The Leading or Flagship camera for the BEST Magic Lantern video quality experie.

Started by KenshirouX, December 14, 2016, 06:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KenshirouX

Hi gang,

This is actually a question but at the same time, I think it should be a sticky topic that should be kept up to date as more and more cameras have been released and on the way, cameras that ML are or will be serving.

A few years ago. I purchased the Canon 5D Mark III because I knew about ML providing unrivalled RAW video and I definitely wouldn't have purchased the camera if I didn't know about that information. Without a doubt, this was an excellent decision and I no regrets for ML brought the 5D mk iii camera to great heights that helped the camera remain unrivalled for providing insane 12-bit video quality for a couple of years. During that time, the general consensus throughout the industry is that the 5D mkiii is the best camera for ML. 

Alas, that was a few years ago...  Since then, we have received a number of new cameras such as the Canon M, 1D, 5Ds-R, 5D Mark IV and so on. In consideration of these latest cameras, their unique features, (e.g. 4K), the vast progress and current status of ML's development, I think it's time to rethink what camera is considered the flagship cam for ML experience and possibly the top 3 ranking.  I think keeping this information up to date would be an incredible help to everyone, from current to newcomers a-like, and from big spenders to those that are on a strict budget.

So, what is the new flagship ML camera and possibly the top 3 ranking cameras?  Let it be known here.

eNnvi

Always 5d3 as it's the best processor, pheriperals and interface chips that can work with ML.

5D4, 80D, 750/760D, 1D, ecc aren't supported by ML now

KenshirouX

Canon 5D Mark III still rules to roost as the flagship camera for ML?  Surprising.  I would have thought something like the 5DS and R would have stepped in place of the 5Dmkiii by now with their improved sensors that should allow cleaner RAW output.

For those that are on a budget, what camera ranks below the 5Dmkiii?  The 5D mkii and 7D mk ii?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: KenshirouX on December 14, 2016, 06:33:59 PM
So, what is the new flagship ML camera and possibly the top 3 ranking cameras?  Let it be known here.

This was your question. 7D2 not yet supported by ML. Same for 5DS.

dfort

The Flagship camera for the BEST Magic Lantern video quality experience is the Canon EOS C700.

Canon ripped off Magic Lantern code, repackaged the 5D mark iii in a "professional" body and is taking credit for the thousands of hours of volunteer labor put into Magic Lantern.

#fakenews

Tyronetheterrible

If I were to take guess based on the writes speeds and max resolutions of the current cameras supported by ML, it would be 5D3, followed by 5D2, followed by 6D (Or possibly the 7D, as it takes CF cards and acquires faster write speeds)