Audio Files Longer than Related Video Files

Started by 66dellwood, October 25, 2016, 07:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66dellwood

Have only recently started to enable audio recording with ML.  For reasons I cannot determine, my ML audio files are slightly longer than the related video file when I bring those clips into DaVinci Resolve.

Canon 5d2.  I use MLVProducer to convert the MLV files with audio to CDNG and wav audio.  FPS override was ON and set to 23.976 in the ML menu (I suspect this could be an issue).  Canon menu set to 24 fps.

After I import the converted video and audio into DaVinci Resolve, the video and audio clips are not linked when I load them into a timeline.  I have to separately add the video and audio files to the timeline.  When I do so, the audio clip is always slightly longer than the video clip.   Most often the audio and video is synced (although the audio clip is longer); sometimes the audio is out of sync.

Just noticed this in the ML user manual under FPS Override:

"Sound Record: by default, ML will disable sound recording when FPS override is enabled; otherwise, audio will go out of sync and recording will stop. Only enable sound if you know what you are doing."   I must confess, am not sure how FPS override should be used.

dmilligan

MLVFS automatically trims the audio to match the video length, and adds all the necessary metadata to the audio files to make automatic syncing work in Resolve (I think maybe raw2cdng does too). You might report this issue to AWPStar, the maintainer of MLP in the MLP thread. He should refer to the wav.c source code in MLVFS for how to make syncing work in Resolve for his app.

Danne

I already did this in an extensive mail about a year ago to the programmer.
*clearance on above answer.
AWPStar runs MLVProducer(audio does not embed)
Danne runs MLP(audio embeds fine in resolve)

66dellwood

Thank guys!  On the assumption that this is an issue for MLVProducer, suggest that the conversation move to this thread:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=18065.0