shutter signal delay/modification

Started by slow moe, July 22, 2016, 01:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slow moe

Hi all,

I'm new here and hope that I post my question to the right place. Possibly, the feature I need already exists, but I was unable to find it using the search function and some key words. My apologies if that's the case.

In short, I would be interested in a way to fully trigger my 60D via the remote control terminal, but have the camera wait a short period in half-shutter-state before releasing the shutter.

In more detail, I would like to do the following. I have a IR sensor to build a camera trap that gives a shutter release signal when an IR beam is interrupted. This signal is transmitted to my camera (60D) via a radio transmitter (Pixel Pawn). Now, I also would like to trigger some flashes, but I can't use the same trigger signal, because camera and flashes would be out of sync that way. So I have a second radio transmitter on the camera, that triggers the flashes, using a different channel. It works, but since I need to save on battery in order to be able to deploy the trap for longer periods of time, I need to allow the camera and the flashes to go to sleep. The radio transmitter can wake the flashes, but that takes a split second. By that time the first picture is already taken, without flash illumination but with shutter sound, catching the attention of the animal, which is on its way out or looking at the camera in the second, properly exposed picture (using intervalometer function to take a few pics in quick succession). I think what would solve this problem is a function or script that makes the camera, upon an incoming shutter release signal via the remote control terminal, to go into half-shutter mode for, say, 0.5 sec, and only then release the shutter.

Is that something that could be done easily? Am I overlooking an existing way to solve this problem?
Thanks for your help! I do very much appreciate all your effort in creating and maintaining ML.

All the best,
moe

a1ex

Delaying the full shutter signal is not very easy (though not impossible either), but I think the easiest way would be to give a half-shutter signal from your triggering device, and have a Lua script monitoring the half-shutter state. Whenever the half-shutter is held pressed for 0.5 seconds, take a picture (from the Lua script).