How to "force" higher horizontal resolutions than 1920?

Started by tillkrueger, November 30, 2016, 02:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tillkrueger

If this question is not meant to be here, would you please move it? Or if I should have opened a new thread with it, my apologies in advance if so (I posted it at the end of another hugely long thread a few hours ago but will remove it from there right after I post it here...it hadn't been approved by an admin there anyway):

I am pretty new to 14bit RAW recording on my 5D3 (fw 1.2.3, ml nightly from Nov.21) but have had no luck setting my horizontal resolution above 1920 to test - even for a few seconds - the upper echelons of what's possible...I use a KomputerBay x1200 CF card, so I am hoping that at least a few seconds at 3200 might be possible (like baccinoluigi's amazing video in this thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16439.0).

But like user "ibrahim" I can't set my resolution above 1920 and don't get anywhere by pushing the zoom button, as was suggested by user "Walter Schultz".

What must I do (or change in my settings first) to be able to access the higher resolutions?

Hope someone here can help me as I am only here on Kauai for a few more days and would love to take advantage of the beautiful sights.

Aloha and mahalo, Till

Levas

Use the zoom button while in videomode and seeing liveview on your camera display.
The liveview should zoom by every push of the zoom button, 1x zoom, 5x zoom, 10 times zoom.
When in 5x zoom or 10x zoom, enter magic lantern raw video menu and you can select higher resolutions.
The 5x and 10x zoom don't give correct framing, the grayscale low resolution liveview does give proper framing

tillkrueger

thanks for the pointer, Levas...and I swear that I did that a number of times before (and after purchasing the excellent RAW Shooter's Guide and reading it front to back), but for some reason I didn't get that when you go back to fully zoomed out (1x) it will record in 1920 and nothing higher, even after setting the resolution to 3200.

but I did manage to make a recording at 5x zoom and 3200, so I now know it's working in principle, but I also now see what you meant by the crop not being accurate. How do I get to the low-res grayscale live-view?

also, if 3200 only works in 5/10x, how will I get such nice wide shots as the ones in baccinoluigi's amazing video in this thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16439.0 ? I mean, I do have the Canon 8-15mm lens, so I could shoot at 8mm, but that's not the look I am going for or which I saw in baccinoluigi's shots. I must be overlooking something, but what?

thanks again for your help!

MitchLally

I'm not a crop mode expert but according to the calculator in this thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=18326.msg175675#msg175675 3200 x 1320 recording in crop mode would actually be a 1.8x crop of the sensor. I'm guessing because you're at 3.2K that you'd be utilising more of the sensor?

Levas

Forget the gray scale preview, recently they discovered how to get accurate live view in crop mode.

In this post there is a build for the 5d3 with the crop mode module(select 1x1 in crop mode menu).
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5601.msg175774#msg175774

As a bonus it has also options for the experimentally 10 and 12 bit recording options (but if I read all the posts in this topic, I'm not sure if it works for 5d3)
Furthermore it's better not to enable the 'raw_twk.mo' module, because this one messes with the crop recording.

I have a 6d myself, so I don't have any experience with this build for the 5d3, but I think it's worth a try and remember if stuff looks weird, pull out the battery ;D

Levas

About the wide shots

baccinoluigi's shares how  he did it:

Sequence shot with 5dMK III
Canon 16-35 f/4 is
Image Resolution 3200x 1200
FPS override 23
Card spanning on
magiclantern-Nightly.2015Dec20.5D3113
Graded in DaVinci Resolve
Edited in Premire Pro CC

Like MitchLally says, 3200 pixels is 1.8 crop (so ignore the 5x/10x zoom names, the recording is far wider then the display shows)
With your 8mm, you could get 8 x 1,8 crop = 14mm wide recordings with 3200 pixels wide settings.

mothaibaphoto

Quote from: Levas on December 01, 2016, 06:20:01 PM
Forget the gray scale preview, recently they discovered how to get accurate live view in crop mode.
Unfortunately this is not true: crop_rec.mo max width is 1920 on 5D MKIII.

reddeercity

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on December 02, 2016, 07:17:54 AM
Unfortunately this is not true: crop_rec.mo max width is 1920 on 5D MKIII.
No , Sorry your incorrect 5D3 Crop mode 3520x1320 read this Re: 12-bit (and 10-bit) RAW video development discussion In Crop mode on my 5D2 I get 2152x1076 max. 

mothaibaphoto

@reddeercity:
You(as Levas did too) just confuse "crop mode" and crop_rec.mo.

reddeercity

@mothaibaphoto Sorry your right ! didn't read the full statement

Levas

Ah, so you can't use 3200 crop recording with good live view preview ?
(crop_rec.mo isn't working on the 6d, so no experience with it.)

In that case you need to use the grayscale preview.
It's in the raw menu, where you also set resolution.
Preview options -> ML grayscale

tillkrueger

sorry everyone that I didn't see any of your comments until just now...first my post still showed as not having been approved by a moderator and then I never got a notice that comments were posted to this thread (where do I enable notifications?).

ok, so I did use my 8-15mm at full wide and achieved a good amount of horizontal coverage, but have mostly focused on my timelapse shoots the past few days, so that I didn't do much more experimentation with RAW high-res movie capture...will get back to that as soon as the rains here pass through...the Kauai winter is very stormy and rainy so far this year.

and I shall try the crop mode module to see how much it helps, otherwise find the grayscale preview and use that.

finally got my gradated ND filter to get better skies and two more external drives to deal with the insane amounts of data generated by endless experiments and 10's of thousands of RAW timelapse frames...wish I had a render farm here on my desk, but much of the processing/rendering will have to wait until I'm back in Germany.

more findings and questions to follow...thanks so much, everyone!
mahalo and aloha

tillkrueger

I just found the "Notifications" preferences in my Profile settings.

dfort

@tillkrueger

Whoa--let's get you setup properly so that next time the skies clear over Kauai you'll be ready.

First of all, the 5D3.113 version is more stable so downgrade your firmware--if you dare. Pelican has all the Canon firmware versions on his website:

http://pel.hu/down/eos5d3-v113-win.zip

Next you might want to check out the latest 10bit_12bit development. You can get better performance and smaller file sizes by switching over to 10bit. Use raw_rec instead of mlv_rec -- that will give you the new MLV Lite. You'll need to squeeze out every last bit of performance if you want to work with 3k raw. I put up a test build here:

https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-10bit_12bit_raw_twk_crop_rec.2016Dec01.5D3113.zip

Mahalo and Aloha!