AEB dual_iso

Started by CoolBlueDog, July 20, 2016, 01:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoolBlueDog

Hi Guys,

I'm playing around with Dual ISO and would like to know if anyone has done this experiment to enhance the dynamic range a bit more. 

From my understanding, having 2 different ISOs in essence give you 2 different gains, the s/w has to basically 'tween' the values to get the 'average/median' pixel value.  This is probably some linear/log fit.  However if one takes an 'exposure bracketed' with dual ISO enabled in ML then one is in essence taking 6 photos with various gains.  The software could then use this to make proper curve fits for the gain which would give a more accurate representation.  Also with AEB there is possibility of camera shake which could actually be used to benefit the vertical sampling issue (ie sub-sampling in the y-axis due to alternate gain settings per line ) ???

Anyway I love the dual_iso function and it really does improve things from what I can see so far.  I would love to hear your thoughts on AEB dual_iso.

Keep up the good work.  It is really appreciated out here in the real world !! :-)

Audionut

There's two things happening, the shooting of the data, and the processing of the data.

Dual ISO isn't a free lunch, it has some drawbacks.  If you can take multiple exposures without dual ISO, then just do that.

NickZee

When the conditions are extreme enough, I use both.  Dual ISO and AEB.  I use both ML AEB and Canon AEB (not at the same time. just depends if i need more then 7AEB).  The Canon AEB is a little faster.  I've found that a dual ISO setting of +2EV, and a 3AEB or 5AEB bracket (with 2 stop jump ) is nothing short of amazing.  Sometimes I'll overlap the EV range with a AEB setting of 1EV.  Not sure if I'm gaining anything by doing this, but I do it for safety (make sure I get all the light data).

The detail, dynamic range, and editing capabilities are off the charts.  Never seen anything like it.

Here is a preview of a 7AEB with dualISO.

AEB: 1/3200, 1/1600, 1/800, 1/400, 1/200, 1/100 & 1/50.
DISO: ISO 100 w/ +2EV.  (which I think was iso 400)

Not sure how exactly to calculate the EV range here, but it's a lot. 

Impressive ML!
Architectural Photography
NickZimmerman.com
5D MK3 & 600D | 24-70mm USMII L 2.8 | Nikon 14-24mm 2.8 | Nikon Nikkor 24mm 2.8 AIS & 50mm 1.4 AIS ** Windows 8.1 Pro | 32GB Ram | i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz