7D RAW in Crete

Started by RistoN, December 26, 2016, 03:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RistoN

This is a little Test/Travel video i shot with my 6 year old Canon EOS 7D in RAW with Magic Lantern. Its the first time i fully edited and colored the project in DaVinci Resolve 12.5. Resolve 12.5 has gotten way better with time and now its actually useable, it really reminded me a Final Cut Pro X way of editing.

A bit about the RAW itself from this camera. I wish this would have been possible 6 years ago when I first got this camera. But in 2016 we have cameras that can easily outperform the 7D in any aspect of its video capabilities. Im looking forward to ML's compressed RAW recordings for the cameras 10 and 12bits instead of the 14bits, for much more compact file sizes. I would use ML RAW in 5D Mk III mainly or if the Mk IV gets hacked ;). But 7D RAW with this resolution and this moire is not worth the hassle.

The good:
The image has much more latitude and is lossless compared to the H264 compression. Possibility to manipulate the image in post is amazing.

The bad:
1728x736 is just not enough anymore, it has lots of moire and the lossless RAW is not really compact and the workflow is just not worth it.

For Nerds
Resolution: 1728x736 Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
FPS: 23.976
Bitrate: up to 90MB/s
No audio recording
CF Card: 64GB 1066x Lexar Pro 160MB/s
Rendered in 4K, since 1080p YouTube has only 10MB/s and some of the shots are in 2.5K with 5x zoom.
MLVMystic was used to convert MLV to DNG files.
I got the best image without the Chroma Smoothing.
Also i used Vertical Stripes Fix, cause my camera tends to get vertical stripes from time to time.
And to get the nice Canon colors back i used Cinelog-C which gets rid of this greenish cold BMD Film tone.
Note: I have nothing against BlackMagic, i love their products, but i prefer Canon's color science.
http://youtu.be/LkuMxRYQXAE