Research exemption for consumer devices (DMCA)

Started by nikfreak, November 04, 2016, 11:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikfreak

I am not a lawyer but stumbled upon a positive (in terms of my view) article / news:

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/techftc/2016/10/dmca-security-research-exemption-consumer-devices

Some of us are located in Europe but as far as I understand, it sounds (again I am no lawyer) like devs located in U.S. could try ML on a 1D blabla now. Don't blame me for the news please.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Walter Schulz

extremelypoorfilmaker

Thanks nikfreak! That was a good read

I guess ML could be a security tool, but I would say that this scenario would hold up better on cameras like the 6D with wifi?
Well, i guess an hacker could access your camera if it had access to your computer while the camera is connected to it.. Even if it didn't have any bluetooth or wifi.

nikfreak

You guys never heard about "Paparazzi over IP" where security concerns belonging to 1DX (yes 6D also has this flaws, probably 70D, too) were discovered? So now why shouldn't ML fit then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7RjJNLnWF8

Walter Schulz

Just read your own link and try to understand the consequences.

"Second, during research, the device and computer program should operate "solely for the purpose of good-faith security research." This means, in part, that the research "must be conducted in a controlled setting designed to avoid harm to individuals or the public.""

Read as: No open discussion about bugs -> Goodbye public access to code. Goodbye Bitbucket.

In court ML acting as "security tool" will melt like a snowball in hell. Just because of "solely" ...

"The rule defines "good-faith security research" as "accessing a computer program solely for purposes of good-faith testing, investigation and/or correction of a security flaw or vulnerability, where such activity is carried out in a controlled environment designed to avoid any harm to individuals or the public, and where the information derived from the activity is used primarily to promote the security or safety of the class of devices or machines on which the computer program operates, or those who use such devices or machines, and is not used or maintained in a manner that facilitates copyright infringement.""

Read as: ML has to stop all further development of features not implemented by Canon.

nikfreak

Ok, Walter, "solely" is an argument. Don't blame me. It was just a news or better article which made hopes for the future (for e.g. also having FCC forcing manufacturers lock down router firmware etc.)

extremelypoorfilmaker

In dreamland one could Imagine somebody developing a software as Magic Lantern for such cameras as the 1DC and release it for free, obtainable through.. Torrent sites, for example. I do not know if it is possible to trace the code behind a software back to the original developer/s but I assume that it shouldn't right?

I repeat, this elaboration it's just building castles in the air, but Theoretically there is nobody stopping a resolute individual from developing it's own version of Magic Lantern for cameras as 1DC, C100, C300 etc. and releasing it to the wild.

Liked the video you posted nikfreak by the way. :)