2.5k Crop Mode Dual ISO Continuous Shooting Discovery!?

Started by kidfob, June 08, 2016, 07:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidfob

Forgive me if this is already public knowledge, but I believe I may have found a solution to a problem that has been bugging me for quite some time.

Until now, I had not been able to shoot in crop mode at 2.5k (2560x1090) Dual ISO for longer than 30-40 seconds. I would always get the frame skipped error after that time.

Today, however, I stumbled across a setting that lets me shoot continuously (as long as Im using fast enough cards with spanning turned on):

The bottleneck apparently lies with the histogram setting. Switching it to off apparently removes enough processor overhead or card throughput (or both?) to shoot continuously:
Before

After

I eventually get a green icon. I dont think I've ever seen that before at this resolution. Especially with dual iso:

Thoughts? Anyone else experience this or is this a "new thing"?

Sidebar: Is 53 degrees Celsius a bad thing?

Here are the rest of my settings:

kidfob

Yes 5D3. important info there. sorry i forgot to mention it. Anybody able to replicate my findings?

dmilligan

Quote from: kidfob on June 08, 2016, 07:19:04 AM
The bottleneck apparently lies with the histogram setting. Switching it to off apparently removes enough processor overhead or card throughput (or both?) to shoot continuously:
Yes, this result is to be expected. The more CPU intensive stuff you disable, the better write speed performance you should see (this is why benchmarks are recommended to be run in PLAY mode, in which Canon tasks use the least amount of CPU).  It's not just histogram, but any CPU intensive overlays. You can set 'Global Draw' in the raw video menu to be disabled during recording. Doing this should give the least amount of CPU overhead. DIGIC Peaking and YUV zebras don't use CPU, so you can use those, though YUV zebras might not be exactly correct for raw video (YUV clips before raw does).

_OLLE_

allemyr

Also using various Lexar 1066X cards, they are great!

kidfob

Thanks for that info, dmilligan. And yes, allemyr. Lexar 1066x is the bees knees. I dont know why they have no peer. The 256GB 1200x Komputerbay cards are "branded" with a higher 1200x rating.

False advertising?

anto

Hi

this means the 5D MKII can record 1080+1920 continuous schooting?

I'm not a canon user I have an a7s and just thinking to switch to canon for raw!

Walter Schulz

No, it does not mean that.
If you want to do 4k continuously there is no ML enabled cam meeting this criteria.

anto

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 19, 2016, 02:37:07 PM
No, it does not mean that.
If you want to do 4k continuously there is no ML enabled cam meeting this criteria.
No, 1920*1080 on the 5d mkII
no 4k

Inviato dal mio HTC One utilizzando Tapatalk

allemyr

I'am a 5D3 user and I've tested the A7s sometime, S-log is good but the quailty of raw is ofcourse better. I wouldn't bother with the Canon 5DII at al the 5D3 is so much better in terms of image quailty. My suggestion before changing camera would be to not sell the A7s before trying the 5D3 for a while. For me 1080p raw is the best compromise. I wouldn't like to record in 4k raw because of the 4 times bigger file sizes. I think raw takes up around 6gb per minute in 1080p 23,976fps.

kidfob

Good point but the quality of 1080p RAW is a no go for dual iso.

Too much aliasing...

2.5k crop mode is the way to go for dual iso.

anto

Quote from: kidfob on June 23, 2016, 01:25:36 AM
Good point but the quality of 1080p RAW is a no go for dual iso.

Too much aliasing...

2.5k crop mode is the way to go for dual iso.
Si....
Now that I find 2,5k continuous shooting its possible, I'm just thinking to sell my a7s and buy a 5d mkIII....
But I'm not sure yet.
Also I'm sure raw is better....

Inviato dal mio HTC One utilizzando Tapatalk

kidfob

That's an interesting point. I'd love to see side by side completed projects from a7s and 5d3 dual iso 2.5k.

I wonder what would look better and have more "apparent" dynamic range. Its hard to imagine any DSLR being better than a maxxed out 5d3, but I admit I havent used many other DSLRs. Only the GH2.

Any have sample a7s footage?

kidfob

This is a really good feature option. This way we can expose properly before recording without having to disable things from the menu.

Any way we can get this into a nightly build?