Author Topic: Canon 80D  (Read 99638 times)

whoreable

• New to the forum
Re: Canon 80D
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2017, 06:27:56 AM »
wow, congrats with the new progress guys!

I love ML, I had it for my 50D which just finally died, not ML fault. It allowed me to do so much more, so Im hoping you guys can make that happen for the 80D here shortly! Happy holidays everyone!

Fishhy

• Just arrived
« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2017, 07:37:34 PM »
i am not really experienced with all this stuff, but i keep coming back here to check how it is going. i would like to say i appreciate what you are all doing and working to get this working. but what stage is this at. is this still early stages or is this late stages, i am happy to test if you have a working model but as long as its relatively safe.
thanks again

tobixx

• Just arrived
  • 80Dler
« Reply #177 on: October 07, 2017, 05:49:28 PM »
Oh my god! I'm so exited to read about ongoing development for the 80D! Coming from the mirror less world it feels a little bit like cutting off fingers. But with ML all the goodness will come back! Cheers to the developers! Thanks for your effort!

sombree

• New to the forum
« Reply #178 on: October 09, 2017, 08:44:02 PM »
@a1lex
I've tried building from digic6-dumper and running autoexec.bin - no succes, camera locks up. But with this change (copy-paste from CHDK; I know that it's ugly) camera continues to boot to the main firmware. Basing on this and this I've tried to dump the rom or blink the led but still no succes :/

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
« Reply #179 on: October 10, 2017, 09:22:51 AM »
Sounds promising; can you PM me a few autoexec.bin files you have experimented with, and their outcome? (in particular, the one that boots successfully and the one that attempts to blink the LED without success)

sombree

• New to the forum
« Reply #180 on: October 10, 2017, 03:01:15 PM »
Sounds promising; can you PM me a few autoexec.bin files you have experimented with, and their outcome? (in particular, the one that boots successfully and the one that attempts to blink the LED without success)

PM sent.

whoreable

• New to the forum
« Reply #181 on: October 12, 2017, 08:02:28 AM »
 :-* :-* :-*

RavingRover

• New to the forum
Shutter Count from Canon 80D - How ?
« Reply #182 on: October 26, 2017, 01:33:29 AM »
Generally ML can retrieve the shutter count from all ported cams, and is view-able via ML on cam.

Currently the ONLY method to get the 80D shutter/mirror count is to PAY $$ ($6 for winblows, $3.81 for mac - 2 diff apps), neither APT astronomy app, nor gphoto2 (linux) show it either - both free.  And no the jpeg does not show the shutter count either using a jpeg meta editor.

It appears ONLY via a usb conn and knowing specifically where the data is located, and dumping it and interpreting it correctly, is the only way to get this data.

So has anyone seen via a usb conn, some way or the place that the shutter count is stored, (maybe someone decompiling the rom dump, while trying to port ML, might have seen something like this or some hint to where ??)

TIA !

zerocool22

• New to the forum
« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2017, 01:16:18 PM »
These guys also have software for it. Maybe you can get in touch with them? Or maybe decompile their code? if that is any help at all.

http://www.spt.info/index.php/service-adjustment-software

http://www.spt.info/sptstore.php/canon-eos-80d

LesterL

• New to the forum
« Reply #184 on: November 09, 2017, 07:30:28 PM »
@a1ex
Are you still in need of an 80D for doing testing? I would be willing to donate $100 to help speed up that process. I'm sure we could find 9 more people willing to as well so you could get your hands on one. That is if you're wanting or have the time to work on it. If not, I totally understand.

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
« Reply #185 on: November 09, 2017, 11:20:21 PM »
Sorry, I'm not interested in getting another camera. If any of you has the time, skills and motivation to complete the port, you are welcome to jump in.

Will resume looking at D6 models after merging the current QEMU developments and the recent DIGIC 5 ports into mainline. Meanwhile, please remember the development tools are public - you have a ROM dumper, a way to execute your own code on the camera and a way to emulate a small part of it; feel free to try sombree's findings and keep experimenting.

LesterL

• New to the forum
« Reply #186 on: November 10, 2017, 12:14:19 AM »
I totally understand. Just wanted to facilitate if you were wanting one.

thejordanhall

• Just arrived
« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2017, 12:36:49 AM »
Hey guys,

I have a Canon 80D and would be really interested in joining the mission to get ML for the 80D. However, I don't really want to brick it as I am a student and have barely any money to buy another. How would I be able to learn about coding/programing for the 80D ML and any other advice/tips for me to get into this?

It'd be awesome to make ML a thing for the 80D by the end of the year.

Thank :)

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2017, 08:02:36 AM »
The best way to start learning, in my (biased) opinion, is to use the emulator. That way, the risk of bricking the camera drops to zero (as you will not experiment with real hardware, but with a PC-based program). Besides, the emulator shows a LOT of internals that are not obvious when running the code on the camera (at this stage, you'll most likely see a black screen and you'll wonder why it doesn't work).

Sure, at some point you will want to try the code on your camera. Having something that works in the emulator decreases the odds of getting into trouble, and during these early boot experiments, I'd say the bricking risk is fairly low - should anything go wrong, the camera will most likely not boot. Non-volatile memories with camera settings (ROM, serial flash, MPU eeprom) are updated on successful shutdown, to my knowledge. Experiments from bootloader (e.g. the "recovery" branch) should be fairly safe, as long as you are not calling things like EraseSectorOfRom.

Even if you manage to get some invalid setting written to ROM, we now understand how these things work and can look into it. Already recovered a couple of D4/5 cameras that way, soft-bricked by either our programming mistakes, or also by third party apps, on cameras that never ran ML before. Sure, we've never tried to recover a D6, so if your camera is mission-critical, don't try it.

To get the emulation further, I need two things:

- a log of MPU communication (see mpu_send/mpu_recv stubs in the dm-spy-experiments branch)
- a serial flash dump (sf_dump module)

The first one can be probably started (but not completed) from bootloader. It's a bit tricky, I've got it somewhat (not reliably) working on D4/5 a while ago, the test code is somewhere in the Linux branch (look for MPU), but can be fully tested in QEMU.

The second one will probably not work from bootloader, but I haven't tested it. Todo: try on 700D/100D/M/6D/M2 in QEMU and ask owners of these cameras to try on real hardware).

Both of those will be a lot easier after being able to start DryOS tasks alongside Canon's main firmware, but if that step keeps proving difficult, there are still things to try.

BTW, high-resolution photos of the main board are always welcome (for any camera model, not just 80D). No coding skills required for this one :D

Spakes

• New to the forum
« Reply #189 on: November 19, 2017, 07:10:14 PM »
The best way to start learning, in my (biased) opinion, is to use the emulator. That way, the risk of bricking the camera drops to zero (as you will not experiment with real hardware, but with a PC-based program). Besides, the emulator shows a LOT of internals that are not obvious when running the code on the camera (at this stage, you'll most likely see a black screen and you'll wonder why it doesn't work).

Sure, at some point you will want to try the code on your camera. Having something that works in the emulator decreases the odds of getting into trouble, and during these early boot experiments, I'd say the bricking risk is fairly low - should anything go wrong, the camera will most likely not boot. Non-volatile memories with camera settings (ROM, serial flash, MPU eeprom) are updated on successful shutdown, to my knowledge. Experiments from bootloader (e.g. the "recovery" branch) should be fairly safe, as long as you are not calling things like EraseSectorOfRom.

Even if you manage to get some invalid setting written to ROM, we now understand how these things work and can look into it. Already recovered a couple of D4/5 cameras that way, soft-bricked by either our programming mistakes, or also by third party apps, on cameras that never ran ML before. Sure, we've never tried to recover a D6, so if your camera is mission-critical, don't try it.

To get the emulation further, I need two things:

- a log of MPU communication (see mpu_send/mpu_recv stubs in the dm-spy-experiments branch)
- a serial flash dump (sf_dump module)

The first one can be probably started (but not completed) from bootloader. It's a bit tricky, I've got it somewhat (not reliably) working on D4/5 a while ago, the test code is somewhere in the Linux branch (look for MPU), but can be fully tested in QEMU.

The second one will probably not work from bootloader, but I haven't tested it. Todo: try on 700D/100D/M/6D/M2 in QEMU and ask owners of these cameras to try on real hardware).

Both of those will be a lot easier after being able to start DryOS tasks alongside Canon's main firmware, but if that step keeps proving difficult, there are still things to try.

BTW, high-resolution photos of the main board are always welcome (for any camera model, not just 80D). No coding skills required for this one :D

Hi, will VMWare mess with QEMU or it is going to be okay? I have enough power to do nice emulation (i7-6700HQ, 16 GB, GTX 1060), but don't want to mess with installation of Linux on main machine, since I wanted to get new SSD and install clover and Hackintosh with Windows (don't ask why).

UPD: Nevermind, I'll install it on Windows. Next question: where can I read about assembler and everything related to DIGIC 6 (including emulation) and what you have found except this topic? All I learned is basic C++ and Java.