Magic Lantern 14bit Raw R&B Music Video Shoot Canon 6D 1280X720 16:9 Feedback

Started by Lakwaun, May 17, 2016, 09:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lakwaun

Just showing off my halfway successful Magic Lantern 14bit Raw .mlv shoot. The card failed on me and I had to reformat on location and couldnt shoot the second half of the video raw but after a lot of trial and error I know now why the card fails some of the time and have to do a reformat causing the magic lantern to be erased on location.

MAG

Interesting story...

Could you tell us what was your probleme and how you solved it ?

KelvinK

never ever reformatted Sandisk extreme pro cards since first ML install, overall several terabytes recorded so far :)
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

PaulHarwood856

HeyKelvinK,

Can you elaborate on not reformatting Sandisk Extreme Pro cards after first ML install? I did this recently and all my files got corrupted. Had to use recovery software and repair the mov files (H.264). I was afraid I got a counterfeit card, but talked to Sandisk and found my 64 GB card to be one of the first models of Extreme Pro. I sent it to them to receive a new one (Lifetime Warranty). I shot with a T3i with movie restart enabled. I would really appreciate a response. Thanks so much.

- Paul Harwood

Levas

@Lakwaun
You can format in camera, the 6d, go to the format screen in CANON menu and you can see the option 'keep ML files' or something like that, which is enabled by default.
This way, your card is formatted and ML stays on the card (It probably moves the files to the buffer memory of the camera while formatting the card, and after formatting is done it copies the ML files back to the card)

Lakwaun

Hello. I don't know why but I did not get any alerts about replys to my thread. It must be the settings.
The thing what is was is I had had older files on the card from another shoot and forgot to erase them really via the computer and when on location I filled up one card and had switched to another with magic lantern which had the older shoots files on it and I reformatted the card saving magic lantern but then started to record my first scene but after finished and tried to start another scene a "card unreadable or something about restarting the camera" if you find it an error or something was popping up on the screen but pretty much I could not record anything even disabling mlv raw and playback and everything i could not use the card without reformatting with no "Q to keep" magic lantern option. If I would have had a laptop on location I could have re put magic lantern back on and wait for the modules to boot cause it always takes a while after reformatting and shot raw more!!!!

This happen twice to me on another shoot that was very important but winded up loosing all those files after spending a whole day learnign data recovery the files would just play a little audio then a high pitch sound with no video after recovery.

Im still learning though

PaulHarwood856

Hey Lakwaun,

Please message me. I have a solution for fixing corrupted files. Also, make sure not to use SD cards for T3i above 32 gb.

- Paul Harwood

djkraq

I liked the sharpness and some of the elements.  But the story of the video, theme seems misconjointed.  Some of the camera movements don't make sense to me.  The static camera shots don't really add anything to the song as well.  I probably would have done focus pulls and zooms as well.  The color temperatures changing between scenes seemed random, like you didn't set your white balance correctly.  The establishing shot at the window turned into a scene was weird.  It seemed cool for a minute, but then him standing at the window with us not seeing who he was talking to on the phone was awkward.  And then the girl kinda magically appears on the bed with no real follow through.  Lookup YCIMAGING.  He helped me out with some of my videos as well.  Here's one of the videos I worked on.  Camera movement with certain songs really adds depth.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI388Ml-yeI

Tyronetheterrible

For future reference, for what it's worth, I have on several occasions been able to restore my MLV files from SD cards that have corrupted by inserting the card into my Mac, selecting "Initialize" when the option appears, and "repair disk" in Disk Utility. Then I simply re-insert the SD card, and then they are accessible. Something to keep in mind if you have a Mac, and want to recover your files on a corrupted SD card before reformatting.