Hello from Chilliwack, British Columbia

Started by Exakta, November 14, 2016, 12:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exakta

Hello Canon fans.
My name is Gordon but my first camera in 1968 was an Exakta 2A so I thought that might be a good user name. After the Exakta I used Konica film cameras for quite a few years and when I sold my T3 motor I had 13 lenses to go with it. In those early days I had a darkroom for a while as well. I then started with Canon, an A-1 and a T90 which I still have. My first digital camera was bought in the 1990's, an Olympus C-2500L which cost $900 for a 2.5 megapixel camera. Still have that one as well. My next camera was a Fuji Finepix which was a nice light camera for general photography. Last year I decided to go back to a camera with interchangeable lenses so I bought a used Canon 50D. While watching YouTube videos on the 50D I came across videos showing the Magic Lantern firmware upgrade and thought it would be interesting to load. So now I would like to do that but am not sure what to do.
I have looked at the installation instructions but they are not very clear to me. I am going to post a note in the General Discussion section and I hope someone will help.
cheers,
Gordon

Walter Schulz

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install
If you found misleading/incomplete information there we will be happy to get your input.

Exakta

Hello Walter
It seems the YouTube videos are a bit out of date. They instruct you to download ML version 2.3, unzip the files and then copy the files with ML extension onto your CF card.
When I follow the instructions in the Wiki and download the nightly build for the 50D I get a folder titled ML, an autoexec.bin file and MLsetup.fir file. In the ML folder there are a number of other folders with various files in them. Nowhere do I see files with an ml extension.
My quandry is which folders/files to put on the CF card. This is not clearly stated. Since there are multiple warnings stating that you can brick your camera if you do things wrong I am a little hesitant to go ahead and experiment. So the question is: after I download the daily build and unzip the files which ones go onto the CF card??
Thanks for any help.
Gordon

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Exakta on November 14, 2016, 09:05:01 PM
It seems the YouTube videos are a bit out of date.

We have no authority on people putting content onto sites not maintained by us. Crappy and outdated instructions are a PITA but most of ML instruction videos (or running under such captions) are just that.

Quote from: Exakta on November 14, 2016, 09:05:01 PM
So the question is: after I download the daily build and unzip the files which ones go onto the CF card??

Copy extracted content to card.