Is my 7D Fried?

Started by Nutsy, July 29, 2016, 04:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nutsy

Honestly Im really worried. I was testing out magic lantern a couple months ago checking out raw 2k footage stuff... And it was fun. But then things became more unstable. Would crash more often...

Now Ive uninstalled Magic lantern, but it still really unstable in video mode. Can hardly shoot anything without the screen getting garbled up and freezing. I get err 80 and err 70 very regularly...

I even tried reinstalling 203, Im even tempted to try installing firmware 205 to see if that fixes it.

Even stranger is I even saw a buffer meter while in stock 203, has ML altered some flags that it didnt put back after uninstalling?

So yeah, has ML killed my camera? :(

Im not going to blame you guys or anything, this project is great and its clear many many people have a great time without without a hitch, have i just been really unlucky?
7D - 3D Artist and VFX/Motion Graphics Artist

ph2007

I had used ML on 550D 6D 5D2, none single of em has any issues.

would be nice if you state what steps that you did on your camera that leads to the unstable things.

even if you install ML, once you boot it without the card. its back to normal as it.
It shouldnt interference with the stock firmware.

Maybe you download a unstable 7D ML version somewhere else beside here?

Nutsy

From here, as for steps... cant really say as I was testing out ML in all sorts of ways for about a month.

I did download it from here though.

Nutsy

So this has been up for a few weeks... and no ones replied?

I had hoped for some input, as i now cant even take photos.

I guess the cpu is cooked from ML use?

Heck f i sent it to Vauxhall canon repair in London could they fix it? and if they can how much would they charge?

Please I really would like some help here...

As for mysteps... I used ML various features, raw and 2.5 d x5 crop...... the works... Lately its uninstalled since it began being unstable and now I guess the damage has been done.

Its not bricked as such, it might boot up without an error 80 sometimes. But then I might get one photo to shoot but the image would be corrupted mostly green... and the camera would then hang.

Ottoga

Your canon service centre should be able to repair it. It will likely come back with firmware 2.0.5 installed. As such you will need to revert to 2.0.3 if you wish to use ml again.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

Nutsy

Yeah ive had a quote back form fixation in london, 120+VAT + parts, how much is a digic processor going for ? 100 200 quid?
So umm 300ish quid I guess to fix my camera :/
Not happy at all. And I hate to say it. I wont test ML again. I love what you guys are trying to do but I cant afford to keep having my camera repaired because of what is most likely a bug somewhere...

nikfreak

Sad to hear your cam has issues. How can you be rest assured that ML caused your issue? Not even cosidering that it's just a hardware fault and that ML has nothing to do with it?

Did you already try another cf card?maybe reinstall Ml on a new card and prior to that reset all settings from the cam?
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Nutsy

Yeah I have tried resetting the settings, even tried pulling the cmos battery...

Tried differnt cards...

I can only take a good guess ML did it as it started happening after extensively using ML...

DeafEyeJedi

What was the shutter count on the 7D?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Nutsy

I was about to try and take a photo of the pattern on the crashed screen... But i cant even get that far now... The camera crashes moments after going into video mode with Err 80 on the top display... The main screen is just black and switched off.

Sadly I dont think its the screws...

Oh and shutter count i think was around 1000, it started making a new folder recently.

Pelican

New folder created after 10000 pictures not 1000.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down