Italy - 3x Crop Test

Started by limey, November 03, 2016, 01:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limey

Went to Italy this past spring and wanted to use it as a test for the 3x crop. Most of this video is using the 3x crop. All hand held aside from resting camera on objects at times.

https://vimeo.com/189956119

D_Odell

Quote from: limey on November 03, 2016, 01:57:23 PM
Went to Italy this past spring and wanted to use it as a test for the 3x crop. Most of this video is using the 3x crop. All hand held aside from resting camera on objects at times.

https://vimeo.com/189956119
Like to see your vid correctly de-squezed. You need to de-squeze to appropriate ratio if not you like faty-look. Best!
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

PaulHarwood856

Hey limey,

Great video! If transcoding clips in the future, try using Smart Import 2: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13354.0

This will do the desqueezing automatically. If you go back to your project, try clicking scale to frame size on a clip. If not, change the height of the clips by around 1.6x. Meaning if the clips are 1600 x 540, then change 540 to 900.

Hope this helps!

- Paul Harwood

cmccullum

limey

Quote from: PaulHarwood856 on November 05, 2016, 04:14:00 AM
Hey limey,

Great video! If transcoding clips in the future, try using Smart Import 2: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13354.0

This will do the desqueezing automatically. If you go back to your project, try clicking scale to frame size on a clip. If not, change the height of the clips by around 1.6x. Meaning if the clips are 1600 x 540, then change 540 to 900.

Hope this helps!

- Paul Harwood

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Is the 3x crop supposed to be desqueezed? Was that the intention?

Otherwise you lose some material at the ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

budafilms

Bellisimo laboro! Forze Italia!

I colori sono stupendi!

PaulHarwood856

Hey limey,

You're welcome. There isn't any squeezing that should be going on for 3x crop. But for 48 fps override or 60 fps in raw video, desqueezing is necessary. Hope this helps!

- Paul Harwood

PaulHarwood856

Hey limey,

You can also replace your video on Vimeo with an unsqueezed version. Youtube does not have this option.

- Paul Harwood

DeafEyeJedi

and thus the reason why I use Vimeo. The luxury to replace footage without hesitation is nice!

btw really nice colors of Italy ... makes me want to go back as I haven't been there since 2001.

Thanks for sharing @limey and looking forward to your unsqueezed version as I know it will still look great!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

PaulHarwood856

True that DeafEyeJedi! I love Vimeo's quality and community! I'm looking forward to seeing the new version of Italy as well limey. If you have any questions, or are stuck, please don't hesitate to post here on the forum.

- Paul Harwood

limey

Will give it a shot. Side note. I just recently shot a video in Mexico with the A7S II and I gotta say that I wish I shot it in ML Raw. It just looks better imo than the 8bit raw Sony puts out.

PaulHarwood856

Hey limey,

Ok cool. Yeah I keep watching Sony and Panasonic mirrorless videos, but am not sold on the aesthetics. The skin tones seem to grade bad, and the Teal and Orange look is all over Youtube with mirrorless videos. I don't mind the look, but people grade the footage so aggressively that it doesn't look good in my opinion. Raw is a tough workflow even if when I feel I've gotten it down to easiest setup. MLVFS, Cinelog C, The Smart Import 2 script for After Effects, and the consistent dedication of Magic Lantern makes this so worthwhile. It takes time, but it looks just right to me. A painting takes time too, you know? The colors, the skin tones, the flexibility, the more pleasing ISOs than H.264, I can go on and on about how I love 14bit raw video. I've been upscaling all my Web Exports to 4K, and I'm pretty happy with the results, especially on Vimeo. I look forward to seeing your video!

- Paul Harwood

limey

Just a little bit more context to this video - since it was shot in Spring 2016 and I've done so much "work" related editing since then I didn't really remember details.

I graded in Resolve all the clips - I said above I might have used Lumetri - It was Resolve for sure. Recently for other stuff I've been using Lumetri which was my confusion.

PaulHarwood856

Hey limey,

I understand, editing can get confusing with so many projects at one time  :)

- Paul Harwood

limey

If I scale up the clips in premiere to say 164....is that not the same as using the after effects script to desqueeze?

PaulHarwood856

Hey limey,

It should work, with just scaling the height to around 1.6. I would try to use the original project, and not re-exporting from the original video uploaded, since quality will be lost.

- Paul Harwood

limey

Ok I'll scale up in premiere - which I started this morning before usual distractions took over.

PaulHarwood856

Hey limey,

Ok cool sounds good. I think you'll be really happy with desqueezing the footage. Let me know if you have any trouble, I'll be glad to help.

- Paul Harwood

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: PaulHarwood856 on November 08, 2016, 06:57:22 AM
I think you'll be really happy with desqueezing the footage.

Oh big time!

PaulHarwood856

limey

PaulHarwood856

Hey limey,

Looks great! Awesome job!

- Paul Harwood

limey

Thanks for the help. Some other context to the video. Lens was my beaten up tamron 24-70, and I  graded all the clips individually in resolve.

DeafEyeJedi

Definitely much better however if you don't mind me asking how exactly did you do the desqueezing process in Post? Did you do everything with a 1.67x? If so, I notice some (not all) were a bit stretched too much. Overall it looked fabulous other than these few shots.

Could that be due to shooting in different aspect ratios during the entire stay in Italy? I know it can be rather difficult to keep track of what we shot in and whatnot. Thanks for sharing once again @limey!

PaulHarwood856

Hey limey,

Good to know! I use the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC on the 7D and love it. Very cinematic glass that's for sure.

- Paul Harwood