Pre-defined schedule of shoots (solar eclipse time-lapse)

Started by dan_i197, September 23, 2016, 12:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan_i197

Hi,

For time-lapse work, and in particular for shooting a solar eclipse, the following feature would be very helpful :

Programming a finite sequence of shoots of arbitrary length with, for each of them, a given time (precision ~ second) and a given shutter speed (which could be different from one shoot to another).

The differences with a standard intervallometer are that :
- instead of a fixed interval between the shoots, the user give the actual time for each of them
- the shutter speed is chosen invidually in advance for each shoot

thanks !

Dan

dmilligan

a1ex

dmilligan

Based on my understanding of the OP, he wants to specify the exact time the shot is taken which is not possible with advanced intervalometer.

dan_i197

Hi,

Thanks for your answers. Indeed advanced intervalometer won't do the job (as I need to specifiy exact time & exposure invidually for each shot).

I didn't know that it was possible with a Lua script, I'll try to do that (and post it as it can be useful for other people next summer)

Dan

SpcCb

The hard stuff could be to know the exact time (with second accuracy, maybe with a fraction of second for Baily's Beads) of events in function of the equally precise observer location. I'm not sure that any software is accurate enough, maybe you should have to compute it from the polynomial besselian Elements of the eclipse.

Maybe a best (easier and safe) way will be to pre-program group sequences for the different events with specific parameters (TV/AV/ISO) and run them manually when events start (?). Because with an all pre-program job if something is going wrong you could miss precious moments, or all, and during a Solar eclipse there're always unpredictable things, even if you are very well prepared and trained.