5dmII FPS override question

Started by sdeming, July 28, 2012, 09:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdeming

After getting Magic Lantern on my 5dmII, I was searching for HDR video examples and came across this test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOST5270fS4&feature=related

I'm looking to understand the FPS control better. I've read the manual on this, but it appears that you can achieve 24fps HDR footage   (so filmic!) I'm guessing the footage needs to be shot in 48fps and then converted to 24fps. However when I film in that mode, the footage is (of course) imported as 23.976 footage. This whole process is a bit perplexing to me. Is there any resources or anything anyone can do help me understand this amazing feature more?

thanks in advance!

Francis

The footage would have to be conformed to a different framerate. How you do that depends on your software workflow. Using FCP7, you would use Cinema Tools for example. But I am confused b/c I did not think you can record at any framerate above ~30fps with the 5d2.

a1ex

To get 24fps in the final result you need to record at 24fps setting and then interpolate half of the frames.

Our avisynth workflow (linked in the user guide) does this. If I'm not mistaken, Luke used that one for the example you have found.

sdeming

a1ex, okay that makes a lot of sense. The interpolation between his frames looked so good, I wasn't sure if it was actually that. Thanks so much for all of your help this weekend sir.