ATOMOS NINJA STAR WITH CANON 6D

Started by areito5, August 29, 2016, 10:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

areito5

HI.
Can I use ML to get a Clean HDMI OUTPUT  to use the ATOMOS NINJA STAR, and if yes, How??
Thanks
Frank
Bronx NYC

Kharak

No, only 5d mk iii firmware version 1.2.3 has clean hdmi out
once you go raw you never go back

areito5

Thanks for taking the time to replied. I was told by a friend that It can be done using ML.

reddeercity

@Kharak,  Not true most if not all have Clean HDMI , you just need to kill the Overlays.
I do this with my 5D2 & I know 7D etc.. can also,  I Use my Ninja HDMI recorder with
Raw video for backup on a lot of project.

@ areito5, To kill overlay go in to ML menu under display tab.
I made a tutorial Feb 19, 2014 so it a little dated but at 5:20 mark I show how to clear overlay
for clean HDMI with Ninja recorder

Kharak

Thanks for the correction reddeer, I never used an external recorder with my 5d2.

Does the hdmi om the 5d2 also output 422?
once you go raw you never go back

reddeercity

@Kharak Yes , the spec is ntsc 4.2.2 8bit 60i with embedded 24p stream uncompressed (1.5Gb/s or 187.5 MB/s) I checked the signal with my AJA Kona LHi capture card .
So as far as I know it only works with ntsc not pal , I tried it once to do a 50i Pal with 25p raw video but the HDMI seems to be in ntsc and locked up my camera .
I'm in Canada so I use ntsc anyways , It's just a FYI .

Nice thing about uncompressed 60i you have a secondary video stream 23.976p , so I just do a reverse telecine/3-2 pulldown in apple compressor
the only draw back with 5d2 is the hdmi is 1650x1080 but scales very well ! I can't really tell when I cropped and scaled up to 1920x960 .
I use 2:1 A.R.  in Raw/MLV 1872x936 @ 23.976. If nothing else you have instant Proxies for your raw  :D
and it's far better in reviewing what you just shot with having to try and view your raw files on the back LCD screen in low res b/w quality.

Oh yea and now picture style come back in to effect , as you know it dose not effect Raw/MLV Video but liveview it doses , so I use neutral Pic. Style ,
which is a nice low saturation sRGB/rec709 image which can be graded it needed or the great technicolor cinestyle for heaver grade work .
Even thou it's 8bit that uncompressed stream have fair but of latitude capture to 10bit Prores 422HQ
the dithering from 8 to 10 bit the big differences .

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: reddeercity on August 31, 2016, 06:36:34 AM
If nothing else you have instant Proxies for your raw  :D
and it's far better in reviewing what you just shot with having to try and view your raw files on the back LCD screen in low res b/w quality.

Oh yea and now picture style come back in to effect , as you know it dose not effect Raw/MLV Video but liveview it doses , so I use neutral Pic. Style, which is a nice low saturation sRGB/rec709 image which can be graded it needed or the great technicolor cinestyle for heaver grade work .
Even thou it's 8bit that uncompressed stream have fair but of latitude capture to 10bit Prores 422HQ
the dithering from 8 to 10 bit the big differences .

+1 and the very reason why I use my Shogun on certain gig's when necessary. Good thing @dfort & @Danne got the ball rolling on this.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dfort

One gotcha with the Ninja Star--it doesn't have a monitor. When you hook up a camera to HDMI doesn't the live view screen blank out on every model except the 5D3?

Lars Steenhoff

If the record trigger over hdmi would work in RAW then this would be perfect

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on September 10, 2016, 12:27:00 AM
If the record trigger over hdmi would work in RAW then this would be perfect

+1
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109