Zebra stripes showing in recorded footage!

Started by JamesH, June 13, 2016, 02:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesH

Hey guys I just shot some footage and there is zebra stripes on my actual footage!
I am shooting with 70d, 1280/544. I looked for something similar on the forums first but couldn't find anything. This is my first post please correct me if I did anything wrong!

Here is the footage. it happened on all the clips that night.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1ykoLqbY_AlRkVGWlBsOFBRaHc

MarkusAedo

Crazy. Never seen that before. I've never shot on a 70D though. I've had funky things happen without magic lantern when I record to an external device. Was this just baked in camera?

reddeercity

Yea I seen that before , Hi-Light are being clipped you can see it in all the blown out hi-lights ,  tail lights or any over exposed light.
You need to modify your exposure technique , faster lens , Var ND , etc....  with Raw you get about 9-10 stops of light that's usable .
Low light camera are 5D3 , 6D & 5D2 these will yield in the 11-12+ Stops of light range  in a log color space.
Or you can use the HDR function (best results are at 50 & 60p as it  halves the frame rate) or Dual ISO but not sure if it's working on the 70d.

you could try a different extractor app , as we don't know your workflow.
If you use MLVFS you are using the latest up to date app ,
Are you using Adobe ACR A.E. or L.R. to make video files  ?

JamesH

Never got an email saying you guys responded and just decided to pick my 70d back up and try it out again, same problem occuring. I am using MLViewer to extract them to .mov files. I could try the HDR function, Im not too knowledgable on HDR settings yet. I have been using an Atomos but never got into that setting, which is probably hindering my video quality for some shots Im sure.

Thats great info about the stops,  thank you. If I left out any information let me know.

a1ex

JamesH

here you can see it at the start on the tap of the sink where the reflection was too bright. I was just testing the quality this morning so this is just a quick shot I took not looking for the zebras.  By the way I do not have zebras even turned on to monitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4y0s_bg44&feature=youtu.be

a1ex

DNG?

Probably one of the columns saturates at a lower level; to fix existing footage, try decreasing the white level.

JamesH

its prores actually. I will try to lower the highlights and see what happens thanks

edit, I will try to reduce whites.

a1ex

Quote from: JamesH on June 13, 2016, 02:05:05 PM
I am shooting with 70d, 1280/544.

Quote from: JamesH on December 02, 2016, 08:14:29 AM
I am using MLViewer to extract them to .mov files.

These suggest you were using raw video, and now you say "its prores". Are you talking about the source video? Checksum mismatch.

If you were recording H.264 or from HDMI out, check ML digital ISO. If that doesn't help, check the Modified settings tab, restore ML to defaults, or try to reproduce the issue without ML.

JamesH

I was recording RAW then converted to prores with ML Viewer.
I actually got those results from the old firmware ML 1.1.1

then re installed 1.1.2 with new ML and still got the same problem. so they were restored to defaults. I will check the digital ISO anyways. The issue doesnt happen when recording h.264, only MLV RAW recording.

a1ex

DNG please.

Also check whether intermediate ISOs affect the raw stream (they shouldn't).