6D 'continuous' RAW recording stops

Started by bromus, November 27, 2016, 10:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bromus

Hi guys,
First of all I'd like to give a high five to everyone who gets in there because this is my first post here. ;)
That's it for introduction. I've searched the forum and haven't found the solution to my case.
My 6D doesn't allow me to record the RAW clip longer than ~4 minutes. It is set to 'green' settings, so the bitrate of saving the file to SD card is less than 40MB/s. It's worth saying that the card is 32 GB so there's lot of space left for longer recording.
What's the problem? Does the sensor overheat and thus camera stops the recording? Or is it just some bug?

Thanks for help!
Regards,
Arek

Walter Schulz

ML version?
MLV_REC.mo or RAW_REC.mo used?
You tried to lower resolution and/or fps to lower required bandwidth? Do you get longer recordings (= recording file sizes > 10 GB)?

Most likely you just have to use exFAT filesystem.
Insert card into cardreader, use exFAT format option.
Copy ML files to card and run installation once again.
And don't format card in cam after that or you will get FAT32 again.

Levas

If not using exfat formatting on your SD card(and enabled larger filesize exfat options within raw menu) 4GB filesize is also a limit at which recording stops.
So are your files 4GB?
If not, then probably your card just is not fast enough.
The 6d has about 250MB of buffermemory. Here it stores frames when your card isn't fast enough. If the buffer is full, recording stops and the camera writes the buffer to the card, which takes about 6 seconds. So when your camera stops recording and the red led on your camera blinks/burns for 6 seconds, your buffer is full. To prevend this choose lower resolution.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Levas on November 27, 2016, 11:33:39 PM
If not using exfat formatting on your SD card(and enabled larger filesize exfat options within raw menu) 4GB filesize is also a limit at which recording stops.
So are your files 4GB?

Have you tested this lately?
650D does not work this way. MLV_REC does handle 4 GB chunking well.
Just recorded 8:20 with FAT32 and got two 4GB files + one about 2 GB.
No other settings necessary. Just enabling MLV_REC and MLV recording.

Levas

oeps my fault, you're right, it goes on recording with a new file if FAT32 is used

bromus

I'm using Nightly.2016Nov10.6D116, guess it's the latest built for 6D.
Seems like formatting the card in exFAT is the answer. Recording doesn't stop and doesn't split the files larger than 4GB.

Thanks!