Canon 5D Mark IV

Started by SiSS, August 11, 2016, 11:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddeercity

Had a chance today to check out the 5D Mark IV at my local camera shop shot a few video clips of 4k (4096x2160 @ true24p) MJpeg 4:2:2 527mb/s
didn't have the new C-Log picture style yet , I uploaded one of the files to my google drive below is the link ,  it's 1GB so feel free to download it and play with it .
I didn't really focus that well so beware .

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxNY4d4Aa7KuM1daWV9FUXdpdnM/view?usp=sharing

I recorded it on one of my CF card that has ML on it from my 5D2

AOK

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 12, 2017, 08:09:23 PM
And Digic 6 is around us since 2014, November (7D2) and a generous offer (750D for free) for anyone willing to port a 750D is still open. Only lately we saw substantial progress: Bootflags for Digic 6 cams. 
So: What do you expect? If you have any ideas we all will listen ...
So if I understand you correctly - the issue is that the Digic 6 (5D4 is 6+, which I hope wouldn't be that different, or?) is still not reversed? Even after 3 years? :-( How unfortunate! This is really unpleasant. And canon's firmware is so not nice as yours.... :/

NeoUnleashed

Hey,
i'm gonna have the Mark IV in the mid of december for a shooting and i wanted to ask the coder for the actual status?
I've never used ML for special Video codec tweaks etc. However, i never got really used to the Canon Menu, instead
i love to set the Aperture, ISO etc. manually per ML menu (sounds weird, but that's how it is :D). The only 'plugins'
i use from ML are: Intervalometer, MagicZoom and DualISO. So is it possible that a beta version of ML for Mark IV
will be ready until December only with these core functions? As i said i don't need all these video codec stuff, so
maybe other features already working, but aren't released because the coders waiting to finish the "full ML"?
Would love to hear from your information and predictions! :)

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Download nightly builds -> Scroll down to "Your cam is not listed?"

Trying to adjust reality check: Devs haven't found out how to run ML code with Canon firmware on Digic 6 cams. Not a single line. Not even "Hello, World" written to screen. Zilch! So don't hold your breath and read my advice: If there is no ML for your cam act like there will be no ML for this cam ever.

AOK

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 16, 2017, 02:18:06 PMSo don't hold your breath and read my advice: If there is no ML for your cam act like there will be no ML for this cam ever.
So are you suggesting that the ML is slowly but surely dying?

Walter Schulz

No, that's your interpretation. I'm suggesting if there is no ML for his cam he should act like there will be no ML for this cam ever.

AOK

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 22, 2017, 07:31:14 PM
No, that's your interpretation. I'm suggesting if there is no ML for his cam he should act like there will be no ML for this cam ever.
OK. And are there any newer cameras reverse engineered then?

Danne

legreve

I really don't see log as something incredible and amazing in the 5D4... can't really see why it's called log anyways.

When I compare my FS7 logged footage to my 5D4 logged footage, they are vastly different. The log footage on the 5D4 almost goes from black to highlight in a waveform.

Thankfully I got the log upgrade for free, so no harm done. But I would LOVE to see a ML Raw edition of the 5D4 camera. That would be amazing, and doesn't even have to be 4k.

dfort

Quote from: legreve on November 13, 2017, 07:36:55 PM
can't really see why it's called log anyways.

It's log, it's log,
It's big, it's heavy, it's wood.

Seriously, it is short for logarithmic curve. Here's an article that simplifies log vs. raw. Technically all "photo styles" use some variation of a log curve but the "log" like in S-Log, V-Log, etc. are technical curves to get the most information possible out of the sensor without having to save the raw data. You need to be very careful with exposure and white balance when shooting log but I'm sure you already know that.

mariosk9gr

As an owner of a 5D4 I was waiting impatient to see ml raw support on my camera.Unfortunately this is not going to happen as it seems.
I had a 5D3 before and I have used many times raw.Great times!
For me there is nothing anymore to hold me on this forum.Alex and the rest of the team did amazong job in the past but the technology goes beyond and there are new cameras that need imo to get ml support.I wouldn't mind to pay a good amount of money for ML support for my 5D4 and Im sure that most of us would do the same also.
I don't care for 50d, 7d, 500d updates and support... they belong to the past! Every 4 years Canon announces a new 5D, it should be the first camera to receive ML support.
Nevermind it doesn't make any difference...

Andy600

Quote from: mariosk9gr on December 14, 2017, 01:55:44 PM
As an owner of a 5D4 I was waiting impatient to see ml raw support on my camera.Unfortunately this is not going to happen as it seems.
For me there is nothing anymore to hold me on this forum.Alex and the rest of the team did amazong job in the past but the technology goes beyond and there are new cameras that need imo to get ml support.I wouldn't mind to pay a good amount of money for ML support for my 5D4 and Im sure that most of us would do the same also.
I don't care for 50d, 7d, 500d updates and support... they belong to the past! Every 4 years Canon announces a new 5D, it should be the first camera to receive ML support.

There is so much here that a1ex, other devs and forum contributors could take issue with but lets just say farewell.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

hjfilmspeed

It makes me sad how some tend to be so impatient on this forum considering all the work that is being done ..... for free. ML RAW on the 5Diii is still such an achievement. At it's price now, what other FF camera Supports 14Bit raw video at 1920x1080?
But at the same time it makes me happy that people want ML so bad. I wish I had the mentality to help code but for now I remain a humble and thankful user.

IDA_ML

I wouldn't mind to pay a good amount of money for ML support for my 5D4 and Im sure that most of us would do the same also.

No, you are wrong!  If there were more people in this world who understand that there are things that you cannot buy with money, our planet would be a much better place to live.  Magic Lantern is one of these things and this is the reason why so many people love it and why it makes them all so happy.

Farewell, mariosk9gr, and enjoy your 5D4!

a1ex

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on December 16, 2017, 05:58:20 AM
But at the same time it makes me happy that people want ML so bad.

Once they will want it badly enough to start playing with the code, I'll be here to help. Guess why there's a ROM dumper available ;)

Has any of you even noticed this?

djkraq

Despite all the advancements, just sold my Mark III yesterday.  While my Mark IV doesn't have RAW video, I just sent it in to get the C-Log upgrade.  That DPAF is just too amazing.  The type of camera movements I was able to do with the Mark IV is insane and the lowlight AF is unrivaled.  And its also true 4k 24p.  I shot a wedding and loved the colors of the Mark III in RAW video more than the 4, but the Mark IV video was so much sharper.  Also, the noise handling with the Mark IV was WAY better than my Mark III.  With C-Log and DPAF, I don't see why they don't try developing more for that camera.  And I'd contribute if a kickstarter or Patreon were started for it.

Walter Schulz

You are not getting it, djkraq.
Right now there are no developers willing/able to work on 5D4 and crowdfunding won't help a bit. If payment is involved some devs have told to drop from the project alltogether.
Therefore you will be killing the very thing you want to flourish.

djkraq

Quote from: Walter Schulz on December 16, 2017, 03:48:40 PM
You are not getting it, djkraq.
Right now there are no developers willing/able to work on 5D4 and crowdfunding won't help a bit. If payment is involved some devs have told to drop from the project alltogether.
Therefore you will be killing the very thing you want to flourish.

Walter, much respect to you and everything that you have done to support ML.  The crowfunding part was a very small portion of my argument.  I understand the problems and frustrations that comes with coding and I understand why money won't solve the problem.  The solution that I am trying to offer is this: The 5D Mark IV has a significantly better sensor, much better highlight recovery, much better shadow recovery.  If ML were put on this camera, we would basically have something of a Canon C200 ish camera.  There is much better versatility with the camera with DPAF.  I've had both cameras for a long time and after a while, I couldn't justify keeping the 5D Mark III over the Mark IV has official C-Log that can compete with RAW video (I understand how powerful RAW video is).  I sold the 5D3 to a friend and I told him I'd continue to give him support with that Cam, but IMO, the 5DIII has reached its limit.  It is better than a Ursa (not URSA Mini PRO) but the developers should really consider moving on from it or at least putting more focus into the 5D4.  I presented the Patreon as another source of income so that developers could offset their daily jobs to focus more on ML.  As I said, I know money isn't the solution, just really wish I even had time to program for it as I'm active duty military, own a multimedia company, work on music and video production.....just wish there was more that I could do to help move it along.  I've done some amazing work with ML, but right now, I just would love for the software to move forward with newer equipment. 

Walter Schulz

ML goes planned obsolescence?
Something for ML's April Fools Day 2018: Dropping 5D3 support in favour of 5D4.

Better chance coming up with a developer fluent in embedded devices (ARM architecture), C and assembler and spare time (in spades) and - cream on top - a passionate photog.

dfort

Quote from: a1ex on December 16, 2017, 12:18:11 PM
Has any of you even noticed this?

You mean this?

./run_canon_fw.sh 5D4,firmware=boot=1
[EOS] loading './5D4/ROM1.BIN' to 0xFC000000-0xFDFFFFFF
[MPU] FIXME: no MPU spells for 5D4.
[MPU] FIXME: no MPU button codes for 5D4.
Start address: 0xFC000008
Setting BOOTDISK flag to FFFFFFFF
BootLoad
CF Detect High
SLOT_A LOAD OK.
Open file for read : AUTOEXEC.BIN
File size : 0xCAA0
Now jump to AUTOEXEC.BIN!!

Ta Da!

I'm not a developer or fluent in anything but do have a passion for photography and cinematography -- and fell down the Magic Lantern rabbit hole.

myown

This means that we are able to enable the bootflag on 5D4?
LED blinking worked as well.

So we need to figure out how to jump to main Firmware?

I'm not a dev but have some very basic skills of C++...and next year i have a bit of time :-)
I would be great if someone may point me in the right direction...

Cheerio

dfort

What it means is that if you can get a firmware dump you can start the porting process in QEMU.

Quote from: myown on December 18, 2017, 12:37:18 PM
This means that we are able to enable the bootflag on 5D4?

This is QEMU setting the bootflag:

Quote from: myown on December 18, 2017, 12:37:18 PM
So we need to figure out how to jump to main Firmware?

It is already happening:

Read through the EOSM2 topic starting about here to see how that camera is being ported. It would be great to see this Canon 5D Mark IV topic change from a place to vent frustration over not having ML to collaborating on getting it working.

Note that it isn't trivial because the 5D4 uses a Digic 6+ processor and ARM Thumb2 instruction set so you can't just go searching for stubs that match the ones used the the current ports. It is more likely that ML will be working on one of the simpler Digic 6 cameras like the 80D, 750D, 760D, etc. before it happens on this beast.

djkraq

Quote from: dfort on December 18, 2017, 06:14:50 PM
What it means is that if you can get a firmware dump you can start the porting process in QEMU.

This is QEMU setting the bootflag:

It is already happening:

Read through the EOSM2 topic starting about here to see how that camera is being ported. It would be great to see this Canon 5D Mark IV topic change from a place to vent frustration over not having ML to collaborating on getting it working.

Note that it isn't trivial because the 5D4 uses a Digic 6+ processor and ARM Thumb2 instruction set so you can't just go searching for stubs that match the ones used the the current ports. It is more likely that ML will be working on one of the simpler Digic 6 cameras like the 80D, 750D, 760D, etc. before it happens on this beast.

Damn dfort!  You doing the damn thing!  You came really far really fast.  You are so right.  I should be getting my 5D Mark IV back from canon with the C-Log Upgrade hopefully this week.  Hopefully I can contribute more than venting lol.  Hell, I might even make a firmware for my 1DX Mark II lol!

AOK

A little step for the devs, a huge step for 5D4 humanity! :)))

cheshirecat

Quote from: dfort on December 18, 2017, 06:14:50 PM
Note that it isn't trivial because the 5D4 uses a Digic 6+ processor and ARM Thumb2 instruction set so you can't just go searching for stubs that match the ones used the the current ports

True but I think some stubs can be found by comparing the code.
I think I found some stubs following on from Chris Miller's work. I reckon I went about as far as I could with that though, back in July 2017.
https://bitbucket.org/johncheshire/magic-lantern-fork/commits/52b1a828a076573333d7de9f235ba9c23d8a40a1