Is there a way.....? Canon DSLRs...

Started by hsfpix, December 09, 2016, 10:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hsfpix

Hi Folks,
Came to ML due to frustration with Canon... :)

My requirements (I thought) were fairly simple:
1) Rig up a broken-beam trigger to video nocturnal mammals
2) Use the Cognisys Stopshot and other things to control a couple of LED light panels, and kick off a video recording for 8 seconds on a Canon DSLR. (80D)

Everything works. Beautifully. For 30 minutes.

Then the Liveview timeout kicks in, and to get back into 'Movie' mode, the Movie button must be physically pressed. Even if the shutter button is now mapped to stop/start video (This is a Canon 80D), after 30 minutes, it will only take images, not video. The Movie button has to be *physically* pressed.

I can see that the ML code enables shutter half-press stop/start of video recording, but does it override the inherent 30 minute timeout of LiveView? I am running the camera on an AC adapter, so power consumption is not an issue.

I just can't hike out into the forest every 30 minutes of every night just to press a button.... :)

Thanks for any insight
Roy.

a1ex

Half-shutter press resets the timeout, even when triggered by software.

Triggering movie recording... didn't test, but I would expect it to reset the timeout as well. The LiveView stops after 30 minutes of inactivity, or it doesn't matter whether it records or not?

hsfpix

Thanks - you are indeed correct.

A half-press does reset the timeout AND, a recording will also reset the timeout.

So sending a periodic 29 minute half-press will resolve my situation.

That being said, it is intriguing that if the camera *does* timeout, it requires a *physical* press of the Movie button. I still see no electronic equivalent, and certainly a half or full press of the shutter doesn't do it - as I said, it reverts to image mode after an expired timeout and stays there until the Movie button is pressed.

Much appreciated,

Roy.