Taking a live music performance to the next level with 5Diii raw

Started by QuickHitRecord, August 25, 2016, 12:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuickHitRecord

https://www.youtube.com/embed/el3uVb5Mgko

Shot with an Olympus 35-70mm f/3.6 with all natural light and a few modifiers. Graded in Resolve 11.3.

Let me know what you think.
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

DeafEyeJedi

Seriously that piece of glass just literally took your 5D3's sensor to a whole new level that probably hasn't been achieved (at least to me) yet and the good old 4:3 look gives us a great feel of what Magic Lantern would have been like shot on film back then. Ha!

Nothing beats natural lighting (you didn't use any bouncers?) and did you by any chance use ETTR? Also care to share your workflow in Resolve?

Also did you use a log to start off with?  The warmth on skin tones mixed with the wonderful grade that brings peace and love was precisely spot on!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful artwork @QuickHitRecord and of course the music sounded great as well!

Btw don't forget to check out @a1ex's recent work with the updates to his crop_rec build for 5D3.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

QuickHitRecord

@DeafEyeJedi

Thanks. You are too kind. The 35-70mm is the only parfocal lens I have, so it was the obvious choice for this.

I had a big 5x7 diffuser offscreen, and a reflector on the other side. I didn't really use ETTR on this one. I exposed for the skintones and blew out the cloudless sky, but grabbed a reference shot and was able to add color detail back in post. I used MLVFS and tried a few CineLog transformations but liked what I was getting manually with BMDFilm 4K as a starting point more. I added FilmConvert into the mix at the end (just color, not curves).

It's all one big, fun learning process!

I've been following the crop_rec development and I'm very intrigued, but I'm usually a pretty late adopter on these things.
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)