Premiere to After Effects for color grading

Started by dfort, July 10, 2016, 01:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfort

Hi fellow Magic Lanterners. I'm working on a short film shot on a 5D3 and standard 1920x1080 MLV. I created proxy files using Danne's MLP. After editing the ProRes proxy files in Premiere I thought I'd try doing the color grading in After Effects linking back to the DNG files. Why AE instead of DaVinci Resolve? Partially because I'm more familiar with AE and also because I'm doing some effects work that I'm more comfortable doing in AE. Anyway--everything was going fine following this tutorial:

Except that after interpreting the footage from 30 to 23.976 it was off a frame or so between the QuickTime file from the Premiere timeline to the DNG image sequence. I'd really like to get this working properly.

By the way, I started out going from MLV to DNG then to a log ProRes file and do the LUT, look and color grading thing on the log ProRes but that seemed to lose far more detail and limits what you can do compared to working with the DNG files.

Here's what my ProRes file looks like -- not much I can do with it before it starts falling apart.

From the DNG I brightened it up, pulled out some blue in the window softened it up and added grain all in ACR.

Again from the DNG, a grittier look also in ACR.