10 bit 422 h.264

Started by ddelreal, December 01, 2016, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddelreal

So with the Panasonic GH5 announced (shipping early next year), it has been spec'd out to record 10 bit 422 internally. I believe it's in the form of h.264. Is there a way (future speaking of course) in Magic Lantern to achieve this with our Canon DSLRs?

JADURCA

Hi!

I think ML objectives are to stabilize RAW functions at this time, even more with recent findings of filming RAW at 10-bit and playing RAW files faster with the camera ML RAW player. I  think that looking for a better H.264 is not their priority, and my opinion is that if you have RAW (that makes a big difference with sharpness, resolutions, colors, levels) why you need H.264? Even Canon's H.264 with All-I option, Cinestyle profile and a good color correction (don't forget to add sharpness in the master before rendering) you have solid results.

GH5 sure is a great camera! But is not Full Frame, so, you still have better quality pixels with 5DM3, at higher ISO and a 35mm film perspective.

ItsMeLenny

ML doesn't really have any objectives as such, just whatever people are working on, the main devs usually focus on features they want.
Yes there is a lot going on with RAW. Cinestyle being good is subjective, but there is a thread going on about reverse engineering picture styles to be able to get something good going for h264.

10bit for h264 probably won't be looked at, along with mostly anything to do with h264. This is because there is a dedicated chip in the camera that creates the h264 and nothing is known about it. RAW recording is all done through the main CPU functions. If the h264 chip can be reverse engineered I'm sure it can be used for many things, particularly compression and particularly adding other h264 options (depending what the chip allows). But nothing is going to happen with it as it's basically a locked down black box in the camera.