, August 02, 2012, 01:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lasproductions

Hey All, Im pretty new to this site, just found out about it yesterday but have been using ML since the very first build in December! I just recently purchased a 64gb Sandisk SDXC card thats giving me a lot of trouble in EOS Card REader and MacBoot. Its not coming up readable in MacBoot and on the EOS card reader I am unable to select any other radio dial except for eFAT - leaving me unable to check eos develop or bootflag! :-(

Michael Zöller

For the camera preparation (bootflag) you will need a card of 32 GB or smaller. You can use ML with your 64 GB card, though.

Please consult INSTALL.PDF. Everything is explained there. Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

Led

Hi, I use 64 gig cards with macboot no problems.
Have a look up in the right top corner of the macboot interface
and there should be a drop down selector (max card size) where you choose the size of the card you are working with.
If yours it set to less than 64gb then it will say no suitable card found or something like that.
Change the drop down to 64gb, check the make dslr bootable box and click prepare.
Then just copy the ML files onto that card.
If you are running ML already on other cards then your camera has already had the bootflag prepared and you don't need to do it
again for every card, just copy the ML files onto it.

NOTE : If you are running Mountain Lion OS you need to run an extra script as it messes with permissions.
Go here and read the notes about a quarter of the way down the page for Mountain Lion Users:
http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/macboot/macboot.html

lasproductions

Led,

Thanks so much! I was having such trouble with it working but your reply helped out greatly!

Much appreciated!
-Lauren  :D

Michael Zöller

neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

Led

Good to hear Lauren. 64 gig cards rule.. they store more than an Ipad!
Well done.
Cheers.

rajaitwal

Led, I have 64gb sdxc II card and when I followed the same process in macbook interface, it does not give me the option prepare, how can I enable it?

rajaitwal

pavelpp

I am having a problem with SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC card. I followed the instructions, but the camera (60D) still does not see ML. Runs perfectly from a 32GB SDHC card, but no luck with 64GB...I low-formatted the card in camera, made it bootable with macboot utility and copied all ML files to the root of the card. However ML still isn't loaded. What am I doing wrong?

UPDATE: I forgot, that on Mavericks I need to download a macboot.command file and run in first. Now everything is working!

mf

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine used this very method to prepare two 64GB SXDC SanDisk (extreme pro) sd card for ML on 550D and we had a strong issue while shooting on location : after trying to format the card from canon's menu (keeping ml) we weren't able to read the card anymore (not with the dslr, nor mac os x 10.6, 10.8, Windows, Ubuntu...).

PANIC !

After a few (!) researchs, I understood that the volume was formated in exFAT format (thank you Ubuntu for being a bit more talkative than Windows and Mac).

So I needed exfat-fuse to read it : http://askubuntu.com/questions/100278/how-do-i-install-and-mount-an-exfat-partition

But there was another problem : "invalid VBR checksum".

After a few (more) researchs, I ended using Andrew Nayenko patch telling the computer to ignore the "invalid VBR checksum" : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/exfat/JkjAsCu4Cws

I did achieve that by installing other programms, mainly programms that are explicitly required by the terminal (easy to find), and other, that I install but I don't know which one is really useful :
    apt-get install build-essential
    apt-get install libfuse-dev
    apt-get install fuse-utils
    apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev
    apt-get install libxml2-dev
    apt-get install mime-support

Any how, I am eventualy backing up my SD card !!!
Thank you ubuntu !

PS/ After that, I stop formatting my other cards, just deleting the videos once it was backed up. Don't know if it's correct or not, but it worked...