Author Topic: ProcessTwoInTwoOutLosslessPath  (Read 35874 times)

vorob

• New to the forum
Re: ProcessTwoInTwoOutLosslessPath
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2017, 09:09:08 AM »
Hi, can anyone explain what's going on here? Why do we need this? CR2 files are compressed? Lost smth? Not 14bit? Thank you and sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Walter Schulz

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2017, 09:16:40 AM »
CR2 out of the cam (with and without ML): Lossless compressed
DNG/MLV/RAW out of ML (produced by some ML features, not all of them): Uncompressed.

This thread is about enabling ML to produce lossless compressed output, too.
And compression means less bandwidth required writing to card.

vorob

• New to the forum
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2017, 09:20:19 AM »
CR2 out of the cam (with and without ML): Lossless compressed
DNG/MLV/RAW out of ML (produced by some ML features, not all of them): Uncompressed.

This thread is about enabling ML to produce lossless compressed output, too.
And compression means less bandwidth required writing to card.

Files are 15-20% smaller and image previews load faster in lightroom. The disadvantage is some metadata is discarded and dng files don't play well with some non-adobe software. There's also an argument that dng files are more future proof, but since old dng files are different to new dng files, I don't buy that argument; I'm sure I'll still be able to access/convert cr2 files in 20 years if it becomes and issue.

Basically if you never intend to move outside of Adobe's ecosystem then it's a nice choice for saving some hard drive space. With modern hardware the speed advantage will be minimal for most people, and there's the risk if you move to capture one or dxo (say) in the future, you'll have issues with camera profiles and lens correction not working accurately (despite the format being semi-supported).

Well, i still don't get it... :(

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2017, 10:12:20 AM »
Ignore the second quote, as it does not apply to this thread at all.

What's researched here does not provide any reason to replace the CR2 format for regular still pictures.

- Better compression? In our DNGs, compression is not any better or worse than CR2; it is identical.
- Saving a conversion step (if you convert to DNG anyway)? Not a good reason for justifying the development effort IMO.
- Additional EXIF info? Maybe, but XMP works and is minimally invasive to Canon code.
- "Quality loss from converting your Canon RAW files into DNGs"? There's none. Once uncompressed, raw data is 100% identical (check with e.g. dcraw -4 -E after converting a CR2 with Adobe DNG Converter).

It's all about the files saved by ML features (silent pictures, possibly raw video). Maybe also opening the door to MJPEG.

Walter Schulz

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2017, 10:37:29 AM »
@vorob: Your second quote comes from Canonrumours.
Lesson to be learnt: Don't trust anything written about ML outside ML forum. They tend to mix up things badly. And almost never you will find a corrections section.

Walter Schulz

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2017, 01:31:18 PM »
May I ask if such an incident ever happened? I'm willing to bet it hasn't in the past and won't happen in the future.
If I'm loosing the bet I will also win because it will tell me about a reliable news site.

Maximo

• New to the forum
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2017, 02:54:38 PM »
Hi guys,
How likely will we have 4K lossless video DNG files on the 5D mark IV?  Many thanks.

Walter Schulz

« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2017, 02:58:59 PM »
58.12699378 %

Licaon_Kter

• Senior
  • M
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2017, 03:24:36 PM »
@Maximo: Each new 5DIV camera that @a1ex receives for free in order to develop ML for, will increase chances by 5%!

Wayne H

• Just arrived
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2017, 04:41:29 PM »
Really excited by this find and development and where it could potentially lead.

Motion JPeg, or dng at 50-60% compressed of the original file size and higher resolutions would be just unbelievable... maybe a april 1st announcement :D, fingers crossed.

Massive thank you to the whole magic lantern community for this amazing software and a special thanks to the core developers.

Any news on how things are progressing?

courtesy