How to mirror Canon 5D II LCD screen with a Atoms Ninja 2 screen

Started by Tadpole, October 21, 2016, 07:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tadpole

Firstly, hello I'm new here and I'm considering using magic lantern but will it mirror my Canon 5D II LCD screen with a Atoms Ninja 2 screen so that I can use my Zacuto viewfinder when recording via the HDMI and the Atomos Ninja 2

Tadpole

reddeercity

Short answer No .
If you have a zacuto evf snap pass though HDMI to recorder
Then use the zacuto view finder on evf . This is my setup
On my 5D Mark ii +magic lantern installed with zacuto evf snap
And view finder pass though to ninja HDMI recorder .

Tadpole

I'm not totally clear what you are saying, I should have mentioned that the Zacuto is a z finder.

reddeercity

Yes I understand you have a zacuto z finder .
Ok i'll try and clear things up , first as I posted the 5d2 does not have the option to mirror the display 5d3 is the only eos camera that can.
That being said you have a Ninja2 hdmi recorder and as you know when plugged in you loose the LCD display from the camera .
So the question is how would you use the z finder with the ninja 2 & 5d2 you couldn't ! will not at the same time .
My solution ,  being I have a 5D Mark ii also and a atomos ninja (first version) + Zacuto Z finder Pro3x.

My Run & Gun Set up , 5D Mark ii + Zacuto Z finder Pro 3x

I use to focus with z finder then plug in the hdmi then record but that was a big pain . so my work around was to buy
a Zacuto EVF Snap (lucky for me my video gear rental house had a demo on sale) which has pass though hdmi that goes to
the ninja recorder for backup etc... .

Zacuto EVF Snap

Photo of my rig in studio configuration
This is not a very cheap work around but it was the best solution that's rock solid .

5D Mark2 Studio Rig
by RedDeerCityTV, on Flickr

As you can see the Z finder snap to the front of the EVF for focusing .

The only other way with the ninja 2 (because of the hdmi pass though) is to connect the ninja first then pass though to a HDMI Monitor but unless it's
an Zacuto Evf snap or flip you still can't use the Z finder . At that point unless you need a director's monitor then just use the ninja for focusing etc... .

Tadpole

Thanks Reddeercity, that makes sense be it  a little frustrating, I will look at the EVF option.

Tadpole

dfort

Wow, that's some rig you got there @reddeercity

Since you're using an external recorder I wonder what the quality difference would be between various cameras. Not that I'm going to pimp out an EOSM like that but just curious.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: dfort on October 23, 2016, 06:36:26 PM

Agreed. It's definitely one gnarly rig, right?  8)

Since you're using an external recorder I wonder what the quality difference would be between various cameras. Not that I'm going to pimp out an EOSM like that but just curious.

Great idea actually.. I'd be interested to try this out with an external recorder that I have especially for the M. Thoughts on this?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

reddeercity

@Tadpole your welcome , yes I know . If you have any problem with this either post on the forum as I usually check once a day or PM me .
Just a note on the Zacuto Evf , the Snap is a lot less expensive then the Flip , and to hold the z finder in place Zacuto has
a rubber band kit called Z-Bands depending on model of z finder. Plus for a stand off
I would also recommend from Zacuto  EVF Standard Mount but there any Articulating arm well do .

@dfort Thanks  :D , The very first thing I bought after my 5D2 of course was a z finder , actually the reason I bought this first was
when Phillip Bloom was in his hay day with the 5D2 in 2010 I when to one of his paid lecture/talk in Calgary Alberta . (Go Flames Go if you follow NHL, Canada's game  8))
anyways this was right after he had visited George Lucas's Ranch and did a time-lapse/Video there  Pretty good stuff and right before the zacuto dslr challenge video's
This was his number one recommendation for accessory  .Then I bought my redrock micro rig , matte box , 4x3 ND filter's etc..... .
Just when I though I would have to upgade my camera I was very close to buying a 1DC (maybe I should have)  ::) But then Magic Lantern Raw Video Came in to being 2013 then I got my Atomas Ninja ,  Sorry to go off topic.

Since you're using an external recorder I wonder what the quality difference would be between various cameras just curious.

Really there should be none  let me explain first the hdmi signal fellow the 1.3 version standard 8bit 1080 60i 24p 3-2 pulldown embedded YCbCr 4:2:2 chroma subsampling
Uncompressed stream (1.5Gb/s - 180 MB/s) if my math right . And if I understand the ML code the liveView comes from the YUV 422 buffer I think and
of course Picture Style play a big part , as what every the LV display is set to is what get recorded not like raw . If you use any Log PS then the uncompressed will reflect that
to what ever you compress it to . Now some recorder's can do a internal 3-2 pulldown (reverse telecine) to get the 24p I think the ninja2 and up models if not then
you need to do it manual in Apple compressor or other apps like that.

Once again @DeafEyeJedi thank you !
The hdmi quality on the "M" should be the same as yuv422 buffer in other camera I would suspect , maybe because the sensor has small photocell 
or less Mega pixel 18 compared to 22 & 23 for 5d2 & 5d3 or higher noise floor . I find that if you save it as prores442HQ that would be the best or if you can
record to uncompressed DPX that would be much better of course . With that you get a 8 - 10bit dithing so not real 10bit more like 9bit if there such a thing.