ML Analog Gain Setting when Using and External PreAmp

Started by 66dellwood, October 24, 2016, 12:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66dellwood

I use a BeachTek preamp to get better audio quality from my Canon 5D2.   I set to Manual recording in the Canon menu (not AGC) and set the recording level just a notch or two above the lowest level (so the preamp does the work).

Am a little unclear what the Magic Lantern Analog Gain setting is doing.   And how to set it when using the BeachTek.

Is it bypassing the Canon recording level?

Should I be setting it to 10dB or 0 when using an external preamp?

dfort

Wasn't Analog Gain removed a while ago? I believe it was just another way of adjusting the record level.

According to the user guide for version 2.3: http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#analog_gain_db

Analog Gain (dB)

Gain applied to both inputs in the analog domain. If you use an external preamp, set this parameter as low as possible; otherwise, set it as high as possible without clipping (audio meters should be green).

L-DigitalGain and R-DigitalGain (dB)

Digital gain applied to left and right channel. Recommended setting: 0.

66dellwood

Dfort, thanks much.  I still see analog gain at the top of my audio tab.  I missed that note in the manual.  Makes sense when using a preamp.

Curious how the gain setting in the ML menu interacts with the recording level setting in the main Canon menu.  From use, ML setting seems to override the Canon setting.

markanini

ML Audio settings override Canon settings. You probably want to keep analog gain in the camera at minimum and raise external preamp gain until the signal stays just below 0dB.
Gear: Canon 600D & Magic Lantern Nightly.

66dellwood

Mark:  thanks much.  Just what I hoped.  But ML only let you go down to 10dB.   I assume the 0dB level will cut off the signal entirely.

markanini

That's incorrect. 0dB is the baseline level, the others are amplification factors.
Gear: Canon 600D & Magic Lantern Nightly.

66dellwood

so 0dB may be a useful setting when using a preamp?