A France Videotape - 5D2

Started by ilia3101, August 26, 2016, 03:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilia3101

Who else loves the word videotape? I'm obsessed with it

I haven't done much video related things for over a year, but now that I got a 5D Mark II this year I really want to get back in to it. This is the first "proper" thing I've made for ages.
Shot in RAW of course

Lenses: Helios 44, Mir 1, Jupiter 9, Takumar 135mm and Cosina 19-35

Or on Youtube:

Thanks

_OLLE_

5D2 is pretty sick actually! Can you tell us a bit about your grading process?

ilia3101

Thank you for taking the time to reply :) My grading process isn't efficient and takes ages as I don't know all the Magic Lantern techniques, but it goes like this: I import the clips in to After Effects one by one, adjusting them all in Camera RAW to how I like, lots of vibrance/saturation and highlight/shadow adjusting, also I avoid the contrast slider as it seems to cause flickering in a lot of cases, so I find the curves is better for adding contrast. Another thing I find important in Camera RAW to achieve a sharper image is to set the radius of the sharpening to 0.5 so that sharpening is on a smaller scale, making details look smaller, therefore giving the image a sharper look and within After Effects I scale the image to 2.5k, maybe not necessary but useful for online uploading. After I've exported the clips and am editing them in Final Cut I add Filmconvert as a final step, using the GH2 Nostalgic profile and usually the standard "Kodak" preset, then turn the colour effect and the grain down to about 50%.
That's it, the post took ages on this video.

Simonwb

Don't think videotape ever looked that good!  Some beautifully vibrant, crisp images you've got there, well done.
5D3.123 | 5D4 | C100ii | 16-35 f4 | 24-105 f4ii | 70-200 f2.8ii | 50 f1.2 | 100 f2.8 | Samyang 16, 24, 35, 50, 85, 135

Deadcode

Congratulation's Ilia this short film is lovely.
I have read under the video, that you used an SD to CF adapter.
How much recording time did you have in one take (my tip 7-8 sec @ 1728x972), and what resolution did you used while SD card was on duty?

I only found very few sites which tested these adapters, and their conclusion was all of them are UDMA I with 22MB/s speed limit.
What is your experience?

ilia3101

@Simonwb Ha ha only my videotapes! Thank you for the kind words

@Deadcode Thanks. The adapter was a Komputerbay, and it actually got 24.0MB/s read and 23.1MB/s write speed with the quick benchmark, although it stayed under 22 while recording, the SD cards I used were Sandisk Extreme(not PRO) 45MB/s U1 left over from my GH2 days, a 16GB and a 64GB. I used the same max 16:9 resolution of 1856x1044 while the SD cards were on duty, so that gave me 135 to 138 frames, almost 6 seconds per take. I tested with a resolution of 1728x972, that gave around 167 frames, almost 7 seconds.